• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

carpet for outdoor hutches

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I've noticed a few people using carpet pieces/tiles or doormats in hutches, and have cut a mat down to size for a bit of my outdoor hutch. My bunny spends a lot of time sitting in his under-run, and as it's not exactly the cosiets bit I thoght he could do with something extra. I tried cardboard, which worked until he decided to shred it. I've covered the mat with hay and straw. Anyone else done somthing similar for a hutch bunny?

My playhouses are carpeted. It works for one pair of bunnies, but the other pair I am not so sure as one of my rabbits has been peeing on the carpet. I might have to get rid of the carpet in there. Not sure what I will put back in yet.

I leave some of the floor bare, and put down carpet squares on some areas (50p each from a carpet store out of their old sample books)

That way if they pee on one of them I can take that piece out to wash and pop another in it's place. Then I just chuck them if they get totally yukky.

Last edited:
The mat I bought was 99p from Morrisons. I'm not worried about peeing, as it is so unlikely to happen (says she tempting fate:lol:). It's potential nibbling that worries me. I hadn't thought of the carpet squares being washable though, so that is a good idea. I'm a bit dim with practical things - too many years hanging about university. :roll::roll:

I have carpet after getting rid of the sawdust, but my little tyke has taken to digging / ripping it apart!!

Back