• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter

EllsBells

Young Bun
Hello all,

I am new here and new to Rabbits so could do with a little help.

We have a newly aquired house rabbit called Cinammon. He is a black otter dwarf rex and very cute (and cheeky!) He is about 12 weeks old I guess currently.

We let him out morning and evening which has been fine, except where he hops in and out he spreads wood shavings everywhere! I've tried asking him to wipe his paws before he comes out, but the excitement of coming out for a play overtakes such mundane matters :roll: :lol:

My husband was not the keenest on the whole pet bunny idea, and is very unkeen on the shavings all over the house idea, so I was wondering if there was any other less messy bedding that we could use? Cinammon has hay in his house, and shavings in his litter tray currently.

Thanks in advance,

Ellie (and Cinammon!)

First of all I'd discourage away from shavings, they have been known to cause or exaccerbate respiratory problems in rabbits.

Secondly, I'd go for carefresh (big pieces) or megazorb (much cheaper, but smaller pieces). Both of those seem to not throw as much mess around as shavings etc! Megazorb especially...although it's smaller pieces it doesn't stick to the fur like shavings do!

Thirdly it's not at all necessary that he has any substrate bedding in his cage. You could also just cover it with towels/rugs, or even leave it completely bare plastic - he won't mind! Vet bedding is good, you can cut a bit to the entire size of the cage (it's very cheap off eBay, or most pet shops do it too) and it's machine/hose washable if you need to rotate it. Only trouble is, some buns do nibble it, so watch for that!

P.s you can get vet bedding in a whole load of different colours - colour coordination is always good!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome

Congratulations on your first bunny :)

I assume he is a house bunny? Personally i would get rid of the shavings althogher. I had the exact same problem and the wood shavings were driving me mad, i was finding them everywhere! I just use news paper on the bottom of the cage and wood pellet litter in his litter tray. If he tries eating the news paper it might be better to get something like vet bed for the bottom instead

Hope that helps

Hi and welcome :wave:

I use hay, much easier to clean. Used to use wood shavings, stopped as they are not meant to be good for buns, due to the dust.

Wow!! Thanks everyone for the quick responses and welcome! Off to check vet bed out on ebay now - just been on there looking for an outdoor pen. We put his cage out there atm, but I want to let him feel the grass between his toes too :)

Shelley, yes he is a house bunny, in cage during day, out morning and evening.

Hubby is going to be very pleased re the lack of shavings! :)

Newspaper and hay is best- i love ecobed though- it's great! Vet bed i'm not as keen on except for my puppy, for buns- it is annoying when it gets covered in hay.

I use newspaper and hay, used to use woodshavings, but then found out about the problems it can cause so decided to change, also it went everywere! :D

hi i use lino in my rabbits cage and its brill i just use a small handheld hoover to pick bits ov poo and hay up and then wipe it down x

Back