• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfalfa, Chaf and Licks?

lois.d

New Kit
Hello all,

I was just wondering if it is ok to feed rabbits alfalfa, chaff and mineral licks?
I was topping up my horse's feed and I was wondering to myself whether any of the stuff was suitable to feed my rabbits. Hay seems to make my rabbits sneeze and clearly it is far too dusty so I thought perhaps stuffing a food ball with Dengi or molly chaff (equine chaff/alfalfa brands). I have seen alfalfa rings marketed for bunnies but they are so expensive so I'm wondering if I can make them myself?

Additionally my horses and dogs believe it or not love the mineral licks. My feed merchant has started stocking a small lick it that comes in loads of flavours (apple, carrot etc) I was thinking my rabbits would love it... but would it harm them?

Look forward to your replies. xx

Hello

I would avoid Alflafa altogether to be honest. Bunnies get some in most pelleted foods, but apart from that it's loaded with too much protein and calcium (legume hay) so not worth the associated issues in my opinion.

Some people feed Alflafa hay but if I were to give this, it would only be sprinkled over normal meadow as a treat.

:wave: The flavoured licks you are talking about are full of sugar, so I would advise you against giving them to your rabbit. The same with Mollichaff - it's coated in molasses to make it taste nice, but wouldn't be good for your rabbit's tummy.

If you make sure your rabbit gets good quality hay, it shouldn't be dusty :)

:wave: The flavoured licks you are talking about are full of sugar, so I would advise you against giving them to your rabbit.

Not to mention lots of calcium if you go for the small animals licks. Too much calcium isn't good so these are best avoided :wave:

If you want to give good healthy treats you can give different types of hay, dried herbs, brambles, apple or pear tree branches etc.

Back