• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Patch is panting- what's this mean please?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Is doesn't feel too hot in here. Any suggestions. He is a dental bun who's just had an op on his teeth and neutering. He looks like his is breathing really fast, from what i can see from the rise and fall of his belly.

Please can someone give me some advice on this, i'm abit worried about him. Thanks x

Pain can cause an increase in respiratory rate

Have you checked his 'bits' ?
Do they look very bruised and swollen ?

Saw your post and just wanted to say Basil does this sometimes, but I have no idea why. I thought that he was just a bit over excited, he's always running about. Sorry cannot be of more help to you.

Pain can cause an increase in respiratory rate

Have you checked his 'bits' ?
Do they look very bruised and swollen ?

No i've not- but the vet checked the other day and said he was fine. He hasn't been running about.

Can you tell me how i go about suggesting pain relief to my vet- what is best to ask for? I asked him, but he just said he was fine.

xx

Saw your post and just wanted to say Basil does this sometimes, but I have no idea why. I thought that he was just a bit over excited, he's always running about. Sorry cannot be of more help to you.

No running about unfortunately or i could understand it. Will get him to the vets again tomorrow. He seems relaxed, just quite fast breathing. x

I would go with the pain option too. Wesley's first indication of pain is a rapid respiratory rate.

The normal pain relief for rabbits is metacam

No i've not- but the vet checked the other day and said he was fine. He hasn't been running about.

Can you tell me how i go about suggesting pain relief to my vet- what is best to ask for? I asked him, but he just said he was fine.

xx

I posted a link on a previous thread where you asked the same Q which you can print off and give to your vet. Normal pain relief to ask for as a first port of call would be an oral NSAID. However, if bun is in pain he may need an examination by a vet to check him over.

Here's that link again:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=500

I posted a link on a previous thread where you asked the same Q which you can print off and give to your vet. Normal pain relief to ask for as a first port of call would be an oral NSAID. However, if bun is in pain he may need an examination by a vet to check him over.

Here's that link again:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=500

Saving that in my favourites, thanks for that PrettyLupin :)

Ambience, if Patch is in pain, could you not get him to a vet any earlier than tomorrow?

Saving that in my favourites, thanks for that PrettyLupin :)

Ambience, if Patch is in pain, could you not get him to a vet any earlier than tomorrow?

I think she is at the vets today, I hope so as he definitely needs to see a vet asap with rapid breathing

My apologies to all.

Pain killer related inability to actually read post times/dates... :oops:

Hope Patch is okay Ambience! Let us all know when you get back please!

Aww thankyou everyone for all your concerns. I've got patch some meds and he is looking much better now.

My boyfriend even noticed, and he doesn't notice anything.

He is not panting anymore at all thankfully.

His eyes are also looking a little better and his coat overall. I'm thinking he is improving bless him.

I'm hoping blaze will get through everything on Monday with his dental op , tear duct flush and neuter. It seems like a lot to be going through at once.

xxx

The vet just said what i described could be pain.

Patch is much better thank you everyone for asking *hugs*,

He is very lively at the moment. Blaze is opposite him as i'm keeping them both in with me and keeping an eye on them.

I'm visting the vets regularly with them. Does anyone know if dental buns with spurs have a lower life expectancy than buns that don't suffer such problems.

Also neither of them are eating hay. I'm getting some protexin pro fibre as they are eating pellets. Any other suggestions which i can add to there diet. Currently it's pellets, coriander, basil, parsley, cabbage, cucumber, carrot.

I'm just ordering from pet meds at the moment. Any other suggestions would be appreciated- if non prescription of course.

Thanks xx

Back