• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help my rabbit is

I got up this morning to find my year and a half old buck not moving !

I have clean the cage out that he shares with a doe (both has had the snip)but he still has not move he just looks sad ! He hasn't eaten or drinking anything all day !

And he I always lively soon as I go near the cage he is up like lightning wanting to play but its like a u turn .

What could it be and what can I do ?

He is just on all fours not laying down or anything !

This is an extremely serious situation for a rabbit. regardless of what the original cause of illness is (and that will need to be treated) the fact he has not eaten or had a drink means his gut system will start shutting down - rabbits are NOT like dogs and cats and will get extremely ill very rapidly if they do not eat - they can literally die within 36 hours I am NOT trying to scare you but stating the facts/

You must try and get the rabbit to a vet THIS EVENING - when you ring the vets tell them he has not eaten all day and stress the urgency of the situation.

I take it that if you have had them neutered you have a good rabbit savvy vet already - if not (or if you have any doubts) post another thread stating your location and asking for advice and guidance on locating a good rabbit vet.

please act NOW.

PS Whatever the actual cause of the problem the rabbit will now need a painkiller of some kind, re-hydration fluids, and a gut stimulant - the vet will give you all these - they are not something you can buy ove rthe counter. They are very specific to rabbts.

As has been stated, he needs urgent veterinary attention. So call your Vet now and arrange to have him seen within this afternoon.

You need to get him to a vet immediately a rabbit who hasn't eaten for a day is extremely ill. If he's refusing food his gut will slow/stop and he will become extremely ill.

Where are you located?

Back