• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another extremely hard decision to make

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
Sir Bonkalot (Bonkers) has been losing weight despite all attempts to fatten him up. He's old and vet reckons things are more or less just packing up. He's now urinating all over his back end several times a day and i'm forever cleaning and/or bathing him. He's getting sore now from the urine scald and just sits there most of the time. But - he's still eating. I think he's only eating for eatings sake to stay alive and I think his time may have come. But I'm filled with guilt as I'm not totally sure if i should. Been here before and it's the worst decision ever. I always prefer to do things perhaps that little bit sooner rather than wait until he's really uncomfortable and suffering - I don't see the point in keeping him alive just for him to suffer. At the same time because he's eating I really am torn :? Help.

You have to go with your instinct on this one. Only you know what his quality of life is like compared to his normal. When in a similar situation, Jane said to remember out is better a day early than a day late. It was what I needed to know.

Im so sorry you're faced with this.

Rabbits can keep eating even if they are ready to go. They have a huge instinct to survive and that keeps fighting even if really physically and mentally he is ready to go.

I wrote posted something on someone sthread about when to let go but I can't find it. It might be useful to read. I'll keep looking.

For my Rabbits I feel that it is usually the case that there needs to be more than 'he/she is still eating'

This was Jack the evening before his scheduled PTS.

Picture643.jpg

He had lost all use of his back end, he had an inoperable tumour on his hip and he was starting to get sore from weeing on himself. I could have kept Jack going for a few more weeks, months even. But for Jack I wanted him to pass with dignity whilst still feeling 'OK within himself'. He had a huge feast of all his favourite foods on the morning of his passing. He passed very, very peacefully a few minutes after nibbling some apple.

Obviously every case is different. But as Ali said, for the Rabbit better they go a day too soon than a day too late.

I can't find it, but this is what I wrote.

Sky-O said:
Having a Rabbit Put To Sleep​

It’s a sad fact that our rabbits live a relatively short life which can mean that we have to make some pretty heartbreaking decisions.

If a rabbit gets ill or has an injury or an accident there is a possibility that the rabbit will not be able to get better and the kindest thing for the rabbit is to let them go and have them put to sleep to avoid suffering.

This can be incredibly hard decision for an owner to have to make because it’s such a huge decision being left in your hands. Nothing can make the decision easier but sometimes some stress can be removed by the situation.

Sometimes you are aware that your rabbit is ill and may need to be put to sleep at some point, however, at other times an injury or acute illness may occur that may not give you any warning that your rabbit needs to be put to sleep.

It is important to talk to your vet and find out their procedures for putting a rabbit to sleep. There are a variety of different methods that a vet can use and it may help you to prepare if you know and understand what might happen. It is also important to talk to the vet about whether or not you want to be present when your rabbit is put to sleep. Some people prefer to be whereas other people prefer not to be. Either option is ok but the method your vet uses to put your rabbit to sleep may depend on what you feel yours and your rabbit’s needs will be at that time.

It is also important to think about what you want to happen to your rabbit’s body when it has died. Some people like to take the body home to bury it, some want to have their rabbit cremated, others like the vets to take the body and for the vets to deal with the body. Knowing prior to an animal being put to sleep can be helpful because it means that in the stress of the situation you have all the decisions already made and can just focus on your rabbit.
If the unfortunate situation arises that you find your bunny has an acute problem where a decision needs to be made at the time it can be incredibly difficult. In those situations some of the following suggestions may be appropriate, however, a lot will be based on what the vet says and how much you trust what the vet says.

If your rabbit has a long term, more chronic problem, then you get more ‘preparation time’, but it can be incredibly hard to decide when the time is right, and even harder after you have made the decision because sometimes you might doubt what you have decided. It is important to liaise constantly with your vet but because the rabbit will generally be at home, in your care, a lot of the decision comes down to you and how you feel about your rabbit. There are several things to consider when deciding what is best and they can help make the decision ‘easier’.

~Ask yourself at any one time what is best for the rabbit. You have to put your own needs aside and be completely selfless for the sake of your animal and to ensure it does not suffer. If you constantly ask yourself what is best for the animal and are honest with yourself about what that is, regardless of your needs, then you won’t go wrong.

~Trust your gut instinct about when the time is right. You will probably feel deep down inside when the time is right. That’s what you should listen to. Invariably, once you feel that, you will then start to debate with yourself if it is right. ‘What if it’s too early?’, ‘What if I’m wrong’, ‘What if I’m reading the signs wrong?’, and many other things. You may also start to feel a horrid mix of emotions about losing your rabbit. Things like sadness, panic, anxiety, fear, feeling completely overwhelmed, and many other things too. As hard as it is, try to put aside everything that may cloud your decision and just follow what your gut instinct says. Essentially you need to trust yourself. Your animal trusts you to make the right decision, so you just need to trust yourself.

~There are things to look out for when making your decision. It is important to remember these are not the be all and end all because any rabbit can exhibit these symptoms, so it’s important to look at the full picture and also discuss your feelings and what you’re seeing with your vet.

-Appetite- As rabbits are prey animals they hide their illness for as long as possible. If a rabbit is showing signs of going off food s/he normally enjoys or showing less interest than normal in food then that an important sign to be aware of. It does not mean the rabbit necessarily needs to be put to sleep, although that is an option, but it does mean it needs to be seen by a vet. It is important to watch out for why the rabbit’s behaviour may have changed. For example, a rabbit with respiratory problems may want to eat and go up to the food, but be unable to eat and breathe so walks away. Having said that, some rabbits, depending on their problem, can eat right to the end and still get enjoyment for food, so whilst appetite is an indicator, and it is important to pay attention to it, it is also not the be all and end all when it comes to making a decision.

-Behaviour- How your rabbit is acting can be key when working out how it feels and what is best. The better you know your rabbit and its behaviour, the easier it will be to identify behavioural changes. There is no set behaviour to look out for, so it is important to note any changes, such as a rabbit being more ‘snuggly’ than normal, being more vicious than normal, hiding away more than normal, etc. If you see any of these changes its important to look at what they may mean and why your rabbit may be acting that way. There may be an explanation outside of an illness, but that still needs to be considered and thought about.

-Options- It’s important to look at whether there are any more options that could help your rabbit, as well as if it’s best to try them, such as different medication, a different veterinary opinion or a different environment (such as potentially bringing an outdoor bunny inside). However, it is important to note that even if something can be done, it doesn’t always mean it should be done, or would be best for the rabbit involved, so bear that in mind when making any decision about the different options you have. Also, what may be best for one bunny may not be best for another due to personalities and personal tolerances of different situations.

If the rabbit has a long term illness that you know is likely to end in the rabbit needing to be put to sleep then often the bit between learning that, and making the decision is the hardest bit because a lot of people spend that time grieving prematurely for their animal, but also often in a state of anxiety about ‘will I get it right?’, ‘will I miss the signs’, ‘what if I get it wrong?’, and many other questions too. It is not uncommon to find that when you do get to the day that you truly know is the right day and have made that decision, that you may feel a sense of peace and calm after all the anxiety and turmoil. This generally occurs because all your doubts have gone and eased and you know you’re doing the absolute right thing for your rabbit.

Another point worth remembering is that it’s better to have an animal put to sleep one day early, than one day late. This prevents the animal suffering unnecessarily, but, as with everything else, comes down to trust in yourself and your rabbit.

If your rabbit does have a terminal illness, then in the interim before finding that out and the rabbit having to be put to sleep try to make as many memories as possible, with photos and videos. Sometimes making that rabbits life so amazing can help them to far exceed vets expectations for their lifespan. It can also help you to know that you made that rabbits life absolutely stunning and that they ‘went out on a high’. All those things can bring comfort in the future, when you’re grieving for and missing your rabbit.

The last thing to say is that by having your rabbit put to sleep you are showing one of the greatest acts of love anyone can show their pet. You are doing what is best for your rabbit despite the fact it will invariably cause you a great deal of pain. In time hopefully you will be able to draw comfort from the fact that your animal was loved right to the end and that you did the best thing for him or her.

Ali - I agree with what you say, thank you xx

Jane - Thanks for replying - you have helped me with your response and I agree with all you say also.

Sky-O - Thank you for posting that. It made me cry but it's very true. The fact I came on to ask if I should let him go most likely means that it is time. I genuinely feel like it's best to do it now than wait. His spark has gone. I'm just so upset for him. Why is it that these buns spend years being mistreated, then they seem to wait for a home that loves them then they have to go :cry:

Hugs, it must be really hard. Hope what the others have posted helps a bit.

Noserubs to the special boy. xx

Ali - I agree with what you say, thank you xx

Jane - Thanks for replying - you have helped me with your response and I agree with all you say also.

Sky-O - Thank you for posting that. It made me cry but it's very true. The fact I came on to ask if I should let him go most likely means that it is time. I genuinely feel like it's best to do it now than wait. His spark has gone. I'm just so upset for him. Why is it that these buns spend years being mistreated, then they seem to wait for a home that loves them then they have to go :cry:

*squish* You're welcome.

Bunnies live for today. It doesn't matter to them what the past has held, only that today they are happy and loved. Yes, some have mental and/or physical scars from their years of pain but that doesn't mean they can't be happy. What matters most to your chap is that he is loved and cared for. That will mean more to him than those years of pain.

*squish* You're welcome.

Bunnies live for today. It doesn't matter to them what the past has held, only that today they are happy and loved. Yes, some have mental and/or physical scars from their years of pain but that doesn't mean they can't be happy. What matters most to your chap is that he is loved and cared for. That will mean more to him than those years of pain.

Thank you xx I just wish he had longer being loved. I'll see what the vet says tomorrow but I'm fairly certain I most likely wont be coming back with him :( I expect the guilt to come and go as it does.
I'm hoping he's calm enough to just have the injection into his ear. The vet did that with my bridge bun elliot and he didn't flinch at all and went to sleep snuggled into my hand.

You've given him a wonderful life - the quality of that is invaluable, even although he hasn't had as long as you would have liked. xxx

We also say a day early rather than a day too late. we lost Jojo this week and she was eating and binkying the day before so I felt awful but Steve said to me that it is always best to go out on a high than have to struggle with a low.

I always think that if a bunny is eating really well and still loosing a significant amount of weight then it says as much as a bunny who has no appetite :( We never take just eating as a guide on whether to pts, we look at the bigger picture including what the next day and he next day has to offer them.

Thinking of you which ever decision you go with xx

You've given him a wonderful life - the quality of that is invaluable, even although he hasn't had as long as you would have liked. xxx

That's very true. Thanks. I'm just glad when he does go it's with love and not stuck suffering in a little cage on his own which could easily have been the outcome months ago.

Liz - thanks for responding. Your reply has also made me think about what the next and next day has to offer and it's no improvement in the very least - will only get worse. I remember asking similar before. At the moment he's not thriving, he's only surviving really. Unless the vet persuades me otherwise, then I will look on tomorrow as the day he will have to go :(

He knows hes loved.Even from miles away, hes loved.
Do what you think is right.and tell him Ive loved him from the start.:cry:

Back