• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lining playhouse

I'm so excited I just picked up the new playhouse for my buns...I just wondered if lining the inside with galvanised mesh would stop them chewing holes? Has anyone done this themselves or have any other ideas. They have done this to their hutch which I have patched up as I went along which is why I'm moving them into a playhouse. Just want to stop it before it starts, as every one knows a play house isn't cheap. Any piccies of bunny proofing would be much appreciated. :D

Before you move your buns in why not take the opportunity to put in a layer of insulation ready for winter, and then overboard the inside to cover the insulation and protect the house from bunny teeth?
If you have a nice smooth surface with no edges they can't chew.

I have found that Poppy doesnt chew the inside (yet! lol) she has so much to keep her busy all I ever have to do is a quick clean and tidy:love:

We lined our shed with polystyrene boards and then boarded over that with plywood. It insulates it for winter and it also keeps it cool in the summer. So far so good, no chewing has happened on the walls. They chew their little house that they have in there with them!:roll:

We also lined the floor with lino and my hubby tacked it under the ply on the walls so there are no ends for them to pull at!

Here I go bad-mouthing Peter again, but he chewed through his Ryedale hutch wall, so took no chances with my playhouse ( as you say, expensive item!) Insulated, covered floor , walls and ceiling in plywood, then covered walls half way up with weldmesh!!! Ashamed to say had to get carpenter to do it all, cost arm and leg but the pleasure I get from seeing him and Lola happy and SAFE is worth it!!

He laid the lino first on top of plywood layer on floor, then added the walls to hold it down in place. I managed to weldmesh the outside part of the playhouse where the exit hole into run is, as I thought he might sit there chewing around that too! It's worth taking a bit longer to get things right if you have a chewer on your hands!!! Good luck with your project.

Here I go bad-mouthing Peter again, but he chewed through his Ryedale hutch wall, so took no chances with my playhouse ( as you say, expensive item!) Insulated, covered floor , walls and ceiling in plywood, then covered walls half way up with weldmesh!!! Ashamed to say had to get carpenter to do it all, cost arm and leg but the pleasure I get from seeing him and Lola happy and SAFE is worth it!!

He laid the lino first on top of plywood layer on floor, then added the walls to hold it down in place. I managed to weldmesh the outside part of the playhouse where the exit hole into run is, as I thought he might sit there chewing around that too! It's worth taking a bit longer to get things right if you have a chewer on your hands!!! Good luck with your project.

Pete sounds like my rascals, they managed to start chewing a hole in completely flat sides of the hutch, I'm sure if left they would have gone all the way though. Your suggestions sound exactly what I need to do...thanks

We lined our shed with polystyrene boards and then boarded over that with plywood. It insulates it for winter and it also keeps it cool in the summer. So far so good, no chewing has happened on the walls. They chew their little house that they have in there with them!:roll:

We also lined the floor with lino and my hubby tacked it under the ply on the walls so there are no ends for them to pull at!

Liking the polystyrene boards...were they expensive? Where did you get them?

Back