• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diet advice

tilly2484

Warren Scout
Hiya :wave:

I have 2 buns. Muffin who is 6 years old (M) and Poppy who is 5 years old (F).

Poppy is a lionhead and she gets a dirty bum a fair bit. Luckily she doesn't mind a bum bath (much) and i'm paranoid about keeping them clean as poppy had fly strike last year but luckily due to it being caught early and my fab vet she fully recovered. They have rear guard and a mozzy net over their cage now and flies are scared to come into the house now as they know wait awaits :evil:

Anyway Poppy regulary has wet poos, not runny but very soft Ceacotroph. I've never seen her eat hers. It might be they have attached to her bum from ones she has left on the floor or a build up of her not eating them. What do you suggest?

Diet wise they used to have 1 cup of SS pellets in the morning and 1 cup in the evening (between both of them). With treats of herbal delight and the odd chunk of carrot. They also have hay. I have now increased the hay and reduced the pellets to 1 cup pellets between them in the morning with hay and then just extra hay in the evening. They are not happy that they don't get pellets in the evening! But I want to try and improve things.

Any advice appreciated xx

Hi there,

Rabbits diets can vary, mine get a measured amount of Burgess excel pellets according to their weight, so harley who is 2.5kg gets about 50-75g of pellets per day. On top of this we give all our rabbits plenty of hay of different varieties, such as Timothy and Burgess excel do one called fresh herbage which contains dandelion and marigold. This is topped up on a daily basis. Rabbits can never have enough hay, just make sure its of good quality and they get plenty of fibre. Mine also get vegetables but this is limited to very small amounts every 2 days. Some rabbits are more tolerant than others of veggies - one of my rabbits produces too many ceacotrophs if we give her even the smallest amount of veg.

We also put probiotic in their water as this helps with any imbalance in the gut, and seems to solve the soft ceacotroph issue.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Laura- where can I get the probiotic from?

Poppy went to the vet today for a check up and booster jabs. They found a lump :( They are checking it again in 2 week when she goes for her VHD jab. If it gets bigger they will have to remove it. I really hope it's nothing nasty:cry:

I get the probiotic from pets at home-its in white tub with a yellow label and you just dissolve a small amount in their water- it does come with a little spoon as well so measuring out the right amount is eeasy.

Back