PDA

View Full Version : Do rabbits need greens everyday? Discuss.

Elena
22-03-2011, 07:19 PM
What do you think? Do rabbits need greens everyday? Do they need them to be fresh or is dried enough? Do you think in winter dried forage and herbs would suffice? Obviously along with masses of hay and a controlled amount of pellets.

Hoppit!
22-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I think they should have veg of some kind if they don't have grass. Not that they need it as such, but it adds interest to their lives. :)

clutterydrawer
22-03-2011, 07:21 PM
I don't think I have enough evidence to judge :)

I give mine fresh stuff most days but in winter they have odd days with dried herbs only

Bunni_xx
22-03-2011, 07:26 PM
I dont think they need it as such, but it adds variety and interest. I do think its better for them though :wave: I do think herbs and forage would be OK, but personally, I wouldn't do it :)

CharlotteMc
22-03-2011, 07:26 PM
everyday my buns have a 3-4 leaves of frexh greens in the evening :)

Elena
22-03-2011, 07:35 PM
It's interesting reading this. I eagerly await more opinions on the subject.

kaths101
22-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I have no idea if they need it, but mine dont get natural greens - plants, weeds, grass etc hardly ever (unless i pick it) as they live in a concrete run so I give them fresh veggies/herbs every morning - I think they would kill me if i stopped!!!

Jaysmonkey
22-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I don't know but mine always get fresh and dried greens.

steph182
22-03-2011, 07:48 PM
I give dry stuff every day, and fresh stuff to Charlie a few times a week. Milly gets fresh stuff pretty much every day.

Charlie will not eat any greens other than carrot, cabbage and brocolli though, no matter what I try him with.
I was growing rockett to try but my mam killed it :(

poppymoon
22-03-2011, 07:49 PM
mine enjoy it so i give it to them:) esme helps herself from the garden too. they also regularly get herbs and dried stuff. i think es would leave home if she didn't get her greens - loves them more than pellets.

Candiflare
22-03-2011, 07:49 PM
I'd be interested to know whether it was essential... Mine get greens every other day or every two days. They have several different types of hay and dried herbs to munch on in the meantime.

If I give mine greens everyday I often get uneaten caecs or little signs of stasis in some of them...

Hanlou
22-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Jack: Veggees iz vewwy important. I will emails the other bunnehs and we will av a organized protestt if our veggies iz tuk away. I iz sure Beige cud sort sumfings out wiv organizing a bunneh revoltting and mebbe even takes our case to govunment. Or Anty Angie who is the same fing.

Me: I don't know if they need veggies although I always feel it provides vitamins etc that they may not get from pellets and they thoroughly enjoy them. I have two very un-stasis prone bunnies so nothing seems to affect them - we are sensible in what we give them of course and they eat them with a relish! They have no lawn access at the minute so I it gives them some fresh food which I feel is important. Nutritionally I really don't know though......

Sorry - not very helpful!! But Jack is deadly serious! :shock: ;)

Elena
22-03-2011, 07:51 PM
My Nutmeg ignores herbs usually. She'll have a tiny bit of basil or mint but that's all. She'd prefer having dried Burns stuff all the time :roll: Smudge doesn't go crazy for herbs but Mischa and Mini both do. M&M will both be not so interested if they've been on the grass, like today I haven't given them anything cos they've been stuffing their faces with grass for over an hour this afternoon.

I think I'll give fresh herbs and the occasional spring green leaf in winter and try and get as much out of the garden/allotment as I can in spring, summer and autumn. I don't want to stop fresh stuff altogether cos I think they are invaluable for getting moisture into their guts but buying herbs all the time is so expensive. :( Especially when the lionheads aren't all that interested. I mean I'd pay for it obviously cos they're my babies and I'd rather spend money on them than myself!

It is interesting people's views though so keep 'em coming!

LilVicky
22-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Mine get fresh veg/greens either every other day or every two days.
As it sometimes upsets Toffee's tum and he doesnt eat his special poos. :?

But they have access to grass and plants they can reach in the garden all day, every day :)

I think buns need some greenery in their diet, whether its fresh veg/greens or grass and plants or even dried? :)

Elena
22-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Mine get fresh veg/greens either every other day or every two days.
As it sometimes upsets Toffee's tum and he doesnt eat his special poos. :?

Spring greens upset Mini's tummy too. And give Mischa and Nutmeg gas. Which is why I tend to stick mainly to herbs with the occasional spring green leaf.

Hanlou
22-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Herbs are expensive to buy unless they're reduced - I was looking at them today. My ideal would be to have a raised bed with lettuces / herbs etc in which I'd like to do this year but it depends on funds etc. I tried this last year in normal tubs but the birds ate the lettuces (!) so I want to do it with a mesh screen / greenhouse type covering.

I will be planting the tubs up again with herbs though and plan to buy some grass type seeds from Shelled Warriors / Hay Experts. :)

Mischief and Tinker's Mum
22-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Most days my rabbits get veg, admittedly not every day but they go on the grass everyday anyway. :wave:

Babsie
22-03-2011, 08:54 PM
My three would pack their bags if they didn't get their greens every morning. I always feed a selection (a) because they like, (b) variety of vitamins etc.

Georgeypudding
22-03-2011, 09:03 PM
mine have never had greens every day, during summer they would get fresh spring greens every few days over winter the greens were nasty so they didnt get any :lol: They have been getting dried forage though :wave:

beki
22-03-2011, 09:08 PM
i give mine veggies most days, not because i particularly think they need it daily but because it makes them happy! they get so excited when they see me coming with a bowl of greens! grass no so much, though they love dandelions :)

donnamt
22-03-2011, 09:14 PM
when i told Lou i was stopping veg to see if it stopped Holly's excess special poops she asked me to reconsider, it was a hot summer and she was of the opinion veg was very good for hydration of the gut especially for Alvin with his stasis issues. so for this reason alone i think fresh veg in the summer is a must. it made sense to me more water in the gut better it moves :D

not sure how important veg is in the winter except for saving my own life, if i didnt give it daily Holly and Alvin would whoop my ass

Captain Helen
22-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Not sure if they need it, but I give mine greens every day. They love them so much and I'd hate to think of them sat waiting all evening and nothing... :( When I'm home they get to help themselves to plenty of grass all day too. :)

Hanlou
22-03-2011, 09:23 PM
if i didnt give it daily Holly and Alvin would whoop my ass

Jack: I likes the sounds of these bunnehs. I finks I shall adds them to my emailsing list. They cud be vewwy gud at the revoltings if veggies stop I finks! They must be vewwy clevva bunnehs.

nessar
22-03-2011, 09:31 PM
This is interesting for me too, Shuette, I guess you've been thinking more about our conversation the other day about veg, vitamins and pellets.

I personally am going to cut down on veg, but I think I will still give a small amount every day, as he does enjoy it. I might just give the same type everyday till it runs out, then a different type till it does etc... along with pluckings from my herb plants or fruit twice a week.

littleboots
22-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Mine get a good selection every day.

benkat
22-03-2011, 09:39 PM
:wave: I think feeding a variety of fresh veg & herbs daily is far more important than feeding pellets. Greens & herbs offer a far more natural diet both for the digestive system & also for teeth than pellets ever will.
In spring & summer some of their hay is replaced with fresh grass & and kale, dandelions.
I don't feed fruit or carrots due to the high sugar content. Kale & spinach are only fed occasionally due to the high calcium content.
If I fed pellets in place of veg I would have 1 anorexic bun (she doesn't really like pellets) & 1 morbidly obese bun (she's like a kid in a sweet shop where pellets are around!)

However.... due to the unfortunate way a lot of buns are bred & raised before us bunny lovers get them, some have real problems digesting the most basic vegetation - it's very sad, but true :cry:

Indy
22-03-2011, 09:45 PM
I feed the odd quarter of a carrot/piece of broccoli/herb to my two but not regularly... Indy isnt a great hay eater and if he can skive off on veggies he eats even less. He doesnt eat grass in the run really... more sits and cleans himself:roll:

Elena
22-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Herbs are expensive to buy unless they're reduced - I was looking at them today. My ideal would be to have a raised bed with lettuces / herbs etc in which I'd like to do this year but it depends on funds etc. I tried this last year in normal tubs but the birds ate the lettuces (!) so I want to do it with a mesh screen / greenhouse type covering.

I will be planting the tubs up again with herbs though and plan to buy some grass type seeds from Shelled Warriors / Hay Experts. :)

Yeah so far this year I have two big trays with grass and weed seeds in. Then I have a variety of herbs that I am hoping to maintain in pots so that in the winter I can bring in the greenhouse and hopefully overwinter. I also have some old-ish herb seeds I'm going to pot up. During summer it's not too bad but autumn/winter is harder.

This is interesting for me too, Shuette, I guess you've been thinking more about our conversation the other day about veg, vitamins and pellets.

I personally am going to cut down on veg, but I think I will still give a small amount every day, as he does enjoy it. I might just give the same type everyday till it runs out, then a different type till it does etc... along with pluckings from my herb plants or fruit twice a week.

That was part of it yes :oops:

when i told Lou i was stopping veg to see if it stopped Holly's excess special poops she asked me to reconsider, it was a hot summer and she was of the opinion veg was very good for hydration of the gut especially for Alvin with his stasis issues. so for this reason alone i think fresh veg in the summer is a must. it made sense to me more water in the gut better it moves :D

not sure how important veg is in the winter except for saving my own life, if i didnt give it daily Holly and Alvin would whoop my ass

The hydration is something I thought of. Actually probably the biggest reason for me to find a few alternatives. Fortunately in summer I can get plenty of stuff and a nice variety. :thumb:

:wave: I think feeding a variety of fresh veg & herbs daily is far more important than feeding pellets. Greens & herbs offer a far more natural diet both for the digestive system & also for teeth than pellets ever will.
In spring & summer some of their hay is replaced with fresh grass & and kale, dandelions.
I don't feed fruit or carrots due to the high sugar content. Kale & spinach are only fed occasionally due to the high calcium content.
If I fed pellets in place of veg I would have 1 anorexic bun (she doesn't really like pellets) & 1 morbidly obese bun (she's like a kid in a sweet shop where pellets are around!)

However.... due to the unfortunate way a lot of buns are bred & raised before us bunny lovers get them, some have real problems digesting the most basic vegetation - it's very sad, but true :cry:

But aren't pellets essential in indoor rabbits cos of the Vitamin D?

Without pellets there would be a lot of weeing on my bed taking place :lol: Mine are fine with all veg except sweet veg and fruit (Mini) and brassicas (Mischa, Mini & Nutmeg)

Jaysmonkey
22-03-2011, 10:27 PM
My bunnies have twice a day the following; this is per pair of bunnies. So each pair gets this: I'll take pictures tomorrow as they've had tea now.

'1 baby corn, 2 sugar snap peas, 2 stalks of saag, 5 sprigs of dill, 6 sprigs of flat leaf parsley, 2 sprigs of mint, 6 sprigs of coriander, 2 sprigs of curly leaf parsley, 2 leaves of pak choi or choi sum, a handful of the darkest leafiest spring greens, a small florette of broccoli. About once a month they have apple, banana or carrot. They don't really have pellets; though when they do it's Oxbow bunny basics T, and they get an eggcup per pair say every 3 days.

The above veges are given at 7.30am and 7.30pm every day. Always have fresh hay of a mass variety.

None of my buns are overweight, one is actually underweight and none suffer from mucky bum. All buns have had this diet for an ongoing time. Lola has had it for coming up to 5 years. They have very minimal treats, but do have dried plantain, coltsfoot and dandelion (though these aren't given too often) as they are usually successfully in tempting a bunny in stasis to nom.

Elena
22-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Sadly I could never get away with giving Mini one baby corn and two sugar snap peas twice a day. In summer when our peas are harvested she can handle one pod a day and even then I have to give her a break from them every few days.

That is the sort of thing I would like to accomplish though. Hence why I'm growing my own. Have never seen a dill plant in asda :roll::lol:

lildebs
22-03-2011, 10:41 PM
I read that by providing fresh veg/herbs the buns is receiving a balanced diet, vitamins, healthy coat, eyes etc...this with the hay and a few pellets.

My 3 get 10 SS in the morning each, (Dolly a little more) but they all get veg/herbs in an evening, usually a good variation. Tonight they had, carrot tops, endive, small amount Kale, sprig Dill, corriander, last night they had parsley instead of kale...generally a mixture of 3 or 4 diff types.

I find it much cheaper to buy off the market as they're bigger bunches straight from the soils not 'dressed herbs' from the supermarket, which are gone in one meal.

Becky86
22-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Our bunnies (and fosters) get a bowl of 4/5 different veggies every evening. I can imagine Ronnie if he never got his veg at 10pm :shock: I couldn't not give our kids veg daily :?

Alibunmum
22-03-2011, 10:59 PM
My guys have daily unlimited grass throughout the year. I have always felt that this is the most natural diet for them and that the veg I would feed them is not what they would naturally eat in the wild. I do give them herbs on most days but more as a treat than a staple. My Tesco do massive bunches of herbs at 2 for 1.50 and there is more per bunch than in a living pot. I tend to buy 4 bunches every week and that gives my own two plus any fosters a couple of sprigs a day.

In summer they get very little in the way of pellets because they are in the garden from 9am till at least 7pm with free access into their hutch. They spend all their time out grazing on the grass unless it is too warm when they camp out under the kids' trampoline on the bark where it must be cool! The kids stuff is in the shade so it must be really cool! At night they still have ad lib good quality hay.

My problem with feeding them veg is that I don't want them to fill up on food which isn't as good at keeping their teeth in check or their guts moving properly so have just avoided the issue by not feeding it. My vet agrees that this is a good diet for them and is happy with their condition when he sees them.

To try and be more self-sufficient this year I have ordered 24 jumbo plug plants of herbs to plant, 70 marigolds and 10 raspberry canes. The raspberries are really for us but I am sure the rabbits won't say no to the leaves and branches!

Minimallow
22-03-2011, 11:02 PM
NO idea whether they NEED them but i do know they (all 7 of mine) thoroughly enjoy them and nom them like nothing else on earth. I give pellets and veg twice a day (some days its just once if i run out :oops: bad mummy). I think they are bound to get some essential vitamins from them and again, especially in summer i'm sure the water in them helps. I think adding variety to any animals diet is always good for them (providing its done correctly).

SarahP
22-03-2011, 11:04 PM
My view is that they aren't necessary, and that they should only be fed in small amounts, as the fibre content is too low for bunnies to eat as much of a percentage of their daily food intake. I also think it's better to feed a small amount every day than a larger amount every 2 or 3 days.

shell1805
22-03-2011, 11:21 PM
bella and jasper have brocolli, carrotts and cauliflower every morning with their bowls of p&h junior/dwarf pelletts. they have this pretty much every day, but once a week i give them just a mix of dried herbs with their pelletts. i have no idea whether they need this but both tums are good on this and ive never thought to change it :wave: (also..... i only feed them in the morning, does every one feed there buns twice a day??? both of them dont finish their bowls of pelletts till way into the late evening so one bowl lasts them all day. i do fill up their hay about 3 times though)

:wave:

glossta1
22-03-2011, 11:30 PM
More than anything, I try to avoid drastic change, because from what I read generally and on here, sudden change causes many problems. Ours free-range daily, and get a good supply of grass all year round, so we don't get the 'new spring grass' problem. They also have free access to unlimited hay overnight. And we try to offer a good mix of vege bits and bobs as a reward for going home each night, all designed to make no sudden changes in gut balance. If that answers the original question...

The Duchess
22-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Those of you feeding greens daily, do you consider the levels of calcium in the whole of your buns diet?

Thread here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277366

SarahP
22-03-2011, 11:37 PM
At the risk of being controversial, I think sometimes we think of bunnies as being little furry humans who must have their 5 a day. I should have said in my last post, my two stasis bunnies ended up not being able to tolerate veggies at all, and went on for a long time without any at all. This was life-prolonging rather than life-shortening, and I certainly saw no sign of any malnutrition - they died of a progressive condition, not a lack of veggies.

donnamt
23-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Those of you feeding greens daily, do you consider the levels of calcium in the whole of your buns diet?

Thread here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277366

less pellets here than i would give if there was no greens in the diet, worked it out (well tried to once) and theres far more calcium in pellets than greens.

GrahamL
23-03-2011, 08:54 AM
No, they dont need greens every day :wave:

But they do add an interest to their lives, i guess its the same as living on one or two things for us, it'd be boring, but we'd survive :)

sillyrabbit
23-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Do you just mean like green veg or things like herbs that are green? :oops:

Mine get fresh veg every day. Sometimes its kale or spring greens but not every single day, I vary it so they don't have to eat the same thing every day

Jaysmonkey
23-03-2011, 11:29 AM
A taster of what my lot get per pair twice a day.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/Jaysmonkey/SDC15838.jpg

Sometimes I scatter it sometimes I leave it on the tray since they mug me for it before I have chance to scatter. Excuse the dried dandelion mess and that stray poop by Lola! :oops:

Bunni_xx
23-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Mmmmm, steph, I could eat that! Is it bad? :oops::oops::wave:

MopsyMops =]
23-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Ogs has some 5-6 times a week. The amount he has maybe different each time but he will have some greens 5 or 6 days aswell as having endless hay and a handful of pellets. He does very well on this and is very healthy :wave:

Elena
23-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Do you just mean like green veg or things like herbs that are green? :oops:

Mine get fresh veg every day. Sometimes its kale or spring greens but not every single day, I vary it so they don't have to eat the same thing every day

Oh I mean veg in general. It's just the strong majority of what I feed my bunnies is green.

I suppose what I mean is FRESH stuff as opposed to DRIED stuff.

shadow05
23-03-2011, 12:20 PM
i think so its adds variety to there life especially if they have there veg switched around every time. :D

JLG
23-03-2011, 12:28 PM
I think ideally they would have grass & wild stuff every day as in the wild even in winter thats what they'd be nibbling on. So some sort of green stuff may be the next best thing (for buns who can tolerate them). Mine are outdoors and have continued to nibble on frosty frozen stuff a bit each day over the winter, with extra veg, mostly green stuff, added. (and tons of hay, obviously)
But with domesticated buns they seem prone to so many more problems so we have to be careful, one size doesn;'t fit all as far as feeding is concerned.

(so thankful I have 2 cast iron bunny tums):rabbit2:

Rupert & Tia
23-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I give my two veg every morning, and 25g of pellets..

They get brocolli, carrot, spring greens (or cabbage - i vary this), apple and usually something else (they had a bit of strawberry this morning as a treat).

Then they have their unlimited hay (just put them onto burgess hay with dandlion and they LOVE IT!).

I don't tend to give them anything in the evening as they weren't eating it.

We put their pellets into treat balls tho, so they have something to play with.

they also eat my hebe bush and grass when they are out lol (every morning and every evening)

BB Mommy
23-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I give mine fresh veg every day.

As they eat a mostly dry diet of hay and pellets, the moisture in the veg helps keep the guts moving, imo.

In the wild a rabbit wouldn't choose to eat only dried foods, but would forage for fresh every day, and I think its important to keep as close to their natural habits as possible.

MichelleGsPets
23-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Mine get fed fresh veggies twice a day - morning and night.

They would go mad if I didn't give it to them, one I open the door to feed them all I can see is them throwing themselves up the sides of there cages for the veggies LOL..

Infact one of my rabbits actually NEEDS his veggies. Once in the blue moon I'd run out of veggies so they would go a day without them or only have a small amount and If Dexter doesn't get his portion size of veggies he will stop eatting his pellets and hay. He liturelly will not eat hay and pellets untill he gets them first and once he has the veggies he will eat everything else then LOL.. Its wierd.

HorseyHolly
23-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Mine get a variety of greens/herbs 6 days a week, I too would be killed if I didn't give them :lol: I only give fruit and carrot on special occasions!