• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny Poo

id say that depends on how running. my rabbit had a bit of runny poo a while ago. but eventually got better. i only gave him water and hay until it had harded a bit and then i gave him back his pellets.

How runny? Is it watery? If so then yes they need a vet quickly. If squidgy then a vet trip is also a good idea to rule out dental issues and if no dental issues then their diet probably needs tweaking.

Hi all

Just cleaned the rabbits out and noticed they have runny poo in the hutch. is this anything to worry about.

Hello :wave:

Is it runny poo, or does it look like a lot of tiny little grapes stuck together?

I know that may sound disgusting, but its important :)

Hello :wave:

Is it runny poo, or does it look like a lot of tiny little grapes stuck together?

I know that may sound disgusting, but its important :)

i'd say it more like this tbh than runny. just never seen anything like this so not sure if i should be worried or not.

i'd say it more like this tbh than runny. just never seen anything like this so not sure if i should be worried or not.

Okay, they are caecotrophs, which is a type of bunny poop that they eat to stay healthy as it contains nutrients they can't take in the first time round.

Lots of these normally mean a few things;

Poor Diet (Please let us know what she eats)
Bad Teeth

Or a few other things, which i can't remember right now!

Can you let us know if she eats much hay?

i've just changed their diet (bonded pair) as they used to have hay (not sure how much they ate before) and a full bowl of pellets a day.

They now have a couple of handfuls in a morning, then greens at about lunchtime with hay topped up. i make sure they always have hay in the hutch and they have a hay rack and ball with hay in as well. then at night time i give them some more pellets.

hope this is ok for their diet.

Sounds about right although maybe a few too many pellets. How much pellets are you giving them? Most rabbits need about two tablespoons.

i've just changed their diet (bonded pair) as they used to have hay (not sure how much they ate before) and a full bowl of pellets a day.

They now have a couple of handfuls in a morning, then greens at about lunchtime with hay topped up. i make sure they always have hay in the hutch and they have a hay rack and ball with hay in as well. then at night time i give them some more pellets.

hope this is ok for their diet.

Okay, i'm going to go for diet then.

How many greens do they get? When you say 'couple of handfuls' can you count 'roughly' how many pellets that is?

I would guess they are getting something that has upset their tummys :wave:

Cut back on veg/pellets to encourage more hay to be munched :)

Is it only one bun with excess caecs?

Okay, i'm going to go for diet then.

How many greens do they get? When you say 'couple of handfuls' can you count 'roughly' how many pellets that is?

I would guess they are getting something that has upset their tummys :wave:

Cut back on veg/pellets to encourage more hay to be munched :)

Is it only one bun with excess caecs?

i could probably roughly count how many pellets but not actually tried counting.

they only get one bit of veg a day atm as been trying to find which ones they like so not sure if it is this. they didn't get any veg yesterday as got none in for them but she was fine yesterday.

it is only the one bun that is like it. I have 5 atm. only one bonded pair atm tho. i know which one it is has i had to clean her bottom as she's got a little stuck to her.

i could probably roughly count how many pellets but not actually tried counting.

they only get one bit of veg a day atm as been trying to find which ones they like so not sure if it is this. they didn't get any veg yesterday as got none in for them but she was fine yesterday.

it is only the one bun that is like it. I have 5 atm. only one bonded pair atm tho. i know which one it is has i had to clean her bottom as she's got a little stuck to her.

I'd cut back on pellets slightly, dont give the veg she had last for 5 days and feed lots of hay.

In 5 days, try another item of veg, leave for 2 days, then try again to see how her tummy accepts it.

Oh and what veg do you give them? Do you give a lot of carrot by any chance?

they have recently had brocolli, celery and baby sweetcorn but didnt have anything yesterday. dont really feed them carrots tbh.

i was in the process of using the safe food list to see which ones they all like. but only feeding them every other day or so to see how they got on. they only really get fed as treats as i prefer them to eat the hay.

Baby corn is quite sugary. The reason I ask if one of my rabbits has a tendency to a sticky bottom too. Sugary foods set her off, so baby corn, pea pods, carrots and fruit all have to be very rare treats. I mainly stick now to herbs, parsley, basil, coriander, mint, rocket and the odd bit of kale and carrot tops.

Baby corn is quite sugary. The reason I ask if one of my rabbits has a tendency to a sticky bottom too. Sugary foods set her off, so baby corn, pea pods, carrots and fruit all have to be very rare treats. I mainly stick now to herbs, parsley, basil, coriander, mint, rocket and the odd bit of kale and carrot tops.

i only fed babycorn as it was on the RWAF safe list to feed. why is it just the one bun like it as all 5 buns had the same veg.

Well as in people, bunnies are different. Some people have issues with some foods, some bunnies have issues with some foods. I could feed several baby corns to my other three bunnies with no problems but more than half for Mini and we get excess sticky poos. Likewise some bunnies will have issues with excess calcium so their owners have to be careful not to give too much veg high in calcium. The safe list is a guide but sometimes these things need tweaking.

thanks for all your advice i will cut down on pellets and leave veg out for about 5 days and see how she goes. hopefully she will be ok.

Back