• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Extra warmth for winter?

Rex Rabbity

Warren Scout
Each winter I bring Flopsy from his large garden hutch and built in run at my mums to our shed to give him some shelter from the worst of the winter cold. The shed is only 8x6 and poor Flopsy has to live in one of those large 'pets at home' bird cage things over winter. We do let him run around in the garden every day and bring him into the house if the weather is bad. We have put a large towel over his cage, but with the current cold weather, even his water is freezing over. Is there anything else we can do to keep him warm? Bringing him into the house is unfortunately not an option :(

Last edited:
Each winter I bring Flopsy from his large garden hutch and built in run at my mums to our shed to give him some shelter from the worst of the winter cold. The shed is only 8x6 and poor Flopsy has to live in one of those large 'pets at home' bird cage things over winter. We do let him run around in the garden every day and bring him into the house if the weather is bad. We have put a large towel over his cage, but with the current cold weather, even his water is freezing over. Is there anything else we can do to keep him warm? Bringing him into the house is unfortunately not an option :(

what do you mean a bird cage? :?

why do you move him?
mine are out in their kennel/run all year.
i just make sure theres more straw hay in their sleeping area when its colder.

sorry i meant to say about bringing him in.........the temp change is too dangerous to bring him in and out......he should be one or the other. :wave:

Do you use a bottle or a bowl?

If bottle try a bottle cover, may help it not freeze.
If a bowl some put a snugglesafe under the bowl and it helps it to not freeze, also using slightly warmer water helps.

Can you not use the shed as a permanent accommodation for him instead of a cage? Be aware that foxes are out during the day so when in the garden he needs watching.

To be honest, if his hutch is well built (no draughts) I think he would be better in there with lots of hay and straw than in a cage in a shed. They really need to be kept out of the wind and an open cage just isn't warm enough. At least in the hutch he's have the option to hide in his bedroom and snuggle in the straw.

If you would prefer to keep him in the shed, you could block the sides with cardboard or plywood, put plenty of straw, old towels and fleece in the cage, and invest in a snugglesafe - a hot water bottle for animals which is chew-proof! For the water bowl, you can do as Schuette suggested and put a snugglesafe under it, or float a ball in it. Obviously one too big to swallow, it will bob about and stop the water from freezing over.

If you do decide to keep him outside, please don't worry about it, as long as he has plenty of hay and straw he will be nice and snuggly. Lots of rabbits live outdoors during the winter and do just fine. :wave:

Back