• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not himself...

Pipkin01

Warren Scout
Really worried about my bunny. Rung the vets this morning and taking him down for 12. He is breathing abnormally quickly and seems uncomfortable, lying flat out but changing positions a lot. He has passied urine and faeces overnight but didn't want his breakfast this morning. I have seen him drinking and he ate all his veggies last night.

He's lying flat out in the living room at the moment, he's just not himself.

I am so worried, two hours until I can get him in at the vets. I work at the vets but the receptionist said I couldn't come any sooner as they're fully booked. Should I wait or do I need to take him down now?

Really worried about my bunny. Rung the vets this morning and taking him down for 12. He is breathing abnormally quickly and seems uncomfortable, lying flat out but changing positions a lot. He has passied urine and faeces overnight but didn't want his breakfast this morning. I have seen him drinking and he ate all his veggies last night.

He's lying flat out in the living room at the moment, he's just not himself.

I am so worried, two hours until I can get him in at the vets. I work at the vets but the receptionist said I couldn't come any sooner as they're fully booked. Should I wait or do I need to take him down now?

I personally would take him down now. My vets will always see a case like this immediately as an emergency - they should prioritise him if they can when you arrive, but you would need their agreement for this - sitting in a waiting room will stress him out more.

Your description sounds to me like he has abdominal discomfort from gas/bloat and is in GI stasis or heading into it, from what cause - it could be anything at this stage. Good luck x

If it were me I would insist that they see him straight away.
Like Prettylupin said it sounds like a GI slowdown and needs immediete treatment.
Good luck!

Vet has examined him, feels like he has a lot of gas in his stomach. She asked if he could of eaten anything he shouldn't. He's free roaming in the house when we're at home but always careful to keep things out his way so I don't think he has. She's given him some Metacam and Metoclopramide and he seems better now he's had some pain relief. Got some critical care but he's not the best patient so not sure how syringe feeding is going to work out!

Fingers crossed the Metoclopramide works to relieve the bloating, if not he'll have to go back for x-rays....

Vet suggested Pineapple juice, anyone had any experience with using that?

He's in his cage at the moment as want to keep him quiet, he's drinking fine and had a few Excel pellets which is a start.

Not long after getting home he was running round the living room and eating like normal :D making lots of gassy noise so looks like the metoclopramide worked! Put some critical care in a little dish for him and he's had a little bit, didn't want to be syringe fed and I didn't want to force him as he's been through enough today.

Bought some Tropicana pineapple juice and he's got a small amount in his water bowl which he loves! Keeping a very close eye on him but hoping he's ok and wont have to go back to the vets.

Back