• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bio lapis - update post 23

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Just back from the vet, and the good news is that Spenser's vet is now hapy that he has fully recovered. I was given 6 sachets of boi lapis to mix in his water (1 per day) but Spenser will not take it. I left the bowl for about 10 minutes before offering plain water as he usually takes a big drink after a vet trip and I didn't want him to get dehydrated. Slurp, slurp, sluro - he was certainly fussy.

Yet another thing to add to this list of Spenser's dislikes. :roll: The assured me it tasted nice to rabbits, but I must say it smells a bit gross. I suppose I shouldn't worry too much as it is more in the line of a supplement than a necessary medicine?

Last edited:
Give two bowls. One with it in, one without it, that way, he can still continue to be hydrated and have the option. You may find, a watched pot never boils if you get me :)

Give him time, he'll take it, im sure.

Oh dear, he definitely know what he likes and what he doesn't!

Bunnies are supposed to like fibreplex too but I can confirm that Bubbles hates the stuff - she wouldn't touch it, but Alfie wouldn't leave the syringe alone. :roll::roll:

Oh dear, he definitely know what he likes and what he doesn't!

Bunnies are supposed to like fibreplex too but I can confirm that Bubbles hates the stuff - she wouldn't touch it, but Alfie wouldn't leave the syringe alone. :roll::roll:

Same here with Mini and Mischa, I try to get it into Mini, I just get mugged by Mischa. My boy is such a junkie, he likes literally every medication under the sun with the exception of Baytril (who does like Baytril?!)

Same here with Mini and Mischa, I try to get it into Mini, I just get mugged by Mischa. My boy is such a junkie, he likes literally every medication under the sun with the exception of Baytril (who does like Baytril?!)

Ginger.... :roll:

Can you syringe spenser meds? When Kermit had to take the sachets i would make up a small amount of water with it in and syringe him it.

Can you syringe spenser meds? When Kermit had to take the sachets i would make up a small amount of water with it in and syringe him it.

I'm afraid Spenser can only be syringed when he is very poorly. He regards any sort of handling as a great affront to his bunny dignity. You should have seen his indignant face when the vet had him under the crook of his arm for his teeth to be looked at this morning.

Having said all this, I may try the syringe idea as it was sometimes possible to syringe Spenser by keeping him steady without actually lifting him.

I find holding a bunny like a baby and syringing into the side of their mouth.....(where that handy little gap is), works for me.

It could be the smell of it putting him off. If you could syringe just a little into his mouth he might realise it tastes nice and start drinking it himself. Or just dab some onto his mouth with your finger?

It could be the smell of it putting him off. If you could syringe just a little into his mouth he might realise it tastes nice and start drinking it himself. Or just dab some onto his mouth with your finger?

Godd idea! He will only submit to the syringe when very poorly, but the dabbing on finger is worth a try.

Back