• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My three rabbits haven't been bonded yet

I have three male (neutered) rabbits, two of them are bonded but hate the third. The third (Pixel - a mini lop) is almost a year younger than my nethies (Plusle and Minun). The nethies are around a year and a half old, and Pixel is about 8 months. Pixel was neutered at around 4 months and has completely calmed down (doesn't spray anymore). They are all house bunnies and live in the same room (my bedroom) but different hutches. When they're together they fight so much that I know they'd kill Pixel if left for too long (although Pixel's much bigger and seemingly stronger). Pixel has been hurt so many times by the nethies when he's accidently escaped.

I've tried introducing them slowly but they've never got on. It's really difficult because it means they need to be let out and different times and I feel so sorry for Pixel (who is very social) as he has no bunny friends. He's so intrigued by the nethies but he just annoys/frightens them. Another note: Pixel is completely deaf and I feel that this makes him slightly less aware of how the nethies feel (he can't hear them squeaking at him).

It's so bad that I have to cover the nethies cage when Pixel is out because they bite him through the bars...

I've had some help before from Rabbits United, but they are still not bonded.

Please help!!! :cry:

You need to bond them in a certain manner, you can't just let them into a space they share, as that'll cause territorial fighting.

You need a small, neutral space (somewhere NoBun has been before) to bond them, and a good amount of time to watch them (some bonds can take a few days, some can take a few weeks, etc) - then when you want them back in your room, you'll need to completely neutralise it to ensure none of them can detect their/other bunnies scents as that'll then cause scrapping again and possible injuries.

I dont have time post more right now but hope someone else will or i'll do so a little later but didnt want to read and run.

Can you explain what you're doing when it comes to bonding them?

Hearing is not a primary method of communication so deafness shouldn't impact on how he unerstands them, it might just make him more anxious and jumpy if they surprise him. He will be able to sense their mood. Also, just in case you haven't, the only bunnies I have had who have been very vocal have been that way due to a suspected/likely malformation in their respiratory tract or a health issue so it might be worth getting them checked out.

Also, if you put really small mesh over the bars then they won't be able to get to him to bite him and vice versa. You may have referred aggression issues but aggression from them to him, or him to them is expected on unneutral territory.

Ok, so I understand that they need to be bonding on neutral territory. And I know that I need to take some time, sit with them and watch them whilst they get to know each other (with a broom/water gun/etc). All I want to know should I have them all together at once from the start? And how do I know that they wont just ignore the broom and kill each other! I hate it so much when they fight.

Sky-O, they all make noise. Slightly worried that all my bunnies are ill now. I don't know if I have enough money at the moment to book all three of them into the vets because they make noise as they always have. :?

Thanks for the replies.

Gorgeous bunnies!

In my experience if they are starting a fight a broom etc isn't enough to stop them, I used thick, padded motorbike gloves (stolen from my generous BF) so that I could intervene more directly if I saw something starting.

I'd advise doing loads and loads of research about body language and behaviour before you begin trying to bond them again, you need to be able to understand the "rabbitspeak" in every ear, tail and body movement in order to know how things are going and if they're about to turn nasty.

At the moment both sides see the room they are in as their territory. Every time they have access to it they discover some other bunny from another warren has been all over it and put their intruder scent on it! When they aren't having access they're watching somebunny from another warren playing in their territory.

Their heated reactions are totally normal and to have a chance at successfully bonding them you will need to try and minimise the sense of ongoing intrusion and competition before you try again.

I would keep them in different areas where they can't see each other and after a month or so forgetting about those other bunnies they've already been in fights with, try starting again.

Make sure you read the sticky at the top of this forum section all about bonding trios ;)

Also take a look at my recent topic bonding my pair that had previously accidentally gotten together and fought, it can be sorted out, but you have to be very cautious indeed...
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?330902-Turning-tail-*friends-again-now.

Thank you :)

Yes, gloves are a good idea. Wouldn't want to put my bare hand inbetween them again, I've got a deep scar that I've had for a good 5 months now from the first time I did that!

I suppose a real problem I have is space. They have a good amount of space in my bedroom and I take them outside all the time. But I don't have a permanent run/hutch outside. I don't really have the space to keep them away from each other for any extended amount of time. I live at home with my family and the rabbits are 'my responsibility' and therefore not to be put around the house. Also, we have a cat, just to add complication.

I was thinking of bonding them in my BF's room, but as he's never really home, I couldn't leave the bunnies there for longer than the weekend (when I'm there watching them).

Any ideas?

I suppose a real problem I have is space. They have a good amount of space in my bedroom and I take them outside all the time. But I don't have a permanent run/hutch outside. I don't really have the space to keep them away from each other for any extended amount of time. I live at home with my family and the rabbits are 'my responsibility' and therefore not to be put around the house. Also, we have a cat, just to add complication.

I'm sure if you share your research with your parents and explain that these temporary measures will ultimately make the bonding possible and prevent any further fights (and possible vet fees when someone gets injured), they may be able to accommodate you for say a month.

Bonding is a difficult process and if you don't have the necessary space and time, it's unlikely to be successful. Alternatively you could see if anyone in your area offers a "bonding service" where they would all go and board with someone experienced at the process and hopefully come back good friends (but your room and everything in it would still need to be neutralised while they were away)

:)

Yes, it's just difficult with the cat. I think if I knew a room that Pixel could live in for a month then it would be fine, but I can't really think of anywhere.

I don't suppose you (or anyone else) knows of a bonding service in London? And what that would cost?

:)

Back