• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nose abscess.

helennnnnn

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone had any experience with something similar??

Back story: Got bun for Christmas. Had his Myxi vac beg of Jan. Prior to vac he had been sneezing a bit, but vet thought it would be ok to go ahead. Shortly after having the vac, he got worse, sneezing a lot, snotty nose, etc. I posted back then as the vet thought it was pastuerella, although clear chest etc. Several courses of antibiotics (Baytril, then Septrin) helped, but as soon as abx were stopped, the problem came back.

Later I posted about other vets in my area. My vet suggested going to see John Chitty, as did many posters on here. So that is what I have done.

The "snot" as it turns out, is pus from an abscess in his nose. He's been flushing his nose out every week/2 weeks to get rid, and it seems to be helping. His nose is looking so much better, not crusty and dried up like it was, and he's not on abx for it any more since the nose-flushing started!

(As well as this, he's developed a bit of an ear infection a week or so ago, which he's back on Septrin for...)

Anyway, last week when John saw him, he did the usual flushing and when I went to collect bun, he said hopefully that'd be the last time... but then the weekend just gone he has had pus coming out of his nose again while sneezing! So he's going back next Monday for another flushing through...

Will this never end :( it's almost time for him to have his Myxi jab again (in about a month's time), he still hasn't had his VHD at all, and still hasn't been neutered. I really want to get him outside to have a run around etc but I just don't want to risk it while he's not vaccinated.

I just want him to be better :(

Last edited:
is it definatley an abscess?

when i got Lula i thought she had a bad cold, her nose looked sore and red and she was sneezingshe was treated for a cold but got worse and her nose started looking scabby.

after a few weeks i reasearched it and eventually asked my vet if it could be syphilis.. and it was. :shock:
might be worth asking next time you go. they can get it from the mother and it can lie dormant for ages. luckily penicillin injections should clear it and once gone it will not return.

hope he is better soon. :)

Well he has carried out x-rays, and an endoscopy on each visit. He even burnt me a CD with pictures of the inside of his nose!

How would I/he know if it were due to syphilis? (Internet is down at the mo so is hard to investigate on my phone!)

Well he has carried out x-rays, and an endoscopy on each visit. He even burnt me a CD with pictures of the inside of his nose!

How would I/he know if it were due to syphilis? (Internet is down at the mo so is hard to investigate on my phone!)

He would swab it and do a culture and sensitivity test to work out what it was and how best to treat it.

He would swab it and do a culture and sensitivity test to work out what it was and how best to treat it.

That's not really what I meant. I mean, how does syphilis present itself in rabbits? What are the symptoms, and could an abscess-like infection be one of them.

Syphilis is usually scabs around the noses and/or gentiles. A leaking abscess inside the nose doesn't sound much like it, also with discharge like that and having had it so long I'd have thought you'd have seen more scabbyness where he's wiped it about when grooming.

Has your vet discussed using an antibiotic such as Zithromax? I've used it for a nasal abscess and ear infections before. I can't recommend it highly enough for this sort of infection.

Sorry, I just thought you meant how would you know for sure, which is why you would have the test.

Maybe have a read of these

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Syphilis.htm

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Treponema_Inf_Rabbits.htm

Does that help more?

Thanks :) I probably didn't word my post very well! I have had a read of them. The pics are a bit scary :shock:

Syphilis is usually scabs around the noses and/or gentiles. A leaking abscess inside the nose doesn't sound much like it, also with discharge like that and having had it so long I'd have thought you'd have seen more scabbyness where he's wiped it about when grooming.

Yes from reading the articles that Sky-O pointed out, it doesn't seem to match up. He has no external symptoms at all that can be seen. It's literally just sneezing and occasionally a bit of the pus comes out with his sneeze.

Has your vet discussed using an antibiotic such as Zithromax? I've used it for a nasal abscess and ear infections before. I can't recommend it highly enough for this sort of infection.

Thank you, we're currently not using any antibiotics for it as the vet wanted to see how it went without. It may be that he suggests antibiotics on Monday when I go to see him to try and clear it up a bit faster! I will mention this one to him when I drop bunny off on Monday morning and see what he thinks.

Leaving work shortly to pick bunny up again, his 4th trip to have the abscess looked at!

I asked him to trim his nails for me as well while he's under anaesthetic... he was having NONE of it last week when I tried, so at least if he's asleep he won't be fighting back! Will just wake up with a nice pedicure!

Bunny is still sneezing and pus is still coming out of his nose, even though we thought it was getting better :( Just text the vet and told him as he asked me to keep him updated. He phoned back and spoke about surgically removing the abscess. Taking him in on Monday :(

I think little Barnaby has a similar problem

I have Barnaby who has been diagnosed with sniffles (pasteurella) he has a constantly runny nose which gets blocked and causes him to sneeze
Nothing has made this to much better batyrl often helps but up until a few weeks ago it was nothing more than this, but then pus started coming out his tear duct and his whole face has gotten crusty
Another trip to the vet she thinks it's an abscess under the bone so he's had to have a hole cut in his face and the whole area flushed
It still hasn't got any better and now his mouth is crusty she mentioned rabbit syphilis as well but we have been referred to Frances Harcourt Brown
Barnaby has had no injections so far as its not recommended when a rabbits immune system is so depleted as it can make things worse so maybe hold out on them?

And if anyone has any more info on abscess on bunnies nasal bones I'd really appreciate it :)

Good luck with you bunny! !

I have Barnaby who has been diagnosed with sniffles (pasteurella) he has a constantly runny nose which gets blocked and causes him to sneeze
Nothing has made this to much better batyrl often helps but up until a few weeks ago it was nothing more than this, but then pus started coming out his tear duct and his whole face has gotten crusty
Another trip to the vet she thinks it's an abscess under the bone so he's had to have a hole cut in his face and the whole area flushed
It still hasn't got any better and now his mouth is crusty she mentioned rabbit syphilis as well but we have been referred to Frances Harcourt Brown
Barnaby has had no injections so far as its not recommended when a rabbits immune system is so depleted as it can make things worse so maybe hold out on them?

And if anyone has any more info on abscess on bunnies nasal bones I'd really appreciate it :)

Good luck with you bunny! !

It may be better to start a new thread for your Bunny so I have asked a Moderator to do that for you :)

It sounds as though your Bunny may actually have elongated tooth roots which have penetrated the nasal passages. Infection has then set in causing all the symptoms, including the gunky eyes.

Your Bunny will be in the best care with Frances Harcourt-Brown

Good luck xx

Hopscotch had surgery on his abscess at the beginning of the year to have it removed, so he had a big hole in his face too! It all went well and he seemed much better after it had all healed (which took a while and a lot of stress!).

Sadly he has had a bit more pus in the last couple of weeks, whether it's the abscess coming back, or it's just left over gunk, we don't know yet.

Hopscotch has kept up to date with his myxi jabs throughout as my vet felt it was important, but he's never had his VHD because it's been ongoing since I first got him and my vet didn't want to give it.

Good luck with FHB - when's your appointment?

Back