• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not pooping or peeing!

Sugarcube

Young Bun
Yesterday, I put Levi in this puppy pen so he could stretch a bit for a few hours. I noticed he didn't poop or pee at all. I thought it's okay as it was only 2 hours that he hasn't done anything. I go to the toilet every 3 days, but I pee around 3 times a day, so I thought it was alright for Levi to be slow.
Today I put him in the pen again, still nothing. So I gave him some pineapple juice and after 10 minutes he pooped a bit. His poop looked a bit like cecotropes but didn't smell bad. No hair in his poop either. I also found some pee in his litter box a while ago. But I don't know why this is happening. I even massage his belly, but it doesn't seem to help him.

I'm very worried, I never experienced such thing with my previous rabbits :(

Is he pooing in his normal accommodation (hutch/pen)?
If he's not doing a lot he needs a vet. It can be gut slowdown, stasis or a blockage/impaction. Only a vet can really tell. Do you have someone who is goo with rabbits or at least accepts them as pets? I know it's quite hard in Australia as they are classed as pests.

Pineapple juice is good for fur blockage but if it's stasis it could make it worse. It's very hard to tell on the internet. Running around is good though. I hope someone more experienced comes along soon.

Just to add, some rabbits who are litter trained will not go to the toilet when they're out. If he's pooing in the hutch you might want to put a litter tray in the pen with him.

He has a litte tray in his cage and a litter tray in his pen. He's very clean and always uses them, except from some "accident poo" he leaves on his way to the litter tray. I didn't even needed to train him for that.

Most Australians do think rabbits are pests, but we do have some rabbit savvy vets here. If Levi keeps going like this I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow.

Now, about eating and drinking, he doesn't really eat but he does drink. He ate the treats that I gave him yesterday.

OK if you aren't happy with his intake, which does sound minimal.
If he has only eaten treats yesterday & nothing else at all then you really need to get him to the vet today.
Has he eaten any normal bunny stuff - hay, veg, pellets?
A bun thats not eating/pooing properly is an emergency, so its best to get onto it today.
In the mean time try to tempt him with things he likes to eat.

He eats hay, but not many pellets. Yesterday he ate normally, today he is eating less. He is eating some lettuce right now (that's all I have plus some carrots, but he had carrot yesterday).
He acts completely normal, only difference is he has been grooming himself more lately. That's why I suspect a hairball in him, but I find no fur in his poo. :?

Last edited:
Ok well I guess its your call, perhaps close monitoring & encouraging him to eat & drink will do the trick.
But declining appetite & poo's would have me worried.
Early vet intervention can make all the difference.
What time zone are you? How long til the vets close today?

It's only lunchtime here (12 pm) I have about 5-6 hours I think. At the moment nobody's at home so I can't get him to the vet yet. If I start walking it's probably going to take an hour to get there, poor Levi will be mortified closed in a pet carrier for an hour :(

I will try to get him to the vet as soon as my friends come back, I don't think they will be long. If they are, I will call them and let them know.

Good sounds like a plan.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Appearing like a panicking bunny mum is preferable to waiting until the next day & things taking a turn for the worse overnight.

Levi has an appointment at 3:15pm :)
He has pooped more and I found some more pee in his litter box too. He also ate some of his pellets, but I'm going to the vet anyway, it's never bad to have a check up and see if everything is as fine as it seems. I know that rabbits can hide their illnesses pretty well.

We just got back from the vet.
Levi is just not producing nutricious cecotropes, that's why he doesn't eat them. This is also why his appetite is not so big.
He basically told me that I should get him a girlfriend with healthy cecotropes so he will be able to eat some of hers and mantain his digestive system. I talked to him about his diet and he said that nothing's wrong with it, he could just use some more veggies in his daily diet. So, it's all good :)

When I used to have to put Donny into his run, he would wait until he was back in the hutch to pee/poo ... :roll: even if I put the litter tray in with him he would ignore it. There would sometimes be a neat pile of poops but he would usually wait lol. We took him to the vet but they said he was just neat :lol:

Back