• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peggy is very poorly. Now at the Bridge.

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I went out to give the buns their breakfast this morning and found Peggy huddled into her blankie. She was unresponsive and when I picked her up she had been lying in her own urine, which was stuck to her fur with droppings. She rallied a little when I gave her a warm bum bath but didn't struggle like she usually does:(

I dashed her to the vet as an emergency and she is dehydrated and cold. She had been in the cold part of the hutch and there was frost here last night. There was lots of hay in the sleeping part but just a blankie and carpet in the open part.

The vet said she has lost weight and he could see a spur in her mouth. He thinks she hasn't been eating her caetrophs (sp?) - which would make sense as I have been bathing her regularly.

I left her with him for under the skin fluids, a dental, a trim around her bottom and metacam for her arthritis. He said I can have her home tonight but need to consider putting her to sleep tomorrow if things don't improve as he doesn't think it fair to keep her going:(

I am hoping that the dental will encourage her to eat more. He did say I could feed her the caetrophs. I take them off her fur with my nails anyway and only bath her if they are stuck, so that would be easy for me to do.

I left Sue with her. She has lost weight too but kicked me as usual when I picked her up.

If Peggy is PTS I think it may be best to let Sue go at the same time as they are so devoted and Sue couldn't cope with the stress of being bonded with any of my other buns. Sue is still feisty though and I don't feel she is ready. I don't think Peggy is ready either, but don't like to disagree with my vet.

I feel a very Bad Bunny Mummy as I should have taken her to the vet sooner but I thought as she was eating she would be OK and had booked her in for tomorrow to have her teeth checked.

Lots and lots of vibes for my darling bunnies please.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Peggy is so ill. I hope she perks up.

Its ok to fight for your bunnies though, if you think they are not ready to go. Sometimes a good discussion with the vets about what the rabbit wants can have a good outcome. Just do whatever you think is best for them and you won't go wrong. I do understand the dilemma about Sue too, but hope its not one you are going to have to deal with.

I've 'phoned twice today. Peggy hasn't had a dental as the vet didn't think she was strong enough to cope. She is on a heat pad and has had fluids, metacam and baytril. She is a bit brighter. I could have had her home but he wanted to see her first thing in the morning for the dental and I am on-call tonight.

I would have taken her to work with me but thought taking her from the vet home and then out to work and then home and then to the vet again in the morning would be too much hot/cold for her. If she didn't have Sue with her I would have had her home but she has and I have been reassured (I asked three times) that there is a member of staff there all night.

She isn't eating at all so will be syringe fed.

The vet said he thinks she just got too cold:( I feel awful but she does have a snuggly sleeping compartment with litter tray and hay and she chose to be in the more open part of her hutch. Sue was fine and she is the poorly one. He also thinks her arthritis may be stopping her cleaning herself so she will be on metacam now for the rest of her life (is it any cheaper on-line does anyone know?)

The vet said Peggy is better than she was and sounds a bit more hopeful. I have been useless at work today. I may be made redundant so I didn't dare risk not going in. I hope Peggy doesn't feel abandoned.

I am to go in at 3.30 pm tomorrow but I will 'phone first thing to see how she is (I don't care if they get fed-up with me!).

Keep the vibes coming please. Peggy isn't ready for the Bridge yet - I know she isn't. I want her and Sue to have another summer when they can binky in the garden and sunbathe.

Sorry she's poorly.

Your vet sounds mean. I think owners usually know when it's time to let a bun go. Don't do it unless YOU feel it's right.

Sending vibes for buns and hugs to you.

xxx

Generally, I think he's a good vet but he did intimate I should have Sue PTS some months ago and was amazed when she put on weight. She has sadly lost it again now but is still not quite ready to go to the Bridge.

It worries me as I know I am not objective where my fur family are concerned and in the past think I may have kept them alive for longer than I should have done. When I first saw Peggy this morning I thought she was dead as she was so unresponsive. If she hadn't improved I would have agreed to have her PTS then but after her bottom bath and being rubbed in a towel and given cuddles and kisses she definitely perked up. She showed an interest in Sue and me too.

All the time she wants to fight - I am going to give her that chance. Hopefully, my vet will respect that. He did with Sue. If he doesn't, I will find another vet. I won't agree to anything as final as euthenasia if I don't believe it is for the best for my bun (or any other animal). Quite how I am going to pay for the treatment I am not sure but will borrow off friends if I have to.

I'm looking out some stuff to try and sell on e-bay too which should help.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Me too. I feel bad now about not having her home and if I don't get called in I will feel even worst. I just didn't want to drag her into work with me. I'd have had to have hidden her too (I work in a unit where men and women are taken after they have been raped). I guess she is safe and warm where she is and if she becomes worst she can get immediate care.

Am not on-call tomorrow night or working in the day Saturday so will be able to look after her properly then. I guess she may have to stay indoors for a while. She won't like that much.

Am just really glad Sue is with her. They are a devoted couple. The vet said Sue was nomming away happily. I doubt she has been given bread and oats and hope he has remembered she is on a low calcium diet. Something to tell them when I 'phone in the morning. They think I am a over anxious Bunny Mummy already!!!! I looked a right state when I went in this morning with dripping wet hair and no make-up.

Will send Peggy some reiki - at least I will feel I am doing something for her.

Thank you all for your support. I know you all understand how I feel. My friends don't:(

I think you did the right thing leaving them at the Vets. Sods law dictates that had you not done so you would be called into work.

Being settled together in one place all night is much better than potentially being moved about several times. They have each other and there is staff on duty all night so try not to fret too much xx

Sending Peggy lots of vibes.

I agree with Jane that she is in the best place at the moment. I really hope she improves overnight.

Thanks Jane and Bunny Babe. I just worry Peggy and Sue will think I've abandoned them or that I don't love them any more. They don't understand when I go to work - to them, I am just disappearing (although as they get their noms first they never seem too bothered:D)

It was horrible giving the others their supper and seeing the empty hutch:( Hopefully, this time tomorrow Peggy and Sue will be back home where they belong.

The vet suggested they stay there when I said I was on-call as he wanted to see Peggy first thing anyway so he can decide whether she is strong enough for a dental or not.

Even though they are outside bunnies, it's horrible being without them. The cages at the vet are a good size though (I made sure I checked the first time I had to leave a bun there).

They are warm and safe and have medical help nearby and each other. I know in my head it's OK - but my heart is struggling a bit:oops:

Thanks Jane and Bunny Babe. I just worry Peggy and Sue will think I've abandoned them or that I don't love them any more. They don't understand when I go to work - to them, I am just disappearing (although as they get their noms first they never seem too bothered:D)

It was horrible giving the others their supper and seeing the empty hutch:( Hopefully, this time tomorrow Peggy and Sue will be back home where they belong.

The vet suggested they stay there when I said I was on-call as he wanted to see Peggy first thing anyway so he can decide whether she is strong enough for a dental or not.

Even though they are outside bunnies, it's horrible being without them. The cages at the vet are a good size though (I made sure I checked the first time I had to leave a bun there).

They are warm and safe and have medical help nearby and each other. I know in my head it's OK - but my heart is struggling a bit:oops:

See, you know they are in the best place. Hugs to you.

You're doing all the right things, even if your conscience tells you differently. I truly hope there is some positive news in the morning.

So do I. It's amazing how much little furry buns can binky their way into our hearts. I was giving Peggy a huge cuddle at the vet and telling her to fight to get all better. I think the vet thought I was totally mad:oops:

Haven't been called in yet so will go to bed early and then the morning will come quicker when I can 'phone and see how they both are.

Thank you everyone for your support.

It isn't good news this morning. I 'phoned to see how she was and the vet had wanted a word with me. She deteriorated about 3.00 am and was hunched up again (like I found her yesterday). He thinks it may be because the metacam was wearing off so gave her some more. I am pleased I left her there now as she got what she needed quickly. I thought a nurse was left overnight but it sounded like it was actually the vet hiimself, so I know she was better off there than at home with me.

He no longer thinks it's her teeth but her back legs and that she has arthritis which is why she stopped cleaning herself. He wants to monitor her again today and they will continue syringe feeding her. He said she had started eating by herself yesterday. I am going to take some of her own food in and try and find some spring greens for her too.

I don't want her to suffer though and am beginning to think it may be kinder to have her PTS:( Having said that I have arthritis and although it's painful at times I wouldn't want to be PTS.

I really don't know what to do for the best. I have to think of poor Sue too. She adores Peggy and isn't well enough to cope with the stress of being bonded with any of my other pairs or group and I can't afford to rehome another bun at the moment.

Please keep the vibes coming.

Back