• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Prominant spine

rachylou

Warren Veteran
On examination today our vet noticed that Jims feels a bit boney, we have checked his weight and he has actually put on, he was 2.44kg and is now 2.52kg. What could be the reason for him feeling boney if he has put on weight?

So many reasons, but it is an indicator of some sort of problem. Having a full vet check, bloods, teeth, and everything would be sensible. Basically, whatever he didn't have today.

Are there any unusual signs or symptoms going on?

Did he get his vacc?

How old is he? As Sky-O says it can be due to illnes, but you can often feel the spine of old rabbits, even those in good health and condition otherwise.

moulting :?

I hope this is the reason!
The vet did a full examination, weight check, teeth check, jaw line check, bum check, tummy check, claw clipping, Lapinject, Metaclopramide as a follow up.
He said he just wanted to check his current weight against his previous weight and like I say he has gained.

On examination today our vet noticed that Jims feels a bit boney, we have checked his weight and he has actually put on, he was 2.44kg and is now 2.52kg. What could be the reason for him feeling boney if he has put on weight?

I had the exact same thing then 6months later when I took her again she had lost weight so the vet x-rayed her and then did an ultra sound. Turned out she has an enlarged heart and has been put on medication. She was also sneezing which is a sign of heart problems in cats.

If it is moulting then it means he is not coping with the moulting very well. An increase in protein may help. I agree with AMS, I've seen it in older, healthy bunnies, but who have gone frail. Mostly I see it in ill/vulnerable rabbits, and when it starts the cause often seems to be not known but often becomes clear in due course.

I dont know if I would actually call it prominant after having a good feel of him, he just feels a little boney.
The vet did not seem worried about him, just wanted to check he is not loosing weight.
Our vet said that he prefers bunnies to be 'skinny' as when they are over weight it can cause lots of problems and that Jimby is a healthy weight.

I have just spoken to another vet at our practice and he said that if it were something serious going on then our vet would have picked up on something on examination, he said that Jimby would be quite unwell before an illness caused an atatomy changes.
we have been advised to have him re weighed in a month and go from there, if he has lost weight then we may investigate further.

I remember when Teddy lost a small amount of weight (nothing drastic, but enough for me to notice.)

I took him to the vet who couldn't find anything wrong with him. She believed me that he wasn't "quite right" and sent off for bloods.

He had a very low white blood cell count and was fighting (and failing to win) against an infection somewhere. If we hadn't caught it when we did then it could have caused a lot of damage.

If I were you I'd ask for bloods....and if they try to fob you off I'd seek a second opinion!

I think Jimby is ok, he is a very happy boy, just a little boney, the vet said it could just be because he is entering middle age.
I will keep an eye on him as the vet has recommended and have him checked and weighed again in a month.
The vet is in agreement with me that doing lots of tests now when there is nothign really to say there is a problem would be potentially detrimental to Jimby's health and could CAUSE a problem due to how easily stressed he gets.

If you're comfortable with what the vet said and your gut instinct says that's right, then follow that; just bear in mind all that has been said.

(also, just so you know, I personally wouldn't count 3.5 as middle aged on your average, medium to small bunny- I would be looking to 5 for that, but I still see no reason for middle age to make a bunny boney otherwise 13 of mine would have a protruding spine).

Follow your gut instinct with him and you will see him right :)

I'd really get a blood test. If I'd left it with Teddy then in a month he'd have been in a bad way as his body wasn't coping with the infection. He had absolutely no outward signs that anything could be wrong other than feeling a bit boney. (I don't go by weight but by how they "feel".)

It doesn't hurt to get a blood test, but can hurt to wait...especially where bunnies are concerned.

I wouldn't say 3 is middle aged for a normal sized bun, so it's an unexplained loss of body condition. If there's no obvious external reasons behind it then you have to look internally.

Of course it's up to you and your vet, but I'd want a blood test....now, not in a month.

Our vet is not in now till next thursday so I will wait and speak to him about all of this and see what he thinks.

Back