• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

female keeps biteing male genitals

hi all cliff and maria here we have two dutch blues male and female from same litter when we picked them up from pets at home we where told that they was all males as much as when we see the three together my thoughts was hmmm shame to seprate them but maria said two yes three no way so we picked two later to find ben keep trying to sex jerry so back to shop they confired my suspisions hmmmm male and female by this time me and maria had bonded with them so then we had them neuterd and spayed vet said 10 days and they should calm down all well and good kept them apart for 10 days but jerry the girl has been biteing ben penis twice now and vet new this at first visit tonight she has done it again she has blood on her nose is this common and can someone help me with this problem or advise me on how to stop this they seem to be ok most of thev time its when ben tries to sex her the wrong way in front rather than from behind i have read a little on this dosent seem uncommon but me and maria find this very distressing the thought that ben might get his penis bitten off is it because she been stuck in a cage with to males before we picked them up at shop and been driven crazy by two males also we checked the other male in shop who sadly we had to leave their and shop said he has been bitten in same place and would also like to no if they will contiue sexing after the operations they have had
they lay together somtimes and groom each other then she puts her head very slowly weather to sniff him or bite him we are not sure we do our best to prevent this but both times its happened ben has engaged at the wrong end and been bitten can anyone advise us on how to stop this we dont mind them doing what rabbits do but we need to stop her biteing hill we willie winkie many thanks cliff and maria

My concentration is shot, sorry, but how long ago was he neutered?

Has he seen a vet to check his bits because rabbits can cause hugely serious damage to boy bits if they mount the wrong way.

If he was neutered within the past 6-8 weeks I would suggest splitting them again (maybe allowing them supervised play) because he is too hormonal to be trusted with her.

From reading this it seems like maybe they were put together after only 10 days after the neutering?

This is much too soon for them as the male will still feel very sexy and be mounting the female still - it takes several weeks for him to calm down and stop annoying her.

was she spayed at the same time? Hope so because the male can remain fertile for 3-4 weeks after castration (the sperm are held apart from the testes). If she was sayed at the same time she will also still be hormonal and grumpy.

I suggest you do part them for now (leave them in seperate cages side by side to keep them with each other) and then try to re-introduce on NEUTRAL territory that neither of them knows in a couple of weeks time.

Also have the boy checked out by a vet to make sure he is still ok - the female can do really serious damage by biting the p****.

biteing of genitals

hi thanks for your speedy reply we are taking them to vet in morn last time she done it we had him checked and he was ok but back to vet in morn to give him a telling off he did say put them together but we have been watching them very close so now one out at a time for a few weeks
they are next to each other in cages thanks so much for your advice

Back