• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much to feed?

Alicia

Mama Doe
Sorry for so many questions. I want to feed my rabbits Wagg Optimum pellets because I'd like a pellet food and I can easily get it, but how much pellet food should I feed them a day? I know that vegetables and hay are more important, so I don't want to feed them too much pellet food but how much is the right amount?

I don't know about Wagg I feed Science Selectives with Chudleys Rabbit Royale - what I do know is that all the pelleted foods should have a guide on the packet - you use your own judgement as with dogs etc in terms of how active your rabbit is and how much other foods like spring greens, herbs etc they are eating - I think a very general guide is body size in hay 80% of daily diet thehayexperts.co.uk do a great selection of hay's to keep variety in the diet, 10% fresh washed dark leafy veg ideally although the RWA have a very comprehensive list I'll post it in a minute and 10% good quality pellet to ensure fibre and teeth burring.:wave:

Vegetables:
• Artichoke leaves
• Asparagus
• Baby Sweetcorns (but not full size ones)
• Beetroot (care with leafy tops as high levels of oxalic acid)
• Broccoli (and its leaves, including purple sprouting varieties)
• Brussel Sprouts (leaves and sprouts)
• Cabbage (can sometimes cause digestive upsets)
• Carrots (and carrot tops) – the roots should be limited as they are high in sugars
• Cauliflower (and the leaves)
• Celeriac
• Celery (and its leaves)
• Chicory
• Courgette (and flowers)
• Cucumber
• Curly Kale
• Fennel
• Green beans
• Kohl rabi
• Parsnip
• Peas (including the leaves and pods)
• Peppers (red, green and yellow)
• Pumpkin
• Radish Tops
• Rocket
• Romaine lettuce (not Iceberg or light coloured leaf)
• Spinach (only occasional)
• Spring Greens
• Squash (e.g. Butternut)
• Swede
• Turnip (only occasional)
• Watercress

Herbs (often powerful tastes so may take some getting used to):
• Basil
• Coriander
• Dill
• Mint (peppermint)
• Parsley
• Oregano
• Rosemary
• Sage
• Thyme

Fruits (should be fed in moderation, due to sugar content – up to 2 tablespoons worth per day):

Apple
• Apricot
• Banana (high in potassium)
• Blackberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Blueberries
• Cherries
• Grapes
• Kiwi Fruit
• Mango
• Melon
• Nectarines
• Oranges (not the peel)
• Papaya
• Peaches
• Pears
• Pineapple
• Plums
• Raspberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Strawberries (and leaves)
• Tomatoes (not the leaves)
Wild Garden Herbs/Weeds/Flowers:
• Borage
• Calendula
• Camomile
• Chickweed (astringent)
• Clover (leaves and flowers)
• Coltsfoot
• Comfrey
• Dandelion (diuretic properties)
• Goosegrass (cleavers) but may stick to coat!
• Lavender
• Mallow
• Nettle
• Nasturtium (leaves and flowers)
• Shepherd’s purse
• Sow Thistle
• Plantain
• Yarrow

Last edited:
Wow! What an excellent list! Thank you. So useful :)

I don't know about Wagg I feed Science Selectives with Chudleys Rabbit Royale - what I do know is that all the pelleted foods should have a guide on the packet - you use your own judgement as with dogs etc in terms of how active your rabbit is and how much other foods like spring greens, herbs etc they are eating - I think a very general guide is body size in hay 80% of daily diet thehayexperts.co.uk do a great selection of hay's to keep variety in the diet, 10% fresh washed dark leafy veg ideally although the RWA have a very comprehensive list I'll post it in a minute and 10% good quality pellet to ensure fibre and teeth burring.:wave:

Vegetables:
• Artichoke leaves
• Asparagus
• Baby Sweetcorns (but not full size ones)
• Beetroot (care with leafy tops as high levels of oxalic acid)
• Broccoli (and its leaves, including purple sprouting varieties)
• Brussel Sprouts (leaves and sprouts)
• Cabbage (can sometimes cause digestive upsets)
• Carrots (and carrot tops) – the roots should be limited as they are high in sugars
• Cauliflower (and the leaves)
• Celeriac
• Celery (and its leaves)
• Chicory
• Courgette (and flowers)
• Cucumber
• Curly Kale
• Fennel
• Green beans
• Kohl rabi
• Parsnip
• Peas (including the leaves and pods)
• Peppers (red, green and yellow)
• Pumpkin
• Radish Tops
• Rocket
• Romaine lettuce (not Iceberg or light coloured leaf)
• Spinach (only occasional)
• Spring Greens
• Squash (e.g. Butternut)
• Swede
• Turnip (only occasional)
• Watercress

Herbs (often powerful tastes so may take some getting used to):
• Basil
• Coriander
• Dill
• Mint (peppermint)
• Parsley
• Oregano
• Rosemary
• Sage
• Thyme

Fruits (should be fed in moderation, due to sugar content – up to 2 tablespoons worth per day):

Apple
• Apricot
• Banana (high in potassium)
• Blackberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Blueberries
• Cherries
• Grapes
• Kiwi Fruit
• Mango
• Melon
• Nectarines
• Oranges (not the peel)
• Papaya
• Peaches
• Pears
• Pineapple
• Plums
• Raspberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Strawberries (and leaves)
• Tomatoes (not the leaves)
Wild Garden Herbs/Weeds/Flowers:
• Borage
• Calendula
• Camomile
• Chickweed (astringent)
• Clover (leaves and flowers)
• Coltsfoot
• Comfrey
• Dandelion (diuretic properties)
• Goosegrass (cleavers) but may stick to coat!
• Lavender
• Mallow
• Nettle
• Nasturtium (leaves and flowers)
• Shepherd’s purse
• Sow Thistle
• Plantain
• Yarrow

:wave:It's good isn't it, always best to introduce things in moderation to limit upsetting tummies though - glad it's helped - I'm sure if you can't fathom the instructions on the packet eg if it's based on weight etc and your not sure, try measuring an amount to the size of the buns head, providing your bunny is getting a good amount of fresh hay daily and some greens then that wouldn't be too far out. Another good one is dried dandelion and plantain, the hayexperts sell them and the famous Fenugreek crunchie treats too.

Obviously different feeds will have different guideline amounts but I think with pellets less is better. I use Excel and mine get an egg cupful a day each bun split between breakfast and tea. This may be less than it says on the bag but I think it is enough as I want them to eat lots of hay.

He's 3 and has been eating it most of his life. He's a very picky eater and I like them to have a couple of hard vegs to gnaw on!! He'll go in when it's bed time just for his sweet potatoe, infact he's even been known to grab it in his teeth and run straight back out again! Lol

He's never had any health probs until recently when he's had cystitis infection and he's hopefully picking back up from that now fingers crossed.

I'm sure I checked a could of websites first before I gave it him. Can't remember which one though! Doh...some say yay and some say no to it, but I hear it a lot with kale, brocolli etc so I'd say as a treat...if they like it with no adverse effects no problamo

Last edited:
He's 3 and has been eating it most of his life. He's a very picky eater and I like them to have a couple of hard vegs to gnaw on!! He'll go in when it's bed time just for his sweet potatoe, infact he's even been known to grab it in his teeth and run straight back out again! Lol

He's never had any health probs until recently when he's had cystitis infection and he's hopefully picking back up from that now fingers crossed.

I'm sure I checked a could of websites first before I gave it him. Can't remember which one though! Doh...some say yay and some say no to it, but I hear it a lot with kale, brocolli etc so I'd say as a treat...if they like it with no adverse effects no problamo

To be honest I've not heard of it before and it's not on the RWA safe list so I'd avoid it, there's sufficient definate safe options and I'd be inclined to stick to them, I take your point that a small piece now and then in your experience is OK but, generally I don't think it's recommended.:wave:

Obviously different feeds will have different guideline amounts but I think with pellets less is better. I use Excel and mine get an egg cupful a day each bun split between breakfast and tea. This may be less than it says on the bag but I think it is enough as I want them to eat lots of hay.

:wave:

Back