• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My vet says i can feel around the outside of the mouth for spurs is this correct?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I just don't see how i would be able to tell? He didn't say when i should bring my dental buns back, just to check around there mouths and if i notice anything, bring them back.

Any advice would be appreciated on this one xx

iv never heard this but it could be he means if the teeth are spurred and pressing into the cheek then by gently pressing around the outside if your bun flinches or seems "uncomfortable" with what you are doing that ther is a need to check to see whats going on. short of regular check ups and knowing your dental buns symptoms of when teeth become an issue its difficult, with my dental bunnies we check them every 6 months with vaccs unless they go off their food, slobber or show any eye discharge etc etc. luckily both seem to currently be doing well.

Thanks. Some people talk about having dentals done every month. This is there first ever. They still have runny eyes. The vet said it's an unresolvable tear duct issue- they are not going to improve with flushing. So i've bonded my two dental buns together in the hope they will improve some :)

They are on baytril and steroid eye antibiotics at the moment. They are always on some kinds of meds these too. It never has really cleared up as such.

xx

I disagree that you can tell if a bun has spurs by feeling the outside of the mouth. Spurs cannot even be excluded by auroscopic examination of the mouth! My bun has his spurs on the tongue side of his molars, which is common!

I would say that you can tell if they have marked molar root elongation or a tooth root abscess that way, sometimes.

I would say that few buns need a dental every month. All depends on how fast the teeth wear down. Many buns only need a dental every 6 months or even longer!:)
However it would be wise to re examine the mouth a month after the 1st. dental
to assess how fast the teeth are growing. The trick is to avoid unecessary by doing dentals too frequently, yet getting them done before the spurs have cut the tongue or cheeks. ;)

My comments refer to molar spurs, not incisor elongation or malocclusion.

Thankyou for that info. He also used a pen to examine the teeth. I.e looked at the incisors, but didn't check in the mouth for spurs when i had my mixi vaccinations done. I have had vets at my practice check teeth properly. Have you ever seen a vet do this before? x

My bun's incisors are OK but that's obvious just from lifting the muzzle.

No I haven't heard of a vet examining the teeth with a pen alone. I have heard of vets slipping a finger in to feel for molar spurs on the cheek side. (Difficult to see with an auroscope) It strikes me as kind of hazardous for the vet! I guess a pen is less hazardous. The thing about molar spurs is that they are razor sharp. They really hurt very chew. [I know I broke a tooth once!] that's the reason why a bun stops eating with them. If they cause a sore in the mouth, that has to heal before the bun can eat comfortably.

My vet explained that in some cases you can "hear" it.. But I can't translate her explaination, I'm afraid.

Yet again TBH your vet sounds so naff:oops: Sorry.

There are so many diffrent angles to a buns teeth that it would be impossible to feel ALL sides of the teeth. And as Thumps said, they can occur on the inside of the teeth too, plus the ones right at the back that can only be inspected under GA.

I bet you cant wait till you move?:)

ETA Please dont try this:shock: Just had a feel of Feegal (dental bun) he honked and went mental:shock: Yoou could lose a finger:shock:

Last edited:
I disagree that you can tell if a bun has spurs by feeling the outside of the mouth. Spurs cannot even be excluded by auroscopic examination of the mouth! My bun has his spurs on the tongue side of his molars, which is common!

I would say that you can tell if they have marked molar root elongation or a tooth root abscess that way, sometimes.

I would say that few buns need a dental every month. All depends on how fast the teeth wear down. Many buns only need a dental every 6 months or even longer!:)
However it would be wise to re examine the mouth a month after the 1st. dental
to assess how fast the teeth are growing. The trick is to avoid unecessary by doing dentals too frequently, yet getting them done before the spurs have cut the tongue or cheeks. ;)

My comments refer to molar spurs, not incisor elongation or malocclusion.
sorry yes of course you cant tell for certain with an external examination but thought that the idea vet was meaning that could tell that way if it was seriously causing an issue, i would never rely on this method its nkowin your own bunnies and how fast and symtpoms tht is the key some rabbtis only need one dental and dietry wise can tehn manage it some need dentals very often i dont think my post previously was very clear. you do explan better

ETA Please dont try this:shock: Just had a feel of Feegal (dental bun) he honked and went mental:shock: Yoou could lose a finger:shock:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :thumb:

I want to try this with one of mine but have yet to pluck up the courage to do so.

I agree totally with thumps. Most of my bunnies spurs don't go into the cheeks, so feeling the cheeks is not indicative for those spurs, however, could be for some.

I think the best way to deal with spurs is know your bunny and their behaviour and the telltale signs they are struggling and the second anything changes, then to the vets.

You cannot fel if there are spurs as such, but you can feel if there are any lumps along the jaw line, which would indicate a problem. However, it would not necessarily mean that there was a problem AT THAT TIME. It would indicate that there is a tooth root problem and you would prob find that the bunny has/will suffer dental problems at some point in its life, also, possibly abscesses.

Back