• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with Stasis

Hi, my rabbit Pie is unwell, we went to the vet tonight and she has Stasis for the second time :(. He gave her fluid therapy and laxatives but since she's been home there's been no poop.

Since getting home she also has what looks like a sack (potentially of the liquid from the therapy?), it's kind of hanging on her side by her front leg. Does anyone know what this might be? I have the night and half the day tomorrow before I can see the vet again and am starting to worry as I have no one to contact to find out if this is normal or not?

Any help much appreciated.

Hi, my rabbit Pie is unwell, we went to the vet tonight and she has Stasis for the second time :(. He gave her fluid therapy and laxatives but since she's been home there's been no poop.

Since getting home she also has what looks like a sack (potentially of the liquid from the therapy?), it's kind of hanging on her side by her front leg. Does anyone know what this might be? I have the night and half the day tomorrow before I can see the vet again and am starting to worry as I have no one to contact to find out if this is normal or not?

Any help much appreciated.

Has she had painkillers? Also has she eaten yet? Did they give you any liquid food for her?

Was the 'sack' there when you were at the vets? I would try and get back tomorrow morning if you can. In the meantime try and keep bun warm

She had fluids under her skin?
Then this could be the fluid. It takes time to be absorbed by the body. With my bun it took almost a hour to absorb. He had a stiasis for 3 weeks.

I gave my bun al lot of exersise to stimulate the digestion. In combination of stimulating medicine and anti-gas fluids.

Don't give up, keep faith!

when Alvin was given fluids they told me he would probably have a lump where it was sitting until his body absorbed it so i think the sack will just be that and should slowly go down.

it has taken up to 8 hours after eating before ive seen poops during stasis, as long as food is going in at some point your bunny will poop.

if there wasnt pain killers given then i think you will probably need to see the vet again tonight before it becomes an emergency, Alvin has never started eating while his tummy has been hurting :(

loads and loads of vibes xxxxxx

Thanks so much for all the speedy responses. I did think it might be the fluid still under the skin, it wasn't there til we got back. She was given pain killer at the vet but won't eat much other than the odd piece of hay.

Vet doesn't open again til 2pm tomorrow so will take her down then and just give her as much attention as I can before then.

Thanks again.

When any of mine had fluids under the skin (SUB-Q I think?) it was absorbed pretty quick:?

Is Pie indoors to keep warm?

Have you tried tempting Pie with favorite foods, anything she likes.

Pain killers are a must with GI stasis. Usually an injection and then pain meds to give when home. (Orally.)

Has it been established what is causing GI stasis? Have you given any new foods? It is usually a sign of something else going on with a rabbit.

Good luck and please please keep us informed of how you and Pie get on.

Tones of vibes.

Pain relief is an essential

Did the Vet administer any ?

Where you advised to give syringe feeds ?

What medication were you given to administer over the next 24 hours ?

Did the Vet check your Rabbit's teeth ?

sounds like she has had all the meds she can.. its now up to her to find her appetite again, i guess you know tempt her with all her fave treats.

everything crossed here for you both xx

Thanks so much for all the speedy responses. I did think it might be the fluid still under the skin, it wasn't there til we got back. She was given pain killer at the vet but won't eat much other than the odd piece of hay.

Vet doesn't open again til 2pm tomorrow so will take her down then and just give her as much attention as I can before then.

Thanks again.

Just keep poking her in the face with her favorite foods. Tickle her whiskers with it too.

Often they end up being so irritated by it they eat it just to make it go away.

Sounds mean, but trust me on this.

Just keep poking her in the face with her favorite foods. Tickle her whiskers with it too.

Often they end up being so irritated by it they eat it just to make it go away.

Sounds mean, but trust me on this.

this is so true, alvin will eat just to make me go away for a few hours :oops:

We have been given Baytril Oral to give twice daily and Liquid Paraffin BP to give four times daily.

She isn't tempted even by parsley at the moment but I will be persistent with it. She is an indoor bun so is nice and warm inside with us to keep her company.

She had an x-ray at the vets not sure the underlying cause but the build up in the intestine was pretty big.

Thanks again all, will keep you updated.

Hi, just wanted to post an update on Pie. She was much more lively this morning, started eating and pooping a bit too, she hasn't drunk much but then had the fluid therapy so was pumped full of liquid!

Vet was happy her tummy was much softer today but gave her more fluid and we need to run the course on the anti-biotics but she should power through.

I'm not sure she actually had Stasis or just the onset/beginning symptoms but it wasn't looking good at all yesterday, so still a bit cautious to say she's OK.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice on here, it's a lovely forum and great to see so many people who care so much about rabbits!

That's absolutely good news!!!
Well, maybe it was the beginning, but it didn't get worse because you acted so soon! I hope so fully recovers. And it's absolutely wise to finish the cure.
That's she's pooping is a fantastic sign of the digestion is working again.

Back