• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The stresses of fostering-letting them down

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Back in October we (being me and mum) noticed that there were three littermates not surviving, growing, developing at the rescue I volunteer with. After some talking to some people I found all three a home, as a trio. The home couldn't take them straight away, so knowing they had a home, I brought them here.

A trio of bunnies, all bonded, who were only here temporarily, but had another home to go to, was perfect. I love being that halfway house.

It didn't go to plan (mostly due to the fact I made them healthy :lol:). The trio divorced, so all were single. They grew, got healthy and thrived and no longer could go as a trio, and no longer needed the special home they were going to go to (generally, as a trio). We found one had a lot of dental issues (making him unadoptable), one was brewing (likely making him unadoptable) and one appeared healthy.

I have three rabbits here whose needs I'm not meeting. They all live alone. All live in inadequate housing to accommodate all three. None get enough time with me, or enough run time. They do, however, get their needs met more with me, than they do with the Centre. I wish I could keep them all ans bond them with appropriate bunnies, but that's not an option either.

So, we've gone from a sickly trio who had a home, to three beautiful, single bunnies (two of whom are generally deemed 'unadoptable' by my rescue) who dont have the life they truly deserve. It's so, so difficult, and I feel bad for letting them down. I also feel so overwhelmed with having these bunnies and knowing I'm not giving them what they deserve.

(also, all the people I've spoken to from here, and have been involved with these bunnies, in whatever way, are and have been awesome, this is is no respect related to anyone other than me and the fact that I feel I'm letting the down but I can't actually do anything to change the situation).

Its so frustrating. I'm so desperate for them to find their forever homes. The sooner they can go, the sooner they can get the life they deserve.

*nods* it is a shame for them, but, on the flip side, I do think this is the best life they have ever known, and we get a lot of binkies and bunny 500s, and they are all glossy and bright and happy.

Just not as happy as they could be. And deserve to be.

i would say they are probably happier with you than they have been anywhere else.
don't beat yourself up, you have made them the healthy happy bunnies they are today. if anyone could have done that it was you.

you are giving them the best you can since ending up in an awkward and unpedictable situation and as you say, they ARE happy.
please don't feel bad. :)

i would say they are probably happier with you than they have been anywhere else.
don't beat yourself up, you have made them the healthy happy bunnies they are today. if anyone could have done that it was you.

you are giving them the best you can since ending up in an awkward and unpedictable situation and as you say, they ARE happy.
please don't feel bad. :)

Where would they be if it were not for you? I think they are lucky to be with you. I hope they find a forever home soon

Where would they be if it were not for you? I think they are lucky to be with you. I hope they find a forever home soon

They would be dead.

They arrived incredibly dehydrated, underweight and weak. They arrived at the age of 6 months and the smallest weighed 530g the first night, by the next morning he weighed 730g (shows what a full tummy and a water bowl can do). Now all three weigh 1.2-1.3kg (which is equal to the three siblings I didn't take on) and are all a perfect weight.

And thanks :) elis-mum

could the healthy one not find a home ?

And could the other two or all three still not be bonded and taken by the person who was going to in the first place?

could the healthy one not find a home ?

And could the other two or all three still not be bonded and taken by the person who was going to in the first place?

I'm trying to find them all a home; all separate homes. If I can find the right homes, and I trust the home, then the 'unadoptable' ones can be adopted out. But finding those homes is hard.

ETA- They can all be found on RIN (and Hay Monster and Butterfly on RR)- Little, Hay Monster and Butterfly.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find them all a home; all separate homes. If I can find the right homes, and I trust the home, then the 'unadoptable' ones can be adopted out. But finding those homes is hard.

ETA- They can all be found on RIN (and Hay Monster and Butterfly on RR)- Little, Hay Monster and Butterfly.

just had a look at all of them :love: the are all so beautiful :love: i hope they find lovely homes xx

Hi. I think you have done brilliantly. You should be proud for what you have done for them all. I really hope you find them a forever home. You have give them a chance in life that they would not have had without you.

They are adorable. Can I ask what brewing and 500 means. Thanks:wave:

If at the outset, you had known they could be "fixed" (i.e. made healthy) would you have chosen not to do that, in order that they could still go to their special home?

Of course not. ;) So rather than letting them down, you've done more for them than was ever expected.

Yes, it's a shame they don't have their forever home yet - but that's true of thousands of bunnies in rescue, who don't yet have the size of accommodation, or the amount of attention, that they will have once they are rehomed.

(Obviously I am not disparaging the efforts of rescues, who do a brilliant job - just saying that it's nice for rabbits to have a permanent home, and that a lot of them will get more space and attention, and a partner, once they're there.)

They are lucky to be loved and healthy - please don't feel bad about them.

Back