• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Won't eat after dental-help please

bunniesgalore

Alpha Buck
Milly is a feisty medium lop who had a dental yesterday (Tuesday). She'd not eaten on Monday-the first sign anything was wrong and syringing wasn't very sucessful as she clenches her teeth and refuses to swallow. Metacam didn't seem to help either.
I thought she'd be Ok with the dental as she was speyed in October and came round extremely quickly to the vets/nurses surprise. In the dental several fairly large spurs were removed and her tongue had been cut-her teeth were burred and it seems this will be a regular thing alas.
Milly was syringed food by the nurses before she came home but apparently promply spat the food out and at home was very sad and clearly not feeling good all evening.I gave her a dose of Ranitidine and tried to syringe before bed with little success I fear.
Today, she's brighter-jumped onto the bed and slept there as usual last night but she will NOT eat anything. She's toiletting, though poos aren't huge in number, and lively but presented with the herbs she usually adores she turns her head away and runs off if I persist. It's a no to grated apple etc and she won't eat banana so that's not an option. She won't eat mashed science selective nor the Oxbow rescue food voluntarily.
She's had another dose of Ranitidine this morning and can have a dose of Metacam soon but I'm worried about her refusal to eat.
We've had Milly since November and the relationship/bond with me is getting better but she is very feisty (typical lady bunny) and with poor sight and hearing she can be nervy and fights (hard) when picked up-my hands and arms are covered in deep cuts-she really hurts. It's just me (in human terms!) here.
I spoke to the vet this morning and she said I could take her back to the vets but for now at least they'd be trying to syringe feed as I am and the extra stress is something I'm keen to avoid.
I will do whatever I need to do-I'm pretty experienced at this, but have never had a bunny who is so hard to syringe meds/food.
Currently Milly seems happy enough and has the energy to jump on/off beds and fight me but I'm so worried about her tummy packing in.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received-I feel so useless and as though I'm failing her. I'm hoping she'll feel better as she calms down now she's home and will try to eat as hunger takes over but I'm worried her tummy won't last until she eats herself.
Thank you.

I am afraid if she is not self eating she will need to be syringe fed, no choice about it as she needs to have food going in to keep her gut moving.
She may need a higher dose of metacam as she may still be in discomfort and a bunny in discomfort will not eat.
It may be worth calling the vets and asking if you can increase her dose?
Also I would say even though it is not ideal that if you feel having to pin her down and syringe feed her at home is causing you both too much stress maybe she sould be hospitalised for at least a few hours so they can get all her meds in to her and syringe feed her to try and kick start things?
She should also be having Metaclopramide which is another gut stimulant.

I would definitely consider her going back into the vets, even if only temporarily. If her gut is not moving properly then her pain relief and zantac won't necessarily get absorbed well and be fully effective. Injectable medication until she is a bit stronger is the best option and gives the option of stronger apin relief too. If she is very stressy then she could go in for syringe feeding, fluid and injections and go home when they're done so she isn't staying away from home.
Marie

Thank you for your comments. I read alot of previous comments about syringing and noted that often it gets easier and so it seems to be. Milly had her metacam and some food alot easier at lunchtime so fingers crossed. She's so much calmer as she realises that horrible as syringing is she gets through it. We'll see how we get on-she just needs to try some food and we'll be there. I've done this before na dit's never been harder but that's the joy and problem with bunnies-they're all different. What remains the same is the need to trust-the issue here has been her hatred of being picked up and held but earlier she sat apparently happily as I stroked her a bit. This is all new to her but she'll be Ok-we'll get through this-somehow!

Back