• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

nostril clogged eye weepy--baytril not working

shebunkin

Warren Scout
I've read all the relevant posts I can find on snuffles, eye, dental etc-- any thoughts please on the below? After discussion with vet we will today try discontinuing antibiotics, and if no worsening, live with a low level infection. The vet decided against dopicillin as Bandit has not got much spare flesh and we thought it would be painful and stressful.

Our 10 year old netherland cross Bandit was swabbed in early Nov when he had both nostrils showing cream coloured discharge and one (LEFT SIDE) blocked-- eye on same side had (clear ) discharge. A swab came back query Staphlococcus ( may not have been 100% conclusive) He has been on Baytril since then. He is lively and cheery and interacts happily with mate Rose. Now he has discharge only from one nostril-- it whistles a bit but is not fully blocked and vet says no chest congestion audible. We have had 2 tear duct flushes.

He is on Metacam and has been since March --first for Ec, (now completely symptom free) then for eye discomfort. We plan to continue this indefinitely .

He has also been on longterm fucithalmic drops for corneal ulcers which have dramatically reduced-- nearly gone-- hurray!!!But now continuing the Fucithalmic partly due to this nasal thing.

The vet suggested we should stop the Baytril and see if he remains stable. If not re-start the Baytril or start Septrin again which he previously had for several months due to his eye problems.

We don't think the problem is dental. In March Bandit had soreness from spurs on (RIGHT) side and all molars were rasped in March-- recent otoscope examination showed no obvious apparent mouth soreness or spurs -- and in any case another GA has been ruled out.

We know Septrin and Baytril are not the greatest for snuffles-- but are easy to feed on food. Vet thinks we are unlikely to 'cure' the condition, just maintain him in comfort.

I gave the last of our supply of Baytil this morning. Others on the forum seem to have lived with sneezes and nasal discharge on-going. Any thoughts?

Shebunkin

Has bun had an x-ray to determine if tooth roots could be the cause, as you say its on one side only?

Even if to only discount that as a possibility, would certainly be worth it i'd think.

Shame your vet won't try depocillin, i have a bun with snuffles (with dehabilitating sneezes, basically has to collapse and lay down for 30-40 minutes after a 'bout') currently on it and its working a treat. Not sure about the 'excess fat' bit you mentioned affecting it, im afraid my knowledge doesnt stretch that far. I've found baytril doesn't scratch most things, especially tooth/eye area infections, in my experience.

Zithromax can be a very effective med for respiratory issues. Its also given orally (my bunny goes nuts for it). Might it be worth looking into that?

Have the tear ducts been flushed?

Also, as Gray says, has your bunny had an x-ray done?

Would your vet consider Alamycin LA - its an Oxytetracycline.

I can't find any bunny specific info but we have previously used this on Bluebell and it wasn't bad.

The info I can find says 'has been shown to be effective in vitro against the following bacterial species: Bordetella bronchiseptica, Corynebacterium pyogenes, Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, Escherichia coli, Haemophilus somnus, Pasteurella haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, Salmonella dublin, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus agalactiae, Streptococcus faecalis, Streptococcus pyogenes and Streptococcus uberis.'

Zithromax can be a very effective med for respiratory issues. Its also given orally (my bunny goes nuts for it). Might it be worth looking into that?

Thank you for this Sky-O. I will keep this in mind for Bluebell if we have no luck on the Septrin. My vets particularly wary of using depocillin until we've tried other meds first.

Bandit

Thank you for your suggestions-- I will look up zithromax and alamycin. They won't Xray Bandit without GA and GA is thought to be too much of a risk due to his age etc. He has had 2 successful tear duct wash outs and may have another. Any other suggestions? Thanks for reading and replying to this thread. Shebunkin

monitoring Bandit after Baytril stopped

After talking to the vet we took the plunge and last night was Bandit's first without his twice daily oral Baytril. We are trying a spell without antibiotics, as the Baytril did not seem to be doing much.I'm a bit anxious, as he still has symptoms, but hope his immune system will keep him stable.

I'm going to give Bio Lapis to re-establish gut flora. We are continuing his metacam and Fucithalmic eyedrops.
Shebunkin

Back