• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fattening up a bunny

0XBunnyta

Warren Scout
My buns a little on the thin side so he has been given wormer. To fatten him up a bit i'm feeding extra pellets (= 1 1/2 - 2 egg cups) a tea spoon of oats because they are quite fatty, a couple sunflower seeds a day again quite fatty, lots of bramble leaves to help the stomach (I've heard it prevents/ helps diarrhea but its one of his fave foods if its just a rumor :lol:) I have increased his veggies mostly, more dried forage to prevent any runs again but also gets fresh food. Fresh twigs all day (he just loves the green under the bark and helps his teeth too which is a bonus) and lots and lots and lots of hay! I'll sneak out a dried banna slice every couple days too because he loves them (no added sugars or anything pure dried fruit only all of the sugars in dried fruit are condensed so he gets half what he normaly would with wet fruit. I feed dry so i can hide it in the hay to encourage him to eat more and it wont go all mushy :lol:)

Does this sound ok? There is a lot of sugary fatty things but i didnt just want to increase the pellets more as they are very filling and he wouldnt eat that important hay :roll:

Why is he underweight? Has he had a vet check?

Yeah dont worry, we think the main cause is worms preventing him from gaining all the nutrience out of his food coupled with it being winter and him being an older bun and my other bun eating lots of his food. They eat separate now. No teeth or liver problems or anything like that thank god :shock:

Back