• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scrumpy Towers (new C&C / NIC / Mesh Cube Cage)

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Inspired by all of you with indoor setups; I've been waiting for my local B&Q to get some mesh cubes in for ages. Imagine my surprise when on an off chance I checked the website and found they had some! Hurriedly reserved 3 packs.

Sent my dad to get them on a Wednesday (10% off for over 60s) and have been building for the past two weeks. Thought I'd share and will happily answer Qs from anyone considering the same.

This is an enclosed, multi level cage. Scrumpy is a 1.2kg Nethie Dwarf solo rabbit (he may become a husbun in the future). He has full range of our spare room in the day and free range access to the lounge when we are home. This is his overnight accommodation:

ScrumpyTowers1.jpg

Scrumpy Towers.

LoungeBasement.jpg

This is the darker area for some privacy. It is stood upon a £15 Ikea rug. The 4-legged platform was sourced from The Range. Everything else is older stuff.

LoungeObservatory.jpg

These are the middle and top shelves; he likes to sit and observe us so I made the top shelf double height so he can stretch (it's taller than him). Initially I was going to make all of the shelves one panel high but we gave him a trial on one shelf and I realised that on his back legs he didn't have full stretching ability, so we rebuilt the top to double height.

There are three doors - from the bottom right diagonally upwards on each level so he can get out and we can get him out at every level too. In hindsight I'd have made wider doors but the beauty of these panels is that a few snips of the cable ties and I can rejig the setup as I wish.

He was very reluctant to jump down to the basement at first but then once he'd discovered his wooden platform was chewable, we couldn't stop him!

Details on the cage:
It is made up of 68 B&Q mesh cube panels.
Dimensions: 145cm H x 145cm W x 75cm D
I used over 300 cable ties (made a few mistakes along the way!)
Popped to a local independent builders merchants and bought 2x hardboard panels cut to my exact size for £7 for the shelves. Used B&Q edging strips at 70p each (6 of) to thread through the shelves for support.
Bought new fleeces (Ikea, £1.01!), foldback clips (Staples, £4), platform for bottom level (The Range, £4).
Total cost approx £85-90.

Thanks all - it was a labour of love! I have ripped my forefingers to shreds with the numbers of cable ties used :censored:. If anyone undertakes a similar project I recomment gloves or something over your fingers as you tighten them!

Scrumpy's only been resident for 24 hours and seems very happy in it which was the main aim; if he's happy, we're happy!

I forgot to mention that the shelves have two offcuts of carpet stuck to them, with fleece over the top; whilst he's not susceptible to sore hocks I didn't want to risk hard platforms. They're mixed types of carpet too - he's a bloomin' awkward bun in that he will dig and chew long pile carpet but ignores the short pile (one of the shelves has long pile carpet on it as it was the only offcuts I had in the garage!)

To Heather&Bart (who said he was gorgeous): he noseboinks you for that!! :love: The vet once told him that he was too pretty to be a boy; to which he sat and preened himself! As only Scrumpy could ;-)

That's brilliant! Well done you :love:

PS It should definitely have a little plaque on it that says "Scrumpy Towers", I love the name! :lol:

Cluttery: it's on its way :p (it's one of the finishing touches still to add)

shakira: it's really easy - the hardest part for me was getting hold of the cubes but once I'd got them it was very straightforward. If you want any help at all if you can find some mesh grids I'm happy to advise :)

Oh excellent :lol: I'm glad it's not just me that thinks things like that are essential :lol:

Would love to see a pic of that too when it's up :)

Back