• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ive taken in a bun...

THIS POST WAS POSTED ON A FORUM YESTERDAY. HER LITTLE LODGERS SEEM TO HAVE DIED AND ABANDONED SHIP AND SHES VERY BRIGHT AND ACTIVE FOR THE MOMENT. SHE WILL START A COURSE OF PANACUR TOMORROW AND HAVE HER VHD IN 2 WEEKS TIME. I WILL HAVE HER SPAYED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND PLAN TO REHOME HER AS AN INDOOR BUN OR OUTDOOR BUN WITH ANOTHER RABBIT FOR COMPANY. HERE IS THE THREAD I POSTED ON ANOTHER FORUM YESTERDAY, AND SOME PICTURES I TOOK THIS MORNING.

She was dumped on the site of an old tip, with a load of guinea pigs. We think there are still some rabbits and guinea pigs there, but one of the vet nurses and a dog walker managed to catch 15 of the piggies and one of the buns. Shes a little magpie bun, not sure what breed but her ears are out of control! We have no idea how old she could be either, how can you estimate a buns age?

She was quite lethargic when she went in yesterday and is full of fleas, but shes eating well now and her poos are looking better. Shes currently settling in to the playhouse. Im just warming up some snuggle safes and im going to take a few pellets and some herbs out for her. I dont know what shes been though, but she seems a very sweet little thing. The plan is to rehome her, as i have to think of my own bunnies first, but i really think im going to get attached to this cutie.

She had her myxi today and will be going back for her VHD in a couple of weeks. Im just wondering, given where she came from, is it sensible to give her a course of panacur?

Sorry its all very rushed! I havent stopped yet.

TODAYS UPDATE: SORRY ALL OF THIS HAS BEEN COPIED FROM MY POSTS ON ANOTHER FORUM I HOPE IT MAKES SENSE!

Shes great today :) Hopping around the playhouse quite confidently this morning. Its when it starts to get dark she becomes nervous of me, i guess its hard being in a new environment and not being able to see as well in the dark. Her poos are looking a lot bigger :) and all her little friends seemed to have died and abandoned ship. She should be able to come inside for some snuggles and a closer inspection tomorrow afternoon. :)
Ive had a lot of people asking about her, and someone who wants her, but im really not sure about this person. Shes asked for advice in the past and not taken it, her bun is still not spayed either and looks to be massively overweight, which imo is borderline neglect. Is this good enough grounds to say no? Shes not going anywhere yet anyway. Ive got some pictures now too...

I have my own house...
GEDC2122.jpg

...and it has lots of hay!
GEDC2124.jpg

I have a shelf too...
GEDC2126.jpg

Waheyy...
GEDC2135.jpg

Im also a pretty colour...
GEDC2136.jpg

And i likes my noms, but i would like a husbun to share them with...
GEDC2137.jpg

I am looking for a girl bun for my little boy who is a harlequin. I've been looking for another harly especially a magpie! :love:

I would be interested in rehoming her as long as she is speyed/vaccinated and had a full dental check!
I can offer a brilliant home with lots of love, a gorgeous boy who is missing a friend dearly and 24 hour access to the whole of my bedroom with outside time during the summer!

Of course I don't want to take her asap. She will need time to settle and quarantining until your 100% sure she is healthy :) I also would want to come and see her when she is ready to have visitors :p

Where are you based? Someone told me you were near Saltburn? I don't live too far from there.

Sorry to sound so keen but my bun is getting very lonely and you don't come across magpie harly's very often! There are also very few female buns in this area available for rehoming :(

I've got a big soft spot for magpie harliquins, well all harlequins... but she's like the lovely Little Dot with uppy ears :love::love:

She's beautiful, well done for giving her a new life

I am looking for a girl bun for my little boy who is a harlequin. I've been looking for another harly especially a magpie! :love:

I would be interested in rehoming her as long as she is speyed/vaccinated and had a full dental check!
I can offer a brilliant home with lots of love, a gorgeous boy who is missing a friend dearly and 24 hour access to the whole of my bedroom with outside time during the summer!

Of course I don't want to take her asap. She will need time to settle and quarantining until your 100% sure she is healthy :) I also would want to come and see her when she is ready to have visitors :p

Where are you based? Someone told me you were near Saltburn? I don't live too far from there.

Sorry to sound so keen but my bun is getting very lonely and you don't come across magpie harly's very often! There are also very few female buns in this area available for rehoming :(

Yes im in Saltburn. I have someone else interested in her, but their bun is currently getting over an infection and is waiting to be spayed. She is having a 28 day course of panacur starting tomorrow and her VHD will be done in a couple of weeks time. As for spaying, she will be done before being rehomed, as to when, im not sure just yet. I will be asking for an adoption fee though, obviously it doesnt cover my costs but will be about 50% of the spay price, so £30-40.

As far as visits and play dates go, its 100% fine by me, as long as your buns are vaccinated and neutered, which im sure they are. ;) The vet said that she couldnt see any problems with her teeth when she checked with the ottoscope, but i will ask them to have a good look around when they spay her. Feel free to PM me with some contact details, as i dont use this forum very often now and will likely forget!!

Oh she is looks to be quite the sweetie! Is she settling in well? She looks quite relaxed.

I'd say those were good ground to say no, althoughy I'd word it differently to them. I'd say something along the lines that you dont want her bonded to an unspayed bun, and also dont want her going to a home taht cant afford to spay a bun, in case she has future health issues...

Oh she is looks to be quite the sweetie! Is she settling in well? She looks quite relaxed.

I'd say those were good ground to say no, althoughy I'd word it differently to them. I'd say something along the lines that you dont want her bonded to an unspayed bun, and also dont want her going to a home taht cant afford to spay a bun, in case she has future health issues...

^^ I agree too....no point in sending her onto someone else who - though they may love their rabbit - obviously doesnt perhaps meet their needs as well as they should be....bless you for taking her in...so sad they were dumped!:(:evil:

I havent been out there yet this morning, but i checked on her before bed last night and shed cleared her bowl of food and was sat on the top shelf shredding a grassy nest up :D Looks like shes chosen her pee corner, and its not where near any of the litter trays :roll: Looks like ill have to shuffle her things around. Shes not interested in the snuggle safes either, its a big playhouse for one bunny, i hope shes warm enough!

She starts her panacur later today and gets to come in for a massage and a play in the conservatory :) Ill get some pictures if i can.

I had a dream last night that they managed to cactch the other two rabbits. One was dead and the other was a frenchie that i took and called Stig! :shock::shock::shock: I hope they manage to get all the buns and piggies. One of the nurses has gone back this weekend to see if they can catch the rest of them. I just HOPE theres no Frenchie waiting for me on Friday, i couldnt take another one!

Aww, she's beautiful! :love: Well done for helping her. Whereabouts are you? Is any help needed to find the other buns on the tip? I hope they can all be found, poor buns :cry:

Have pmed you :wave:

Hopefully they get caught asap! It's freezing today and only going to get colder by the looks of it! Poor things :cry:

Were all the piggies caught?

Im afraid i wont know until tomorrow. One of the nurses were going back over this weekend to have a look with her daughter. I think she said she took about 15 piggies home, some of them were pregnant. I dont dont know a huge amount im afraid, i just took Maggie because i felt it was the only way i could guarentee she goes to a good home.

If any of the other rabbits have been caught though and havent not yet been taken, is there anyone who would be willing to take them on? I dont have the time, space or money to take anymore, unless someone was to come and collect them within a day or two.

ETA: Maggie has a facebook page. If you want to see how shes getting on adn keep up to date just "like" her page :)
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Maggie-Magpie/329225743775610

Last edited:
Im afraid i wont know until tomorrow. One of the nurses were going back over this weekend to have a look with her daughter. I think she said she took about 15 piggies home, some of them were pregnant. I dont dont know a huge amount im afraid, i just took Maggie because i felt it was the only way i could guarentee she goes to a good home.

If any of the other rabbits have been caught though and havent not yet been taken, is there anyone who would be willing to take them on? I dont have the time, space or money to take anymore, unless someone was to come and collect them within a day or two.

ETA: Maggie has a facebook page. If you want to see how shes getting on adn keep up to date just "like" her page :)
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Maggie-Magpie/329225743775610

i wish i could, but my parents don't want me doing hardly anything with animals. i'm so :evil:
:cry: about it i just love animals and everything

feel so bad for the little creatures stuck there, if i was closer i'd come and help look for them...:cry:
have any died?
how's maggie btw...

i wish i could, but my parents don't want me doing hardly anything with animals. i'm so :evil:
:cry: about it i just love animals and everything

feel so bad for the little creatures stuck there, if i was closer i'd come and help look for them...:cry:
have any died?
how's maggie btw...

I got your PM.
Listen, dont worry what your parents think, do what makes you happy. If you think you can make a career out of your love for animals go for it! Though i will say its hard to get a decent job in the field, and is probably only going to get harder!
My dad went on and on at me telling me that Veterinary nursing is a rubbish wage and that he wants better for me. I wasted 3 years on other courses i wasnt as interested in, was partly my own fault, but dad didnt help. Ive started Animal Management, ive got my placement in a vets (only took 6 months! :lol: theyre like gold dust around here) and though i dont seem to have a spare moment, ive never been happier with my life.

Back