• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weeing in a new corner

NinjaBunneh

Warren Scout
My buns have recently become 100% free range in my bedroom. When this happened they(or maybe only one of them) started to poop under the set of shelves in the room, Then I noticed little damp patches appearing under there too. I decided to block it off yesterday, to see if i can control it or stop it, but they've just started to use next to the blocked off area instead. The area is too small for another litter tray - about 6 inches wide.

They aren't doing this anywhere else and the main litter tray is still being used.

use thick folded newspaper in the 6inch gap. Then add crumpled paper on top. Hopefully this will deter them, but if it doesn't as least the newspaper will soak it up.

sue:wave:

i'll give tht a go - not sure if that will stop them or give them yet more things to destroy, as they also like to dig in that corner.

could you get them a digging box? digging is a natural play time for rabbits.

You could buy a large tub and fill it with lots of little balls of scrumpled paper- they will have fun digging it out.(though you will have to refill it as they can't pick up the balls in their paws of course.
unless they have access to outdoors? in which case make a small area of the garden their digging patch. they will have lots of fun digging it out and pushing it back in.:wave:
They like to shred things too- so some old newspaper to shred.
what about one of those treat balls that you can open and put little bits of carrot in and the bits only fall out when they move it around a lot?

Are they neutered yet?

sue:wave:

Oh no they have plenty of toys, digging spots and suchlike - just they have decided that this one inconvinient corner is going to be their new spot. Any other corner i could put another litter tray or block off, but this ones just awkward...

get a 6 inch litter tray, i.e. an old rectangular baking tray filled with cat litter - something like that.

Have now blocked off as much as i can, then in the space still accessible put one of their play tunnels with a chew toy down the end. Both less digging and although the still occasionally pee in their tunnel anyway its not so much of an issue.

hmmm so titus ran over and did a full on wee in the corner while I was rearranging the blocking and then did another one in the tunnel once i'd put it all back.

Not sure if she's been avoiding going while she couldn't get down there, as the main litter tray doesn't have as much in as normal...

I think basically, I have three options: 1) Her Majesty is Always Right and put a mini litter down there; 2) Re-Train her littering - she's used the litter perfectly since gotcha day; 3) Completely block off the area

Last edited:
So after one of them pee'd on my bed last night they are back in the cage and i'm going for slow expansion and retraining until they are settled and using the litter tray properly again.

Have there been any changes to your rabbits' surroundings?

I know when my rabbit goes to play with my friend's cats, he urinates outside his litter box. It's like he's competing with the cats by marking territory!

Complete change - we moved in here just over two months a go and they've only recently moved into my room after building work was finished...

I'm sure its all to do with too many changes all so fast - just they've coped well with change before so have been caught out by their reaction.

Back