• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I have a 2 month old dwarf lop bunny, - When I go to the vet.

Yep, definately. :)

You'll need to get your bunny vaccinated for myxi and VHD - two seperate injections. They can't be done on the same day - you'll probably find that they'll do the myxi jab first and then make an appointment for the VHD jab in a weeks time.

I'm not enitrely sure if 8 weeks is too young to vaccinate so ask your vet and they'll advise you (or another forum member will pop along soon to tell you, I'm sure!). :wave:

Hello,:wave:
Definitely get the mxyi jab, it is only one injection but it is also important to get VHD which is given a week or two after mxyi, it does mean two trips to the vet but so important to get both jabs. 8 weeks is fine for mxyi i think but the vet will confirm that.
Also make sure the vet weighs bun and checks teeth, ears and eyes. They should do this before giving the vaccination anyway.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/vaccination.asp This link gives you more details about vaccinations and what ages that they can be done from.

Do you know if your rabbit is male or female. If it is male you can book it in for neutering between 12 - 16 weeks depending on when it becomes sexually mature. If you have a female they can be neutered between 5 - 6 months old. I rabbit savvy vet is essential, if you dont have a vet you can trust, let us know the rough area where you live and someone will be able to make a recommendation for you.

I was recommeneded a vet in Gosport the other day, but I can't think what it was called...

Give me a second and I'll see if I can find it! :)

ETA - It was 'Bluesmum' who recommended them and the vets is Alver Vets http://www.alvervets.co.uk/

I've never used them myself (the sea's in the way :lol:) but I'd trust Bluesmum to make a good suggestion, I'm sure she wouldn't of recommended them if they were rubbish!

When you ring a vet for an appointment, I'd suggest asking for an appt. with the exotics vet. At the vet I use, the receptionists seem to just fit me in with whichever vet is free rather than picking the best vet to deal with my pet, unless I specifically ask for a certain one.

Last edited:
I live in Hampshire so their or in Berkshire would be great plz.

I would recommend John Chitty of JC Exotic Pet Consultancy.co.uk. If you look that up on web will give you his phone details etc. He's a rabbit savvy vet who sees people in Salisbury, also at Finkley Down Farm, nr Andover, and at other places by arrangement. He's excellent. If you ring him he will advise and arrange consultation.

Back