• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny (maybe) in need of new home.. :(

The bonding of my 3 neutered males is going terribly.

It started - about about 6 months ago - quite well, with my (then) new mini lop Pixel clearly adoring my two netherlands. Sadly it's only gone downhill from there, the netherlands just wont except Pixel. I've been waiting for Pixel's hormones to die down (I don't think him humping and spraying is helping matters), but after re-introducing them today, Plusle (the netherland) pinned Pixel down with his teeth and wouldn't let go, Pixel was petrified!

Pixel is the most loving bunny in the world but - due to Plusle and Minun - hasn't had the best upbringing. Because of this he can be very territorial as he thinks anyone near his cage is going to attack him (like Plusle and Minun have done in the past). He is very healthy and an extremely funny character (loved so much by my whole family). I'll be so sad to let him go, but I couldn't keep him on his own when I know how much having a bunny-friend means to him...

What does everyone think?

So I started the bonding immediately, and as I said, this went ok. I couldn't keep them together however as the netherlands soon got impatient with Pixel (he followed them around lovingly).

So after a while (a month or something) it got really bad because not only was he following them, but humping and spraying them too.

I had him neutered at about 4 months and kept them separate. Unfortunately there were a few times were they escaped and got into contact with Pixel and really hurt him. No long-term physical damage but definitely mentally hurt him.

It's been about 10 weeks now since Pixel was neutered and so I thought it was time to reintroduce them (I can't bear keeping him alone).

At first this went ok, I introduced Plusle to Pixel in the garden (that neither of them 'own'), and they kind of ignored each other. No fighting. But today I had Pixel on my bed jumping around, and Plusle jumped up, so I thought 'it's ok, it went so well the other day' so I let him say hello to Pixel, but instead he jumped on him, bit him hard, and held on. Pixel's got a hurt eye and a broken nail now.

How can I ever leave them alone together when something like this could happen? Plusle has NEVER hurt Minun like this.

Thanks for helping

Edit: I should just note, I got Pixel as a young baby, he's about 6 months now. Plusle and Minun are about a year and a half old now. I got them from babies too, they were bought up together but from different breeders.

Last edited:
OK,

well bonding needs to be a very structured process and needs to be done with patience and a very small space.

The reason you are getting fights as they are is because they are bein introduced in a big space and are then separated. Fighting will happen and just needs to be managed until it has passed.

The process should be.

1) place them in carriers (separate) and take them on a car journey of no less than 30 mins. If this is not possible then sit on top of a washing machine during an extended spin cycle. Although this sounds cruel it will disorientate them and make them a bit less volatile during the initial meet.

2) Now you need a space no bigger than 3ft x 3ft which is totally neutral and you will also need, a sturdy broom, a water pistol or washing up liquid bottle full of water and a hoover.

3) introduce the buns and wait for the initial fight to kick off, DO NOT separate until they actual lock on. spray with water as much as you can and if needs be place the broom between them to separate but do not take any bun out of the area. Spraying with water is good as bun s don't like being wet and they will usually retreat to a corner and groom themselves. This will allow them time in each others company.

4) Keep a very close eye. Separate any lock on fights but humping, spraying and chasing is all part of the dominance process. Allow this to continue however hard it is to watch as this is key to them sorting out who is boss.

5) This will continue and you will possibly need to be with them constantly for up to 3/4 days.

6) Once things do start to calm down it is imperative that they stay in this space until they are all happy. Once they are then they can be relocated to where they will stay but again this needs to be carefully managed and not too much space. more space can be given but needs to be introduced very slowly, i.e. 1 ft every 3 days as each time new areas are introduced you risk more dominance issues and fights.

It is a slow period and can take up to 3 weeks but you need to be patient and not be too keen, however hard it is to watch, to separate the scuffles as this is nature taking it's coarse. A long weekend etc is probably needed as it will need your time but is always well worth it to see them all happy together

Where in London are you?

totally agree with what stufi has said.

If they got on well in neutral territory then it sounds promising, try giving it a go as stufi outlined and see how it goes, you'll probably need someone to take it in shifts with you as staying awake for 4 days solid obviously isn't very practical.

Back