• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing.. Jake & Button

Razi

New Kit
Afternoon all,

First post here - seems to be one of the best places for swapping best practices for caring for rabbits? Wanted to introduce my two to you all..

To set the scene, my girlfriend and I have just moved in together to a new house that I've recently bought. Small one-bedroom house with it's own garden. When we moved in, my girlfriend was really eager to get a rabbit as she's never been able to have a pet of her own before. So I eventually relented, and after buying and building the hutch, I came home from work one day to meet Jake & Button (from Pets at Home). Apparently they had been brought up together as babies, and so it was recommended that they should be kept together. Both were sold as males.

However, as time goes on and as the days get colder, my girlfriend seems to have lost her enthusiasm - as she seemed to be imagining sunny days out on the grass playing with the rabbits in the lush green grass, rather than heading out in the cold and rain to keep them well fed. So this job has now fallen to me (and my working hours also suit this as I'm around more during the days).

Jake:
rabbit3.jpg

rabbit4.jpg

As you can see, Jake is a Rex and is definitely the lively one of the two. Very inquisitive! However, Jake really isn't happy being held yet and does tend to get upset when being held.

Button:
rabbit1.jpg

rabbit2.jpg

Button is a French Lop, and probably about twice the size of Jake now! On the initial visit to the vet, they weren't entirely sure of his sex as there was any clear genitalia obvious. However, on taking them a few weeks later for their Myxo vaccination, it was confirmed that Button is a boy. However, the testicles haven't descended enough to neuter just yet.

This is causing a bit of a problem, Jake is often chasing Button around and trying to bite away at Button's penis. We've had to separate them within the outdoor run to prevent this from happening, but it's not quite so easy to do within the hutch.

We've bought 2 of the medium sized runs to make a much larger run that can be easily moved around and modified, and has proved very helpful in keeping them separate when necessary.
rabbit5.jpg

The hutch is doing it's job, and we've got one of the spaceheaters over it to try and keep it as warm as possible during the cold weather.

rabbit6.jpg

I've got a litter box in the sleeping compartment (since this seemed to be the main place they went to the loo) and they do seem to be using this quite regularly. I'm a bit concerned that they never sleep up in the sheltered area at all - preferring instead to huddle together at the bottom of the ramp. Whether I fill the sleeping compartment up with hay, or leave it fairly bare, this seems to make no difference! I'm thinking that I shouldn't be too concerned, since they do have the option to move into the closed compartment if necessary?

Anyway, that's the brief history! If anyone can see anything that we might not be doing right, I'd appreciate any opinions! They are due at the vets this weekend for their second vaccination.

wow :love: beautiful buns

if i was use i would sack the shavings (they can release dangerous chemicals) in the hutch in favour of some other type of bedding i dont have outside buns so cannot suggest what to use perhaps just hay?

i use carefresh in my litter tray but it wont be cost effective throughout the whole hutches i dont think :wave:

Last edited:
Awwww, they are both gorgeous. :love:

Two males isn't the best combination in a bunny pairing unfortunately (not your fault - the pet shop staff should know this) and, as you've seen, they will often fight and will go for the genitals. :(

I've seen some nasty injuries posted on here as a result :cry: so I would strongly advise you to keep them completly seperate until they are both neutered. Then give them a few weeks for hormones to settle down before rebonding them.

It's quite normal for them to use the bedroom area as a toilet (all my bunnies have done so) and it's great that you have a litter tray in there. :thumb: Bunnies like to eat as they poo :mrgreen: so a layer of hay on top is a good idea too. :)

I've seen some nasty injuries posted on here as a result :cry: so I would strongly advise you to keep them completly seperate until they are both neutered. Then give them a few weeks for hormones to settle down before rebonding them.

It's quite normal for them to use the bedroom area as a toilet (all my bunnies have done so) and it's great that you have a litter tray in there. :thumb: Bunnies like to eat as they poo :mrgreen: so a layer of hay on top is a good idea too. :)

Yeah, we're definitely going to have them both neutured anyway - that's always been the intention. The problem is that Jake (the rex) would be OK to have this procedure done now, but Button (french lop) isn't quite ready. So it's quite a headache as to how to keep them separate within the hutch?

Do your rabbits actually sleep in the sleeping area though? They really just use it as a toilet rather than it's intended purpose!

if i was use i would sack the shavings (they can release dangerous chemicals) in the hutch in favour of some other type of bedding i dont have outside buns so cannot suggest what to use perhaps just hay?

i use carefresh in my litter tray but it wont be cost effective throughout the whole hutches i dont think :wave:

I use megazorb, which is a horse bedding that comes in huge sacks. It's only about £6.80 for a large bag and lasts ages.

I also want to add (sorry if it sounds as though all I'm doing is criticising, that's not my intention at all :oops: but you give the impression that you are dedicated to caring for your bunnies, and I didn't know half as much about bunnies as I thought I did before I joined) that they should also have hay to eat at all times, as this should form the bulk of their diet... it may well be that you have some in the hutch in the hidden area which I can't see from the photo.

Oooh and (last one from me I promise :oops:) I don't know if the petshop made you aware, but rexes are very prone to sore hocks as their fur is very fine (if you search the forum for the term, it should give lots of threads ;)). To prevent this, you can bed them on a very deep layer of hay, to provde cushioning for the feet and the threads on here will give you an idea of other preventative measures and signs to look for. ;)

Last edited:
Do your rabbits actually sleep in the sleeping area though? They really just use it as a toilet rather than it's intended purpose!

Nope, they never did sleep in it! I've moved them into a kennel and run now but when they were in a hutch/run combo they would always sleep in a corner of the downstairs run on cold concrete, even in winter. :roll: They do the same now in their new house - they don't huddle up in the kennel, they sit out in the run. Nutters! :lol::lol: But perfectly normal for bunnies. :lol:

I use megazorb, which is a horse bedding that comes in huge sacks. It's only about £6.80 for a large bag and lasts ages.

Do you use this throughout the hutch?

I also want to add (sorry if it sounds as though all I'm doing is criticising, that's not my intention at all :oops: but you give the impression that you are dedicated to caring for your bunnies, and I didn't know half as much about bunnies as I thought I did before I joined) that they should also have hay to eat at all times, as this should form the bulk of their diet... it may well be that you have some in the hutch in the hidden area which I can't see from the photo.

All criticism is welcome! As I say, I've read the books, but there's always things that I'm not quite sure if we're doing right or not. That's why I was hoping that joining this forum might give a few bits of info that the books don't cover! There's normally a healthy supply of hay in the sleeping area and the 'trough' down in the feeding section, but we ran out a couple of days ago so I've been putting fresh grass into the trough instead. Due to get a new bag full tonight! Incidentally, do you tend to use pre-packed hay from a pet store or the stuff from a market? Not sure what's best value for money, or whether any hay is 'better' than others?

Oooh and (last one from me I promise :oops:) I don't know if the petshop made you aware, but rexes are very prone to sore hocks as their fur is very fine (if you search the forum for the term, it should give lots of threads ;)). To prevent this, you can bed them on a very deep layer of hay, to provde cushioning for the feet. ;)

No, that wasn't mentioned. Thanks! Will try and get hold of that Megazorb, along with the new supply of hay tonight. Hopefully a combination of both should keep his feet healthy. :)

So it's quite a headache as to how to keep them separate within the hutch?

Me again. :oops: It's not ideal but could you remove the ramp/block the hole and have one up/one down for now? Ideally they need more space than that, but as it would only be for a few weeks and it's a necessity to keep them apart, that's what I would do I think.

Me again. :oops: It's not ideal but could you remove the ramp/block the hole and have one up/one down for now? Ideally they need more space than that, but as it would only be for a few weeks and it's a necessity to keep them apart, that's what I would do I think.

The one in the downstairs would need an enclosed space in there though! :wave::wave:

They're gorgeous bunnies! :love::love::love: I'm sure they're very well loved. Well done for taking over the responsibility! :D

Do you use this throughout the hutch?
Some do, I don't as the bunnies seemed to prefer a cold floor anyway. I just use megazorb in the litter trays (newspaper under the megazorb and hay on the very top)

Incidentally, do you tend to use pre-packed hay from a pet store or the stuff from a market? Not sure what's best value for money, or whether any hay is 'better' than others?

The best type of hay is the one that the bunnies will eat. Some are quite fussy. :lol: If you have any farm shops/horsey places nearby (who may also sell megazorb ;) ) you can buy it by the bale very cheaply. I get a massive bale of fresh-smelling timothy hay for £5; the buns love it and it lasts ages.

Bunnies seem to prefer long strands of hay and it's better for their teeth I feel - lots of the bagged hay seems to be very short strands (more like what I would call 'waste') and this isn't too popular with my two.

No, that wasn't mentioned. Thanks! Will try and get hold of that Megazorb, along with the new supply of hay tonight. Hopefully a combination of both should keep his feet healthy. :)

Hopefully his hocks will be fine, but it always helps to be aware of potential problems. :thumb:

Best of luck and I hope Buttons drops his plums soon. ;) :lol:

You were just being....thorough! :lol::lol:

Lol. I'll get my coat. :oops:

It'd be great if there was a thread for newbies.... "all you need to know about bunnies in a nutshell". It would have saved me weeks of thread trawling when I got Alfie.

Meant to say too that, for a lot of things, there are no rights or wrongs - people all have different preferred ways of doing things. :thumb: Obviously, things like feeding lots of hay are a given but plenty of the other stuff is personal choice and what works for you.

Welcome to the Forum :wave:
They are both beautiful rabbits but beware 'Males' can fight each other and when they do they go for the 'private parts' and can fight to the death, it's better really to have a neutered male and spayed female together. Two males can work sometimes but I'd be very wary.

i dont know if i am correct but button looks more like a dwarf lop then a french lop? or are they the same thing? Just interested :wave:

Last edited:
Back