• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit has just been spayed and won't eat! :(

Klurr

Young Bun
Hi everyone!

Found this site a few hours ago after googling as I'm very very worried about my little bun who was spayed yesterday. She was spayed around midday and we were told she wouldn't be leaving the vets unless she was eating. They sent her home with us last night and we just couldn't get her to eat. She hasn't eaten all day today either. I did take her back to the vets this morning and they gave me a sachet of "critical food for herbivores"...no luck in getting her to eat it, and no luck in syringing either.

I've gone through a few threads and noticed alot of people talking about pain relief/meds...to my knowledge my rabbit hasn't had ANY which, after reading peoples posts, I find quite shocking! I put her in her hutch about an hour and a half ago with a mix of dry food and a ton of fresh greens in the hopes that she will perk up through the night. She's not really drowsy still, she's fully alert when you go near her and is inquisitive as always, but at the same time she does look very tired. I witnessed her have her first drink around two hours ago, and she was there for a good 15 minutes. She's also moving around a bit more than she was and has started cleaning herself again. She just won't eat. If she isn't eating tomorrow I'll be back at the vets with her.

Just wondering, how normal is it to have a rabbit completely uninterested in food after an op? I mean, I imagine it would take a little while to get her appetite back, but its been almost 36 hours now and she hasn't eaten anything, and I'm getting very very worried! Also, if worse comes to worse and she hasn't eaten by tomorrow morning, how would I go about force feeding her? I'm scared of hurting her and without the aid of someone who can take bunny kicks to the arms it seems impossible to me.

Thankyou for any advice!

Hiya.Any poops???
Do you think you could find out if shes had a long acting pain relief inj??
I would be very concerned if shes not eaten in this time.
Got any faves to tempt her with????

Hi, thanks for the response

No, she hasn't done any pellets all day to my knowledge, and I've been round her most of the day. She has had one wee today but that was only about two hours ago. I'm not sure whether she has had pain relief or not, I haven't been told :( This is my first rabbit and I'm still learning about them so wasn't sure what to expect with having her spayed! If she is not eating tomorrow I am definitely going back to the vets with her and asking whether they have given her any pain relief, I have a funny feeling that's the problem! She is lying funny and sitting funny all the time so I do imagine she's in pain :( I'm really worried about her, I'm pleased she's drinking but I really need her to eat! :(

I went thru this with my little 'un very recently. Your bun *must* eat; I syringed Cookie for several days (half of it ended up on her face, admittedly :oops:), and I syringed water as well. She licked cold water off spinach leaves, but had no interest in food.

We had to go back to the vets several times, and she was given injections to start her tummy off. She's fine now, but it was very worrying.

Bun must also have painkillers.

Do call your vet, and best wishes to you and bun.

Hi, thanks for the response

No, she hasn't done any pellets all day to my knowledge, and I've been round her most of the day. She has had one wee today but that was only about two hours ago. I'm not sure whether she has had pain relief or not, I haven't been told :( This is my first rabbit and I'm still learning about them so wasn't sure what to expect with having her spayed! If she is not eating tomorrow I am definitely going back to the vets with her and asking whether they have given her any pain relief, I have a funny feeling that's the problem! She is lying funny and sitting funny all the time so I do imagine she's in pain :( I'm really worried about her, I'm pleased she's drinking but I really need her to eat! :(

Please try and tempt her with goodies and contact your vet, even if its just for a chat.Put your mind at rest.(and mine!!!!)xxx

Maybe try porridge oats - tablespoon mixed with 2 tablespoons boiling water and allow to cool. Her pellets mashed in hot water. Favourite herbs. My two took a little while but did take something within 24 hours. By the way is she inside as she should really be kept indoors for a few days after spaying? Not too warm if she is an outdoor bunny but certainly out of drafts etc. Hope she is OK.

Far too long to not be eating.

You should have been given a discharge sheet which will show the meds she has had but if she was back to vets this morning she should have been given more.

I would call your vets and tell them the situation - she should have Painkillers and a Gut mobilizer.

Personally I would want to keep bunny inside where I can keep her warm and keep a close eye on her eating & pooing. give her a covered quiet area where she can feel safe, lower or turn out the lights as this sometimes sparks some eating and pooping.

A bowl of water is easier to drink from if they are feeling poorly.

Fresh herbs are often a the first thing they will start eating, or Rocket, spring greens - you can try a little grated carrot or apple, even some banana.

You can offer a little saucer of Recovery food which she may help herself to.

To syringe feed I put a folded towel on the kitchen table, place bunny on the towel bottom to my tummy, holding shoulders down to restrict movement, leaning forward place hand over head lifting corner of mouth insert syringe (above tounge) and slowly squeeze to food in. Be very careful to ensure bun does not fall off the table - but I usually find they settle there as they feel less secure - taking them in to a room they are less familiar with often makes them easier to handle.

She is inside, in the kitchen in her own hutch seperated from the other rabbit we have (who is very confused atm!). I did have a sheet of paper yes, but all it literally said was that she had dissolvable stitches and that she has to go back friday for a check up. I really do think they have missed the pain meds out here! There was no mention that she had any at all, and all the vet gave me today was a sachet of what looked like herbs. That's it. I'm actually getting worked up here, I really do think they have forgot about the pain killers. It's been 36 hours with no food, just some water :(

I have a feeling she won't be eating tomorrow, I'll have to try and force feed her then get her straight to the vets. I really do think I've hit the nail on the head with this pain medication thing. B******s!!!

I would call the vets, they should have an out of hours service, I would explain the problem - even if she had pain killers post op, they won't still be effective now she needs some more, at very least you can arrange to take her in first thing in the morning even if you can't get her there straight away.

You did mix up the recovery food with water didn't you?

It's an open clinic so I don't need an app, I can just walk straight in tomorrow morning. Unfortunately the emergency vets closest to me is in Coventry, I live in Nuneaton, a good 45 minute drive away...if I could drive. Yes I mixed it with water, followed the instructions to a T and she just won't have it. I have tried syringing but she struggles too much and my arms and chest are covered in lovely little scratches. Even tried just mushing some onto the bottoms of her ears so she would at least lick it off, but nothing :(

I have put a vitamin supplement in her water though. I think after reading what everyone has said its best to take her straight in tomorrow morning. I am 100% sure she hasn't had any pain relief or any other injections for that matter, and after reading everything here, its quiet clear she should have!

Thankyou for all your responses guys, really panicking! I keep trying but she just doesn't want to eat. I don't want to stress her anymore, so I think I will leave her for the rest of the night now. My mum is up at 6am so will check her then. I'll be taking her back to the vets at 8.

I just wanna say a MASSIVE thankyou to all your responses and advice!!!!

I put some spinach and apple in her hutch last night, and this morning all of it had gone! She hasn't eaten any "proper" food, but she's eating greens at least! Just hand fed her some more apple and now gonna chuck a ton more spinach at her. She was drinking alot last night by the looks of it, about a quarter of her bottle had gone and she doesn't usually drink that much at all. Since she seems to be eating, I don't want to upset her or stress her out by taking her back to the vets, so will monitor what she's eating throughout the day. She has to be back at the vets tomorrow anyway for a checkup. I'm just hoping she starts eating more and more, she's never usually not eating!

I would definitely find out about the pain relief, I gave my rabbit pain relief for 4 days after and antibiotics for a week after her operation which my vet gave to me. She was groggy for at least 3 days after her op but she was eating, so I'd definitely get her seen by your vet.

I found that it was easier to syringe feed my rabbit by wrapping her in a small hand towel and then picking her up and cradling her in my arms, this way her feet were wrapped up which meant she couldn't struggle and she felt less stressed, I was then able to put the syringe in her mouth.

If you're unsure whether your vet is rabbit savvy I'd ask people on here if they can recommend one in your area.

Bobby was the same, i had to go back to the vet and get her an injection, she literally brightened up within minutes. Flat leaf parsley got my girl eating

you could maybe ring them and get some oral pain relief......thats what mine came home with for 3 days after.
They may give it you without taking her to the vets........

I'm really pleased she's eating now that's a good sign.

It is will be stressful for her to go to the vets but better safe than sorry.

banana is always a good treat food !

Her name is Bunbun...don't ask, really :p She's a dwarf lop, I think her colour is Harlequin. She has a BFF, another drawf lop a little smaller than her who is grey with the tinyest bit of brown, though in the light she shines silver! Her name is Izzy Wizzy.

Just been and spent some time with her, haven't handled her cos I'm scared she's getting a bit pee'd off with it! Offered her some apple and she didn't want it, but a nice head and ear rub with alot of teeth griding sorted her out, and she's ate some apple, spinach, rocket and a bit of a rich tea biscuit! She's not interested in her "proper" food at all atm. I've asked my mum to pick up a basil or parsley plant, she can demolish those in like 2 minutes, so I'm hoping it picks her up a bit. She's moving around a bit more, cleaning herself alot more and doesn't seem so grumpy. I haven't yet seen any wee's or poo's. Haven't seen any poo since surgery on tuesday and her last wee was last night, on me I might add! She has a checkup tomorrow so if she's still not pooing I will be bringing that up with the vet. The bottom of her hutch is closed off atm to save her stretching up and down the stairs, and she's used to having her litter tray in the bottom. Surely she wouldn't be not pooing because of that?

Seriously, thank you guys so much, I was really worried about her, I'm alot happier now she's eating something! I'll leave her to get a nap then I'll have her in the front room later on so she can stretch a bit. That and for cuddles with Izzy!

Back