• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

unneutered male and spayed female?

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
My niece wants one of my female rabbits as a companion for her male rabbit. My female rabbit has already been spayed so theres no problem there. She cant afford to neuter her male at the moment. Is this going to be a good idea or will he keep pestering her?

He will probably pester her which could cause them to fightand wont make for a happy bond. Excessive humping has been known to cause sore boy bits too

I agree with all of that. Plus, right now she has had an unsettled time and probably needs time to settle and stay happy. Remember, you have to think of her needs first.

I thought bonding her with her own husbun would make her happy. But if its too soon then I understand that. Is it okay that she is kept in an 8ft x 6ft space with no outside space at the moment? She is still next to Jake and Jasmine for company.

I thought bonding her with her own husbun would make her happy. But if its too soon then I understand that. Is it okay that she is kept in an 8ft x 6ft space with no outside space at the moment? She is still next to Jake and Jasmine for company.

It probably would :) But not one that is going to harass her senseless.

I'm relatively sure I've answered before but I don't see why it would be an issue (no different from being an inside rabbit), but she will need fresh air, so make sure you keep the door open as much as possible.

I think, in your situation, I would be looking at rebonding potentialy before rehoming, because the issue wasn't an issue created by the bunnies and potentially could be side stepped next time. It may not work, but I personally would give it one more serious go, or ask someone else to bond them for me.

I dont want to put her into a bad situation with another rabbit. I would love to rebond them at some time in the future. The week that I started, my OH was away working and the boys were on half term. So, I didnt have to worry about the rabbits making a mess and I could just stay in with them. My OH works from home most of the time and has clients in the house and isnt keen on me bringing the rabbits in :roll: I dont know anyone who could bond them for me. I've rung my local RSPCA and they only do it for their rabbits.

As long as they are okay in the space I've given them then thats okay. I feel abit more relaxed about waiting. The summerhouse is a block built one with double glazed windows that are open all the time (small windows at the top - nothing can get in) and I also leave the door open all day so plenty of fresh air. Jake and Jasmine had a lovely big run outside, so feel abit mean keeping them in the summerhouse.

I could try and bond them again at christmas when the boys are on holiday and OH wont have anyone in working - hopefully. Maybe I could try it in the utility. Jake and Jasmine have been in there but if I wash it down with vinegar it should be alright to use for another bonding?
I do still have the bike shed as a back up plan for Hazel and a new neutered husbun if a rebond dosnt work. Thanks for your patience sky-o. :wave:

You're welcome, but it's understandable you would be feeling anxious about her and what was best, so don't worry :) You're doing ok. she is ok, they are ok :) Just take a step back, if you can, and enjoy your bunnies :)

:lol: nothing else has happened though. They're still the same. Though I have put Hazels hutch in the summer house so she has got somewhere to snuggle up in as she hasnt got anybun to snuggle with except through the bars. I bought them a large plastic dog kennel last week for the summer house and put hay and straw in it for them to snuggle up in (its in Jake and Jassys half now) and they use it as a litter tray!!!! :roll: Expensive litter tray!!

:lol: typical.

Photos don't have to be of anything major though, if you go and look through the photo threads, normally it is just a moment the OP thought was nice/funny/etc and caught on camera. It's just sharing your beautiful bunnies with others (because memory tells me your bunnies are gorgeous).

Ah thank you they are beautiful. :love: I will have a look through tomorrow as I am off to bed now as I am sooooo tired. Had another idea for bonding at christmas. I might get a new piece of lino and put it in the sitting room with different fence panels on it. Then I can camp there with the bunnies for christmas on the sofa. :D At least this has given me a sensible date to work towards so I can think about it logically and stop worrying. Thank you so much. You have been so calm and helpful. :)

Back