• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

eric again :(

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
lying down, not interested in food etc.

no probs to catch him for a dose of metacam and he actually sat on my lap for ages - odd in itself:(

just waiting for metacam to kick in and see how he goes.....

oh, and guess what? i was out for 7 hours yesterday trying to make some money at a vintage and craft fair...........why does he punish me like this:cry:

Aw, come on Eric, that's not fair. :no:How is mummy supposed to provide your treats if she can't go out to work?

Spenser is not eating well at all, but he is full of beans (inbetween fur-puddles in various favourite places). And he has eaten a little.

Aw, Eric :(

It does sound like he has separation anxiety if he's like this every time you go our for more than a few hours.

Perhaps the vet could recommend something you could give him to relax him beforehand if you are going to be out for longer than usual? Just a thought....

how long does it take for metacam to kick in?
he's gone to flop under the futon.

i've been to my mum's for lunch today too but eric wasn't on his own.

will ask my vet about the separation anxiety. again. she suggested a radio before. hasn't worked:(

o no! poor eric, hopfully a tempting treat may take his fancy when the metacam kicks in ;) like others have said it may be separtion aniexty, my poppy gets it if im out for long, she goes all quiet and worried, she has avripro before going to the vets for the day too xx

P.S usally takes a hour for it to work on casper xx

could you tell me what avripro does for her please?

my vet reccomened it for poppy, it really helps her when going to the vets for the day, she is more willing to eat when she come back xx

this it what it does:

Avipro Plus is particularly valuable when animals are undergoing stress or veterinary treatment and is useful as an appetite stimulant in reptiles. It can be used for oral rehydration.

The live encapsulated bacteria colonise the animals gut for a short time and help in encouraging the right conditions to allow the animals natural gut flora to re-establish itself.

Avipro is a probiotic combination of bacteria, enzymes, electrolytes and vitamins.

Its high palatability means it can be added to the drinking water making its use simple for all species of reptiles. It is also ideal for use by stomach tube in rehydrating reptiles which have become dehydrated.

For support of stressed reptiles use 4g (one scoop) per 100ml of drinking water.

its from http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-suppleme...probiotic-products-c-5_172/avipro-plus-p-1225

Last edited:
Noooo not again Eric :shock::cry:
Apparantly you can get rescue remedy for animals, I wonder if that might help keep him calm when you go out for a long time? :?
Poor boy and poor you :(
Sending tons and tons of vibes xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

still unresponsive. refusing all food. had a hop about out of annoyance as i've flattened his futon. 4 or 5 poops and a little wee.

now he's flopped again.

ideas pls?

Could it be gas? How does his tum feel? Mimi had a similar thing a couple of months back. I massaged her tum gently for an hour or so and syringed her some cooled boiled water and she was fine.
Poops are a good sign, even just a few :)
Cmon Eric, eat for mummy xxxx

Could it be gas?

I'm just wondering along these lines.

If his eating patterns change while you're out through stressing, maybe there is a knock on effect and he is feelings unwell from the after effects of this, leading to a bit of gas/slow gut etc. Is there any evidence that he eats less/doesn't when you have been out? (Sorry if you've said previously and I've missed it).

yes - he's really weird when i'm out so i try to time my day around his sleep patterns as i've got wise to this...

he had his breakfast fine yesterday and his tea (i was in both times). breakfast has been fine today too.

his tum feels fine. i just don't get it.

we were due at the vets on tues anyway for a dental check and myxo booster but obviously that will be sooner rather than later.

i've picked him some bramble, hawthorne and wild strawberry leaves.

he's having a wash now - i did get metacam all over him earlier - and me.

i'm so tired after a busy week, i feel ill anyway but my health problems take a back seat at times like these.

thank you for being there x

hmmmmm. he's changed over primarily to INGS hay - wonder if its this? not that he's eaten as much of it today:?

Sorry to hear about Eric :( Hope he feels better soon.

Dont know if this has already been suggested/tried but could you leave a worn piece of clothing behind for him when you go out, so he can still smell you? I know it sounds odd but we had to do this for Starbuck when my OH went in to hospital recently, as the time before that he seemed to go in to stasis due to the stress of his daddy not being around.

Back