• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Dental Recovery time??

gm_thomson

New Kit
My rabbit had light sedation and filing of her molar spurs for the first time on Thursday morning.. i was just wondering how long it will take her to recover? She is getting metacam for the pain and is eating some vegetables (not touching hay or pellets yet) but when she does eat she is grinding her teeth loudly in pain. Any idea how long it will take till she is feeling better? I am kinda surprised its hurting at all - its not like she had a tooth removed and its been 2 days now since the filing so i am worried she is worse than before the surgery...

If she is only eating vegetables, I would still syringe feed her some critical care to make sure she is getting fibre.

Is she managing to poop?

When I had my dental bunny he used to take upto one week to fully recover. Her mouth is probably still sore and this is why she doesn't want to eat. My rabbit used to get lots if ulcers from his spurrs so I used to use a cotton bud with a small amount of Dettinox (baby teething gel. DO NOT use anything stronger than baby gel) and gently poke that in his mouth.

Good luck.

She is pooping which is good. What i dont understand is why she is grinding her teeth and seems to be in pain worse now than before the op? Is that normal? Is filing the molars painful?

My girl had a dental on Thursday morning. I picked her up yesterday at noon and it's only in the past 3 hours that she is starting to eat ok and poop normal (although small) poops. She is still having her meds for pain as there is some tooth grinding still.

I've been pretty lucky. This is Cheeky's 2nd and she's 3 years old. Last one was 18 months ago. I was a very ignorant bunny mum before I joined this forum. Thankfully the extra hay nommage has helped a lot although i still hate her having to go through it. And thanks :D Unfortunately they're seperated at the mo due to the dental so looks like I will be rebonding again for the next week :(

What did the most recent surgery involve? Molar or incisor trimming? Did she have any teeth out? Pikachu was in and out of the vets same day..

The last dental which was minor took Homer a day to recover from. The one prior was a major one which took him about 5 days, especially since one of his teeth came out during the procedure.

Oxbow Critical care is easy to administer and Homer was licking it off the spoon so I did not have to syringe. He was basically hungry but just couldn't eat for a few days.

Back