• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Caring for a bunny that can't clean itself?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Can anyone give me any good tips or procedures on caring for a bunny that can't clean itself very well.

Ava is struggling to clean her back end even though she has been shaved and bathed.

How often should i bath her, how often should i apply sudocream. Is there anything else i can do for her.

Thanks.

One of mine is wearing a collar at the moment and has the same problem. Be intrested to know if you can you cream, is this on a wound?

I try and take collar off for a while and supervise while he cleans so he dont go at wound, its not really wound he is chewing his fur away where it is un even so got to try and keep him couped up until then.

Mine likes a little tickle and if I wet his brush slightly and give him a clean he likes that.

Sure someone else has more tips and tricks.

How often you bathe her rear end really depends on how mucky she gets during the course of a day.

What to you bed her on ? Vetbed and towels would be best.

Thanks Elliot&Mitzeee, Ava has been licking off her sudocream too but the vet didn't say anything about this not being okay. Infact they were just happy she was cleaning, so i doubt it can do too much harm.

Jane Thankyou for the advice. I currently use ecobed. The vet said this is fine as it's soft enough.

Every time she toliets, it goes on her skin, it doesn't direct properly because of the way she is deformed. I am doing once daily at the moment, because i don't want to irritate the infection too much. I don't know if you can bath too much.

I think you can cream the wound as long as the infection is being treated. I'm only talking about a closed wound, not open though.

I'm using towels to dry her off with once I've bathed her. I'm not doing anything else to dry her back end. Hope this is enough.

When my Inca was really bad with wetting herself, i cleaned her twice a day with dilute iodine and i applied cream.

I also got some aloe vera spray which was recommended by Jacks Jane, I used this and it seemed to soothe her a bit. It was quite good as it sprayed on and didnt involve any rubbing of her skin.
This is the spray http://www.mypetmegastore.com/pems/mia/d/aloe+veterinary+formula+473ml/pid/11833407?afid=88888

I would also make sure you dont rub her skin when drying as towels can be rough, just a light pat dry. x

I also used to pat Inca with a towel throughout the day, it didnt clean her, but took some of the wetness away from her skin & fur

When my Inca was really bad with wetting herself, i cleaned her twice a day with dilute iodine and i applied cream.

I also got some aloe vera spray which was recommended by Jacks Jane, I used this and it seemed to soothe her a bit. It was quite good as it sprayed on and didnt involve any rubbing of her skin.
This is the spray http://www.mypetmegastore.com/pems/mia/d/aloe+veterinary+formula+473ml/pid/11833407?afid=88888

I would also make sure you dont rub her skin when drying as towels can be rough, just a light pat dry. x

I also used to pat Inca with a towel throughout the day, it didnt clean her, but took some of the wetness away from her skin & fur

Thankyou for your help as always :) I will get some of the spray too. I finally managed to get her antibiotics in her mouth today, it's difficult as i can't do it as i normally would because she is so deformed and has funny nerve reactions if i hold her in certain ways. Instead i held her on the table upright and she was ever so good really accepting the antibiotics. Bathing is not too bad. I can only do it for so long before she gets stressed though. I'm putting sudocream on as a barrier before i bath her and after. I hope this is the right way of doing it :)

Hope your buns are okay today x

I would just put the cream on after bathing, as before would only stop the area from being cleaned properly.

Can you give her abx in food? I slit a mange tout or sugar snap pea and put the baytril in that?

Back