• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Big tummy

Bunny-mum

Young Bun
My little polly seems to have a huge tummy! She is kept with anxious another rabbit lol! And the last few days her tummy seems really big it is soft not rock hard or anything and she is still eating drinking weeing Poohing jumping running coming for snuggled ect ect....

So what do I need to do! Surely she can't of just got fat in a couple of days could she????? X

I re homed them from the pets at home adoption bit and was told they are both females! But to be honest I haven't checked and wouldn't even know how to if they was both female but I haven't seen any humping lol or anything!

I re homed them from the pets at home adoption bit and was told they are both females! But to be honest I haven't checked and wouldn't even know how to if they was both female but I haven't seen any humping lol or anything!

Oh dear
Lift the other bunny up and have a look underneath to see if you can see any testicles, my best guess is that they were mis-sexed and she is pregnant.

my advice would be to separate them just in case and take them both to the vets to be sexed and check for pregnancy xxx

Ok thanks for advice if I look at them will they both look different lol? Sorry this sounds so silly so if I get them both out and look at their bits will they look different?? X

Ok thanks for advice if I look at them will they both look different lol? Sorry this sounds so silly so if I get them both out and look at their bits will they look different?? X

It doesn't sound silly at all :)

I think they would, but it depends on how old they are. even vets make mistakes sometimes. but if you can see 2 testicles (you won't mistake them if they are there) then the other is defo a boy.

they might not have dropped yet though so you might not see them.

sorry that's no help :oops:

How old would it they need to be? As I was told they are 9 weeks old a couple of weeks ago so would be about 10 11 weeks now if they told me the right age! X

Ah, if they are only 11 or 12 weeks old it is unlikely that the large tum is a pregnancy.

Perhaps your bunny is bloated, gassy?

What have you been feeding them? Are they indoor/outdoor buns?

I would certainly get the sexes checked by a rabbit savvy vet as soon as possible as it is very easy to make mistakes at a young age and with over 30.000 rabbits in rescue it is unwise to add to the population!

They are fed on mostly hay ( Timothy and meadow) pets at home nuggets and fresh greens! I can take them on tue to vets but will double check in a min to see if there is balls lol

Lots of hay is excellent :)

I doubt you will see any balls, they are not that easy to find for the untrained eye, I missed Fizz's! They usually appear from about 12 weeks if they are going to I understand. But you may well have 2 girlies as you think.

One of my buns is much rounder than the other around the middle although they weigh almost the same (they are brother and sister, going on 3 years old).

If your rabbit is well in all other ways as you say, lively, eating, drinking, pooing as normal (watch the size, quantity, shape and colour) then I would just watch carefully for any signs of change for now.

I just checked and there bits both look exactly the same! They are both as happy as the day I got them but will get them sexes at the vets next week just incase!

Ok now me and the oh have looked at the pics we aren't sure! We are going to pop them into Pets at home tomorrow to get them to double check then vets on tuesday!

I really hope they are both girls though I don't want babies :-(

Not easy eh!

I wouldn't bother with P@H though, it's unlikely you would get a reliable answer from them. I'd stick with the vets myself.

How come they were in the adoption section at such a young age, do you know?

No idea really they didn't give any reason! That's what makes me wonder if they are as young as I think they are as they aren't tiny!!

I've heard lots of stories about people getting pets from P@H which were already pregnant! But hopefully not in your case.

My 2 are sisters and Bailey is just a bigger rabbit - her tummy is really round but the vet says she's fine - just a big heavier than her sister x

Their size at 11 or 12 weeks will depend on their breed. I'm sure it is quite possible that they have the age right. Unfortunatly, at P@H if you are an animal who doesn't sell at the very young, cute stage and a new batch of animals are coming in you tend to get relegated to the "adoption centre" to make way for the newbies.

The consolation in this case is that they have landed with an excellent, caring bunny mummy who has found RU!

Just to add it is not usually possible to see from the outside if a bunny is pregnant, they don't get a "bump" or appear round really - a good vet can feel if a rabbit is pregnant though.

Last edited:
One is a lop polly who has the big tummy and the other is a lionhead I have posted pics in pic bit they was meant to be going in for their jabs on Wednesday but I had to pick my daugher up from school poorly and can only get in on tue!

Back