• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nest building/ being neutered today

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone ever had a rabbit as old as 9 years build nests? I can't say i have ever seen it :?

I hate it when they nest build, it is so frantic I just feel they must be really stressed :(

Looks like we will have to get her neutered :(

Last edited:
Yes, I have seen it in an 11 year old entire Doe and of course I have poor Brian who has been nesting too :cry: That has stopped for now thank goodness.

I know what you mean about it being distressing to watch in a Rabbit who is not doing it for kindling :cry:

I don't think they know what they are doing, I don't think they will be disappointed when they don't have kits. I think it's just instincts.

I don't think they know what they are doing, I don't think they will be disappointed when they don't have kits. I think it's just instincts.

I don;t think they are disappointed either, thats not what i meant! The actual behaviour of nest building in itself makes them really frantic and stressed. Dora is banging her foot and generally get upset as she does it. This is what is upsetting, not the fact that she is making a nest and not having babies

I don;t think they are disappointed either, thats not what i meant! The actual behaviour of nest building in itself makes them really frantic and stressed. Dora is banging her foot and generally get upset as she does it. This is what is upsetting, not the fact that she is making a nest and not having babies

I understood what you meant :D

I have a nine month old unneutered buck at the moment & he is driving me mad! Must be Spring that is doing it. He just runs up and down and thumps. I shall have to make him an appointment to get his bits snipped off....he is upsetting everyone else too!

Thanks Jane, would you risk neutering a 9 year old because of it if she was healthy in all other respects :?

Not sure I'd rush into it really. If this is her first nesting episode I think I would probably adopt a wait and see scenario. Obviously if she had frequent pseudopregnancies I'd have a rethink.

The 11 year old Doe had to have an emergency spay as she developed a pyometra. She did survive and lived happily for another 2 years.

She was a neighbours Rabbit, for 11 years lived lose in the garden 24/7, fed on white bread and cabbage :shock: Never vaccinated, infact never taken to a Vet at all. Strong as an Ox, never ill til the pyo'. That is when I took over her care.

Hey-ho !!

Not sure I'd rush into it really. If this is her first nesting episode I think I would probably adopt a wait and see scenario. Obviously if she had frequent pseudopregnancies I'd have a rethink.

The 11 year old Doe had to have an emergency spay as she developed a pyometra. She did survive and lived happily for another 2 years.

She was a neighbours Rabbit, for 11 years lived lose in the garden 24/7, fed on white bread and cabbage :shock: Never vaccinated, infact never taken to a Vet at all. Strong as an Ox, never ill til the pyo'. That is when I took over her care.

Hey-ho !!

I have booked her in for a check up next week as that was the plan anyway. When she arrived a few weeks ago she did flinch when her abdomen was checked so there may be an issue with it, but it might just be that she was very nervous at the time. The vet wanted to give her a chance to settle down and they check again. Thanks for your input:wave:

Liz, my Flora does it. She's 9 years old and NEUTERED! She was neutered by the RSPCA when she was about 5 months old. My vet thinks that they may have left behind the tiniest bit of reproductive material and it's making her hormonal. She does have mamary tumours too. She's nesting at the moment as it happens. Poor Parsnip keeps trying to take a nap in his tray and Flora's turfing all the hay out.

Dora had a full health check today and the vet felt we should go ahead with her neuter, so she is having it today. I am very nervous :(

When do you expect news? Sending lots of vibes for lovely Dora. xxx

I will ring at 2 if I haven't heard anything but they did say they would ring me. In these situations no news is good news :)

Also have our old boy Herman in for yet another dental. His mouth was a mess :(

Will be thinking about Dora and Herman today. It is wonderful to think that she will, at last, be able to life without frustration!

Dora has come through her neuter really well. Uterus was normal :D I am so relieved after all the problems with Fifi and Poppet.

herman is still asleep as only just been done but at least he has done OK so far. It is always a real worry when he has a GA

Well done Dora, and continuing vibes for Herman. I'm still trying to think of a goo caption for his picture in the magazine. :?

Back