• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post dental foods

weedug

Mama Doe
Honey goes for a dental on Wednesday, and is getting spayed at the same time.

I need some ideas for foods for her for afterwards. Normally after a spay I would just offer her any favourites, but with the dental too is she better to have soft foods, like baby foods?

She has a spur on her back tooth which is starting to graze her cheek.

I would maybe offer a variety of options some soft some not and see what she picks. She will still need fibre in her diet to keep things 'moving'

You can make her normal pellet feed soft by soaking it in boiled water.
You can get some Critical Care from the Vet
Then there is always grated carrot :)

i just put out all their normal food - i always wait until there's been plenty of hay munching too before the fenugreek crunchies come out:D such a cruel mummeh;)

After a dental Peter never used to eat pellets for a couple of days. He had critical care (mixed with organic apple and pear baby food) and water to begin. I tempted him with grated carrot and small cucumber chunks. He also liked his favourite yoghurt drops.

:wave: Thanks.

I think I should just stock up on anything I can think of, and then there might be something that she'll eat. If she doesn't want it, I'm sure the other buns will eat it :lol:. I can always make purees with it.

Is it just the plain fruit and veg baby foods that are suitable?

When Heather has her dentals she just noms her pellets as usual! Dhocked me the first time she did it, I was all prepared with grated veg and was going to soke the pellets in water to make them soggy for her but she just dived for them as soon as I got them out, she is an odd rabbit :roll:

Back