• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Noah - a couple of questions about his behaviour - rabbit newbie

mystic.bertie

Young Bun
i recently aquired noah, a male rabbit, im not sure if he is a particular breed, pic below, he is just under a year old.

i got a large indoor cage for him and a hutch but im keeping him indoors, i put woodshavings and lots of hay in his cage, he ends up flattening the hay and does not lie on it, he clears a bare bit in the woodshavings and lies on that, so should i just put a little hay in for him to munch on if he is not using it for bedding?

if i leave his cage open he wont come out by himself, if i lift him out he is happy on the sofa beside me and my kids however he leaves dropping over the sofa and has peed twice. can i stop him doing this in any way?

when he is outside in the hutch he uses the enclosed bit for a toilet and sits out in the open bit exposed more to the cold and wind, any suggestions how to get him to use the enclosure for sleeping in? I probably wont put him outside till the milder weather is here and i get a run made for him too.

thanks
robert

Photo-0007.jpg

i recently aquired noah, a male rabbit, im not sure if he is a particular breed, pic below, he is just under a year old.

i got a large indoor cage for him and a hutch but im keeping him indoors, i put woodshavings and lots of hay in his cage, he ends up flattening the hay and does not lie on it, he clears a bare bit in the woodshavings and lies on that, so should i just put a little hay in for him to munch on if he is not using it for bedding?

if i leave his cage open he wont come out by himself, if i lift him out he is happy on the sofa beside me and my kids however he leaves dropping over the sofa and has peed twice. can i stop him doing this in any way?

when he is outside in the hutch he uses the enclosed bit for a toilet and sits out in the open bit exposed more to the cold and wind, any suggestions how to get him to use the enclosure for sleeping in? I probably wont put him outside till the milder weather is here and i get a run made for him too.

thanks
robert

Photo-0007.jpg

Noah is :love:
Woodshavings are bad for buns apparently they cause respiratory problems..Just put lots of hay in:D
As for the sofa you could litter train him?
Umm im not sure about the hutch...he cant go out yet anyway because its too cold:wave:
Sorry i wasnt much help im sure someone will come along soon:wave::wave:

He is gorgeous, is he a harlequin lop? I am rubbish with breeds.

I had to let mine pick their own toilet really. I wouldn't pop him on the sofa for a little while until you have him litter trained. Leave him on the floor to explore and to figure out how to get from his cage to the living room...that is a bit tricky for buns sometimes, a bit of difficult spacial awareness.

Litter training can be tricky, there is loads of advice on here. Basically, I would suggest getting a litter tray, putting some soiled litter in and then putting it on the spot in the living room where he is most likely to, or begins to, pee and poo.

Litter training is much easier if he is snipped...has he been done? (sorry if I overlooked that). Also, I'm not a sawdust fan for indoor buns, it is so messy. Have you thought of trying Megazorb? Lots more absorbent and less stinky!

Finally, mine always move everything aside on their top level and lie on the hard wood - stoopid bunnies! He'll make himself comfortable, so don't worry about that.

Hope this helps :)

Neutering should help with his litter training and stop the marking of the sofa!

Noah is :love:
Woodshavings are bad for buns apparently they cause respiratory problems..Just put lots of hay in:D
As for the sofa you could litter train him?
Umm im not sure about the hutch...he cant go out yet anyway because its too cold:wave:
Sorry i wasnt much help im sure someone will come along soon:wave::wave:

i did not know wood shavings were bad so why does the pet shop sell them for rabbits?

yeah i will need to read up on litter training him

He is gorgeous, is he a harlequin lop? I am rubbish with breeds.

I had to let mine pick their own toilet really. I wouldn't pop him on the sofa for a little while until you have him litter trained. Leave him on the floor to explore and to figure out how to get from his cage to the living room...that is a bit tricky for buns sometimes, a bit of difficult spacial awareness.

Litter training can be tricky, there is loads of advice on here. Basically, I would suggest getting a litter tray, putting some soiled litter in and then putting it on the spot in the living room where he is most likely to, or begins to, pee and poo.

Litter training is much easier if he is snipped...has he been done? (sorry if I overlooked that). Also, I'm not a sawdust fan for indoor buns, it is so messy. Have you thought of trying Megazorb? Lots more absorbent and less stinky!

Finally, mine always move everything aside on their top level and lie on the hard wood - stoopid bunnies! He'll make himself comfortable, so don't worry about that.

Hope this helps :)

im not sure what he is i was given him his previous owner is no longer with us to ask.

when i let him run about the living room he jumps back in his cage lol either that he jumps up on the sofa.

he has not been snipped but im thinking of getting him done, if it means it will cut down on the pees and poos he is doing on my sofa it will be worth it lol.

i have not looked at megazorb, just googled it, do local stores stock it?

Back