• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White discharge from eye ....

myrabbitbenji

Young Bun
I only noticed it this evening when I went to put Benji away for the night. Am fairly certain he didn't have it this morning

I missed the surgery opening hours by 20 minutes and not sure if this would count as an emergency

He seems to be active in himself and eating normally etc

There is some matting of the fur towards the other eye too but the discharge is only from one eye

Any advice would be gratefully received but obviously I will be urgently ringing my vets at 8 a.m. to get the first appointment unless I should be using the emergency system

Thank you

Just been out and checked him again - I had earlier wiped his discharge away with cotton wool dampened (not sure if that's the right thing) and it hasn't come back yet

However, he was trying to mate when I went out just - just read that excess male hormone can cause discharge? Not sure if this is correct or not

If anyone else could offer any advice that would be great as I'm really worried as he is almost 8 years old

ETA; have just realised next door have a female rabbit that has been out in it's run quite close to Benji. Not sure how relevant this is but just thinking

sorry, I had this with my male rabbit and that was the first thing I had to check for, as well as his nose and front paws

Your already taking him in first thing, but if your worried just call the emergency line and they can always advise/reassure you, I know how worrying it can be.

Hope all is okay with him. :)

Hopefully he just got a bit of hay or something in his eye. A vet check is always good to catch anything early and he might just need some eye drops for a few days to tackle any infection. If there's swelling it's a bit more serious. It might still be an infection but it could also be myxi. Also it could be a sign of dental problems but I hope not.

Ok thanks for your reply

This morning there is no sign of any white discharge from his eye

I'm waiting until I can ring my vets at 8 a.m. and then hopefully can take him straight down

However, I am just wondering whether it is the excess of male hormone thing especially since he was opposite Twinkle yesterday (next door neighbours rabbit) - sounds silly but it sort of adds up

Other than that I did give him some timonthy hay from a new pack yesterday - whether that may have irritated his eye like you say ...

He has had dental problems in the past - but usually he goes off his food and I would say he is eating fairly normally at the moment. His last dental was in September and there was nothing major going on but I guess it could be a strong possibility

Eeek really hope it isn't Myxi :(

Is he vaccinated?

Is he neutered?

Both those things will greatly reduce your worries.

It probably is just a bit of hay. It could be an indication of conjunctivitis. Mischa had conjunctivitis and he had wetness under his eye and the inside of his eye was also red. Something the vet found, not me. I hadn't thought to check inside. Probably something best left to the vet to check anyway, you don't want to cause more problems.

He isn't :( - I do feel like a bad owner

It was due to my ignorance that he wasn't neutered when I got him and unfortunately now he is 8 I don't want the risk of putting him through a G.A.

With the vaccinations I do realise how important they are too - he should have been done - but again due to his age I don't want to start changing things now with him - probably isn't very logical though but I sort of know what I mean

Just been and re-checked him - again no discharge from the eye is apparent now

And it does sound silly but with Spring in the air he seems very "active" so I am hoping it is something like that

He is going to the vets at 5.30 now - not very happy about waiting but the rabbit savvy lady vet there isn't working until the evening clinic and because his discharge has gone I'm more inclined to wait until 5.30 rather than being since by any of the other vets - hope I'm doing the right thing

Ah I see, I didn't realise that. I think a lot of people don't realise when they first get rabbits how important it is so don't feel bad :) It's great he's made it to 8! I agree, you're probably better off waiting and seeing a vet who knows what they're talking about :)

Benji is back from the vets - she couldn't find anything wrong with him
He has been vaccinnated against Myxi now

I did put forward my theory about Twinkle next door but she said there wouldn't be any connection between the too

Glad he's ok anyway and he had a thorough examination whilst he was there too

If he has any further eye problems then I can pop over to get some antibiotics, she wouldn't necessarily have to see him too :)

Back