• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, i think Jasper may have just eaten a poisonous leaf!

I had Jasper in the garden and I looked away for literally one second to pick somthing up, turned around and he was next to this plant we have in the garden chewing! I think he ate a small leaf. :( It will probably be poisonous because it isn't a common looking plant. :?

I'm terrified something will happen to him and I don't know what to do. :cry: He seems fine and he's currently eating hay but I'm just so worried. It was only a tiny leaf but it could have a big effect. :(

aw it is a big worry isnt it i panic all the time in the garden watching there every move :lol:, do you know what plant it was? Try not to panic, maybe give your vets a ring with details of the plant and see if they can give you a piece of mind :), but if it was only small i would try not to panic, hay only diet and lots of fluids today :) maybe take some pictures see if anyone can identify it on here :)

Try not to worry! Jims has eaten so many things that he shouldnt!
As someone else said maybe try and get a picture up to see if it can be identified?

Just make sure he stays very well hydrated and eats lots of hay to push it through and just be extra vigilent for 48hrs.

can you get a photo of the plant? if it was only a small leaf it will probrably show no effeects on him anyway, mowgli raided all my tomato plants seedlings on bedroom windowcill on 2 occasions and he never showed any effects from it

I was told by my vets the best course of action as bunnies cannot vomit is to dilute the toxin asap with whatever you know they will eat wet - so ideally some wet herbs, bit of cucumber, celery - dilution is the best immediate thing to do if your rabbit ever ingests anything it shouldn't have unless it's something that can obstruct the gut.

Back