• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help please....

yvonne6156

New Kit
Sorry I am new to forums and computers so if this is in the wrong place apologies and any pointing in the right direction greatfully received!

I have a large male neutered rabbit who is from a rescue centre 3 years ago and he had been terribly abused by the other rabbits in the hutch where he had been found; his bonded partner died 3 months ago.

We offered to rehouse a friendss bunny to give him company; she is small and about 2 years old (not neutered) and I am not sure if their behaviour is normal.

In a neutral run, they both, eat drink and poo seperatly and continually circle each other, and both rise onto their hind legs at the same time; he chases her and visa versa; this lasts about an hour under supervision and they both look happy (not stressed)

If leave them and she launches on to his back and clamps her teeth onto whaterver she can get hold of, some times she even rears her back legs onto his face. Joseph then lies flat on the ground and wont move; he then spends the next few days in a corner cowering.

Its not fair on him and we dont know what to do? Any help would be gratefull.

Yvonne on behalf of Joseph and Buttons

:wave: Welcome to the forum.

First and foremost, you say your doe is unneutered? If so, completely give up on bonding until you have had her speyed. Her hormones will be raging and your poor neutered boy will not understand what she wants:lol::oops:

Have you a rabbit savvy vet, if not post on "rabbit chat" and someone will be able to help you:D

Sorry to hear his bonded partner died:( That must have been very sad:(

Good luck and hope to see some photoes soon:D

thank you for your reply and help; the female rabbit came from the vets assistant! she was moving into a flat and could not take her with her! oh well at least I now know:oops:

That's ok:wave: I cant believe how much I got wrong about buns, until I found this place:lol:

Lots of luck.

Sorry I am new to forums and computers so if this is in the wrong place apologies and any pointing in the right direction greatfully received!

I have a large male neutered rabbit who is from a rescue centre 3 years ago and he had been terribly abused by the other rabbits in the hutch where he had been found; his bonded partner died 3 months ago.

We offered to rehouse a friendss bunny to give him company; she is small and about 2 years old (not neutered) and I am not sure if their behaviour is normal.

In a neutral run, they both, eat drink and poo seperatly and continually circle each other, and both rise onto their hind legs at the same time; he chases her and visa versa; this lasts about an hour under supervision and they both look happy (not stressed)

If leave them and she launches on to his back and clamps her teeth onto whaterver she can get hold of, some times she even rears her back legs onto his face. Joseph then lies flat on the ground and wont move; he then spends the next few days in a corner cowering.

Its not fair on him and we dont know what to do? Any help would be gratefull.

Yvonne on behalf of Joseph and Buttons

i think you should bring him to the veterinarian. Perhaps, pets are very important to us, so i think that's the best way.. And i'm sure, you'll be glad to the result:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would start off by arranging to get the female neutered, after she has been neutered 4 weeks, on neutral territory in a confined space I would consider bonding the bunnies together.

Back