• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What colour?

Indie22

Young Bun
Hi again, its been a while, so long i havn't even introduced these 2. A while ago I went to get a female rabbit to acompany my male netherland Jeff. The female he was with was agressive to him and didnt work out so the breeder offered to take her back and breed from her and I got a baby lop in return. Her name is Saphie and shes stunning, large for her age and related to 2 I have. Problem is I dont know what colour she is and the breeder is confused too. Heres a baby pic and now.

Photo0484.jpg

Photo0865.jpg

When we went to get her there was a little white lop really struggling, it was getting pushed away by its mum and the siblings were standing all over it, its legs splayed out when it sat down and walked and they felt slightly displace, It wasnt going to have a chance with its siblings around so we took it and called him zack, he has bonded with saphie and adores her, his legs are fine, regular exercise and jumping branches etc strengthened them up. He isnt the brightest button and seems to misjudge distance and bump into toys and stuff but hes really happy and well.

He was 2 weeks older than saphie here and half the size

Photo0527.jpg

Photo0851.jpg

We need to get zack re sexed though as my mum and I double checked and think its a she, it was so small at the time we weren't positive

Saphie is gorgeous and a vienna marked something. Possibly a lynx? I'm unsure but knowing the colour of her parents may help.

orange butterfly lop x dont know the colour of dad but lop . Thats all I know.
nuggets the same mum (nuggets in my sig)

She looks to be a non standard marked sealpoint to me (its hard to tell from photo's tho). I wouldn't have said vienna coz thats usually a white face/mark on the face or head on a darker colour. The markings look more blanket to me- blanket may be more likely of shes got a buterfly marked dad. She's is lovely and a bit of a rebel refusing to conform to a colour standard me thinks! :D

ETA VeeJay knows better than me so I'll stand corrected on the vienna thing! :lol::oops:

Last edited:
Shes one of the nicest rabbits ive seen but im biased. She has lost the blanket bit and blended together but her ears are getting spotty. she had a half face dark like her bum when she was young but that faded too.

Awww lovely little bunnies.:love: Sorry I don't know about colours but lots of people on here will. I would say you should take Zack to the vets to get his eyes checked just in case. Sometimes there can be birth defects with over-breeding. :)

S

ETA VeeJay knows better than me so I'll stand corrected on the vienna thing! :lol::oops:

:lol:
your right in that Vienna marked rabbits usually only have little bits of white, but this rabbit has blue eyes, and the only gene that can cause that kindof blue is the vienna gene.:)

My guess on beige is exactly that though:lol: not as clued up on those kindof colours as i really should be.

:lol:
your right in that Vienna marked rabbits usually only have little bits of white, but this rabbit has blue eyes, and the only gene that can cause that kindof blue is the vienna gene.:)

My guess on beige is exactly that though:lol: not as clued up on those kindof colours as i really should be.

*nods* There is a 'typical' vienna, however there are all sorts of funny mismarks about that are created by that gene.

Sounds like a really good breeder. Taking an aggressive rabbit back to breed from is really responsible of them NOT, shows how much they know or care about these things being hereditory. And I can vouch for the fact that the aggressive pregnant doe we adopted a few years back gave birth to babies who all inherited her traits. We kept them all the same as who wants an aggressive rabbit who is born that way. Being made so through bad experience can be fixed to an extent! Inherited aggression is harder to nurse them out of-especially for those who aren't dedicated to it. Sorry to put a bum note on your beautiful bun post, I just thought it worth mentioning that the breeder in question seriously needs educating!

The pale colours are so hard to judge on a computer- it looks pale grey to me, but then I have a *pink* coat about 10 people have told me is purple :lol:

Awww lovely little bunnies.:love: Sorry I don't know about colours but lots of people on here will. I would say you should take Zack to the vets to get his eyes checked just in case. Sometimes there can be birth defects with over-breeding. :)

he has been checked, no eye sight issues, its suspected there some mild neurological issues but nothing progressive. Basically hes just a special bunny. I didnt get attatched until I knew he was doing better but he walks perfect, put so much weight on and grown a lot albeit still small. Now I adore him....or her.

Sounds like a really good breeder. Taking an aggressive rabbit back to breed from is really responsible of them NOT, shows how much they know or care about these things being hereditory. And I can vouch for the fact that the aggressive pregnant doe we adopted a few years back gave birth to babies who all inherited her traits. We kept them all the same as who wants an aggressive rabbit who is born that way. Being made so through bad experience can be fixed to an extent! Inherited aggression is harder to nurse them out of-especially for those who aren't dedicated to it. Sorry to put a bum note on your beautiful bun post, I just thought it worth mentioning that the breeder in question seriously needs educating!

She was only agressive to my male rabbit, not me nor other rabbits but that would leave her alone and she isnt happy that way. Sorry if my post came accross different I was knackered writing it.

*nods* There is a 'typical' vienna, however there are all sorts of funny mismarks about that are created by that gene.

Sorry to hijack but is comet a typical vienna? I find this gene colour thing very confusing.

SDC10857.jpg

Shes stunning. Saphie and nugget have the same mum and the same blue eyes and I had a brother of them (rip) who had the same blue eyes, would they be the same then?

Shes stunning. Saphie and nugget have the same mum and the same blue eyes and I had a brother of them (rip) who had the same blue eyes, would they be the same then?

Blue eyes indicate the blue eyed white gene, so those bunnies will either be a full blue eyed white, or a vienna marked rabbit (although you can have vienna without the blue eyes)- i.e. with another colour other than white on them.

Blue eyes indicate the blue eyed white gene, so those bunnies will either be a full blue eyed white, or a vienna marked rabbit (although you can have vienna without the blue eyes)- i.e. with another colour other than white on them.

So would this be a marked vienna, same mum as the first rabbit

DSCF2218.jpg

Back