• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had to take buns back after cylap jabs

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Further to my thread "clean bill of health" yesterday, when I checked on the buns this morning both had a limp. Thumper was worse - properly favouring nearside fore, totally off the ground mostly, whereas Coco was just limping a little. Phoned the vets in a panic, told to take them back in.

They're fine (phew!) and it is a known side-effect but my vet, Faye, said she'd never actually experienced the effect before and they do loads of cylap jabs at my vets. Anyway she's going to do a report to the manufacturer and offered to order in a different type next year for me if I didn't want cylap next time. I think I'll take her up on her offer as I was a bit concerned, but like some jabs in humans, our arms can ache afterwards.

Faye gave the poor bunnies yet another jab (anti-inflammatory and pain relief) and said that they should be fine over the course of today/tonight but any more concerns I'm to phone her again.

I have to say I was quite impressed with her as she gave them a thorough check over, paying particular attention to their nearside fores and got them to hop about a bit so she could see their limps. She herself was a bit concerned/embarrassed that they'd had a reaction, which was nice to see as it shows she's human!

Unfortunately, like so many others, you've experienced the cylap side effects.

Limp, lack of appetite, scab at wound side, lethargy etc.

Anivac / Lapinject are the other options for you incase you wanted to know the names.

Why is this still not listed as a possible side effect??? So many people have reported it yet vets still say that they have not heard of it before. I think Jacks Jane gathered some data together to send to the manufacturers a while back although I can remember the outcome.

Hope your buns feel better soon.

Thank you both, yes Graham I will make a note of the names for next year. Suzanne, the vet did say it was a known side-effect but that she herself hasn't seen a rabbit with a limp after the jab before. As I said though, she offered - rather than me asking - to use a different one next year and thank you for your sentiments :love:

last year i hadn't heard of this and afterward my vet asked if i'd had side effects like limping etc..

this morning i booked the girls in for their jabs and asked about the vaccine and was told they had switched to anivac.
very relieved.

hope your guys are better soon, it must have been very worrying. :(

last year i hadn't heard of this and afterward my vet asked if i'd had side effects like limping etc..

this morning i booked the girls in for their jabs and asked about the vaccine and was told they had switched to anivac.
very relieved.

hope your guys are better soon, it must have been very worrying. :(

I was quite worried in all honestly but mostly for my daughter as she is really really attached to the bunnies and Thumper is hers. My son was a bit concerned - wouldn't come to the vet - although Niamh did and the poor girl was almost beside herself. She's only 8 (was 8 on Monday 15 Aug in fact).

Both bunnies have been happily munching grass today and wolfed down some pellet food I put in as a treat. They're now having a snooze.

Then vets should be advising people so that they don't stress out and get worried. When it happened to Florence we rushed he back thinking the worst.

I know, *some* Vets dont bother to read the Data Sheet til you insist they do so :roll:

Back