• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

shed warmers

kerrylouise

Warren Scout
please please please can someone tell me any where to buy a heater for my shed.
i knw that sootie is warm but he hates being copued up in the bed part of the hucth (even though its huge) and it is starting to stress him out. i can't bring him indoors to stay in doors so i was thinking that if i can get a shed heater thn he will be much happier.
does anyone have any ideas? anything will be very much appreciated :)

please please please can someone tell me any where to buy a heater for my shed.
i knw that sootie is warm but he hates being copued up in the bed part of the hucth (even though its huge) and it is starting to stress him out. i can't bring him indoors to stay in doors so i was thinking that if i can get a shed heater thn he will be much happier.
does anyone have any ideas? anything will be very much appreciated :)

you dont really need one you know as long as they have plenty of hay and have there winter coats they will be fine :)
think how do wild rabbits do when it gets cold ? just provide them with lots and lots of hay
also why not use a snuggle safe and heat that up for sottie?

you dont really need one you know as long as they have plenty of hay and have there winter coats they will be fine :)
think how do wild rabbits do when it gets cold ? just provide them with lots and lots of hay
also why not use a snuggle safe and heat that up for sottie?

just worry about him bless him
he has a snuggle safe but because he gets locked in the bedroom part (which i must say is huge) he gets stressed and has now started fur pulling almost like how we would self harm ourselves so i i can heat the shed he can have much more freedom

Do you have to lock him in the bedroom part?

He might not be so stressed if he could hop about the shed - my four actually sit out in the run part even in the coldest of weathers! :shock:

Tubular greenhouse heaters are best as they give out a steady trickle of heat.

I run three every night and they cost the equivelent of 2p per hour each. They make a difference of about 4 degrees in the sheds.

Do you have to lock him in the bedroom part?

He might not be so stressed if he could hop about the shed - my four actually sit out in the run part even in the coldest of weathers! :shock:

if i dont lock him in the bedroom part he sits in the run all night and shivers because he is so cold and he refuses to move to the bed part (not the cleverest)

I run three every night and they cost the equivelent of 2p per hour each. They make a difference of about 4 degrees in the sheds.

how big is you shed? just trying to figure out how many to buy

i have a heater at the mo that costs me loads where do you get these from?

Both my buns are outdoors bunnys!!! They have a hutch snuggle and hugger. Lots of hay and 2 snuggle pads. They are both quite happy outside in the cold or warm. Try a snuggle pad or 2 left lying around in run area??? If he's adamant he wants to sit out there he may snuggle on down by them as warm????

I sooo wish I could have mine in a shed outside!!!!!!!! Other half won't let me!!

Hi Kerry,

Could you stop him having access to the run so that he'd be warmer in the shed? I lock mine in the shed overnight.

I had tubular heaters in mine and they do keep the temp above freezing (Argos or online).

Now they have a larger shed 8 x 6 ft I have a panel heater which I can put on time and put it half on etc.

I had tubular heaters in mine and they do keep the temp above freezing (Argos or online).

Now they have a larger shed 8 x 6 ft I have a panel heater which I can put on time and put it half on etc.

the shed is 8 x 10 ft so just thinking how many i need to get for him to be able to not have him locked away at night

Have you got a thermometer in the shed? I bought one which measures the indoor and outdoor temperature (outdoor hangs out of a tiny hole in the shed wall) to see how much difference there was so I can see if there's much improvement when I insulate my shed ready for the buns to move outside in the spring. It might be worth buying a thermometer and one heater and see how much difference it makes then if need be buy another heater until you get a temperature both you and Sootie are happy with.

Have you got a thermometer in the shed? I bought one which measures the indoor and outdoor temperature (outdoor hangs out of a tiny hole in the shed wall) to see how much difference there was so I can see if there's much improvement when I insulate my shed ready for the buns to move outside in the spring. It might be worth buying a thermometer and one heater and see how much difference it makes then if need be buy another heater until you get a temperature both you and Sootie are happy with.

yea thats a good idea thank you :)
was alos thinking of getting a green house ype cover and putting that over it, if i can find a big enough one

I don't think you need to lock him away. My buns can be out at 4am and they're still fine in this weather. I have two bits of paving slab that I heat up in the oven and cover with fleece. They sit on those like a snuggle safe when they want to. They're pretty hardy to the cold when they have a winter coat. As long as the rabbit has the option of shelter I'm sure they would choose to go in it if they were too cold. I reckon he will avoid going in the bedroom because you lock him in there, so it's probably detrimental, in my opinion. :wave:

Back