• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I keep my nose out?

Tiabrac

Alpha Buck
My eldest sons fiance told me that her mums neighbours have a bun in a tiny hutch down the garden which they don't bother to clean, it gets food thrown in when they remember she says that they have rats living in the garden under the hutch which her family have been putting traps down for.

I have asked her to check and let me know if things have changed or I will report it. The thing is I have reported shops before and nothing ever seems to get done. Hubby says I should keep my nose out I can't stop thinking of the poor little thing, it's probably riddled with fleas if there are rats under the hutch and that is probably only the tip of the ice-burg. :(

Its very very hard to keep your nose out when you know a living creature is suffering and you care about that living creature whether you know them or not.

You won't lose anything by calling, and you may even see some positive changes come about.

Another option might first be to anonymously educate them, maybe by posting info through their door and hope that maybe they are not deliberately neglecting, just that they are ignorant. Then call the RSPCA or whoever.

I would offer to take it in. It sounds like the poor bunny is a nuisance for them and they'd probably be pleased for it to go.

I put some info through someone's door due to a similar situation last week. I felt really weird about it after though, so not sure if I would do it again or not. Actually - I probably would, as I don't think I could just do nothing and leave the animal suffering, and at least that way there's a slim chance things might improve.

I do think it's an awkward situation though - offering to take it in is a fab idea if you can!

I would love to take it on but it would have to be in the garden as we have 3 house buns and don't have enough room indoors for more. We also have a:( dog and 2 cats as well. If it was in the garden I would feel awful for not letting it be indoors! But I know that it would have a better life with us. I have to do something as I am actually more upset by it than I ever thought I would be in this kind of position.

I would love to take it on but it would have to be in the garden as we have 3 house buns and don't have enough room indoors for more. We also have a:( dog and 2 cats as well. If it was in the garden I would feel awful for not letting it be indoors! But I know that it would have a better life with us. I have to do something as I am actually more upset by it than I ever thought I would be in this kind of position.

An outside bun who is well looked after is far happier than an outside bun who is neglected :)

definatly do something if you no about it, OR check yourself to see the conditions of the rabbit? A quick peep over the fence I'm sure wouldn't do any harm, then you could judge the situation yourself :) Always better to have your own opinion then to run off of some one elses, no matter how accurate it may be :) Good luck

I had something similar many years ago. One of my mental health clients told me about her neighbour's bunnies who were neglected. I was planning a bunny nap operation but when my client spoke to her neighbour she admitted being fed up with the bunnies and was happy for them to be rehomed - so I took them both.

They were both agoraphobic as they had never been out of a hutch:( but they soon got used to having more space. I kept them both outside but I am sure they were happier with me than they had been in their previous home.

My son knocked on the womans door last night and told her that I was looking for a rabbit did she know anyone who was rehoming? She told him that the RSPCA had been round get lost and shut the door on him! Well at least now she knows she has to clean up her act, we will be watching as well. I hope that she gets the message and that things improve long term.

Back