• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can I use instead of Straw for a nest?

Honeybean

Warren Scout
My bun loved his straw and made a nest in his bedroom, which he has been snuggling in through this nasty weather as he hasn't got a wife just yet.

I think the straw irritated his skin as he rubbed his back raw and pulled all his hair out whilst he had the straw in his bedroom.

He doesn't appear to have fleas as I have not noticed any flea dirt on his white fur. I wonder whether straw has mites.

Anyway, I bought some wool paper stuff which I had hoped he would make a nest with. But of course he doesn't like it one bit and refuses to make a nest with it and just sits on it and kicks it about and generally seems quite annoyed with it! :shock:

Has anyone got any suggestions of what I can use as an alternative to make a nest? I think the stuff he doesn't like is called Petsafe wool paper.

Thanks
Kim

Could you just use lots of hay? I know it isn't quite as insulating as straw, but it might be ok if you use lots of it, plus it won't irritate him as much.

If the cold gets really bad, maybe you can get him a snugglesafe/brick in an oven? I don't have an outdoor bun, so maybe someone else will have a better idea...

Could you just use lots of hay? I know it isn't quite as insulating as straw, but it might be ok if you use lots of it, plus it won't irritate him as much.

If the cold gets really bad, maybe you can get him a snugglesafe/brick in an oven? I don't have an outdoor bun, so maybe someone else will have a better idea...

I do heat up a brick when it gets cold for him. Its just he loved his nest. I might see if there is such a thing as sanitized straw incase there were mites in his straw.

He has had hay in his bedroom before and he just sat on it!!:roll:

You say that you rabbit has rubbed himself raw.

Can I ask where the wound is and if he has had any injections / vaccinations in the past 3 months.

You say that you rabbit has rubbed himself raw.

Can I ask where the wound is and if he has had any injections / vaccinations in the past 3 months.

He rubbed himself raw on his shoulder/back of neck area. Would that be the area for injections?

He has had both vaccinations in Oct/Nov and was also neutered in Nov. Would this have some bearing?

Back