• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Whistling as he breathes

xxdwl

New Kit
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums here and I was wondering if you could offer some advice.

I have a rabbit, his name is Bryce and he's roughly 11 years old (He was adopted from P@h adoption centre and they told me he was 8 when we got him in '08). He's chilling out right now, looking half asleep as usual but as it's a very rare moment of peace and quiet at home, I can hear him whistling as he's breathing.
Do rabbits do this kind of thing? My grandparents have always had dogs, my cousin has a cat and I've owned rats in the past and I've never heard any of them whistling. It's like when us humans have something in our nose and causes a whistling as we breathe.
As Bryce is the first rabbit I've ever cared for and he is getting on a bit, I'm probably panicking over nothing, but I wanted to know if this is ok? I don't want to take him to the vet if it's just something that just happens, he hates the vet! In every other way he's perfectly normal too. I tried to quietly get closer to him to hear it a bit louder, but he heard me and it stopped.
I've never heard it before, but like I said, this is a rare moment of peace and quiet, so he could have done it before and I've not heard him over the normal household din!

If he doesn't usually do it then yes I would get him checked by a vet. It's possible it's not a problem but it's not something most rabbits do.

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely give the vet a call tomorrow. It's hard to say if he's done it before or not, there's normally a bit of background noise in our home!

Back